• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists Only: Genesis Creation Story, Fact or Myth?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe the story of creation is symbolic, as was most of Genesis (at least the creation stories and maybe even the flood). These were stories that were (according to some scholars) passed by word of mouth generation to generation until they were finally written down. They may have even been songs that were passed down according to one show I watched. In that way, they contain truths but are not literal stories.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
To me, the entire Abrahamic Bible is myth. However, I don't feel that the word "myth" defines the level of accuracy. Many of my sacred writings are referred to as "Egyptian Mythology." I believe that these are real tales from long ago, despite the word "myth" associated with them. I wonder if, some day, the Abrahamic writings will be referred to as "Christian Mythology" or "Abrahamic Mythology."

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
To me, the entire Abrahamic Bible is myth. However, I don't feel that the word "myth" defines the level of accuracy. Many of my sacred writings are referred to as "Egyptian Mythology." I believe that these are real tales from long ago, despite the word "myth" associated with them. I wonder if, some day, the Abrahamic writings will be referred to as "Christian Mythology" or "Abrahamic Mythology."

Enchanted One so you think Set literally ate the semen of Horus on a piece of lettuce? :areyoucra

Rainbow Mage

I think Genesis is a myth, not just the creation story, but most of the book. There's a lot of myth in the OT mixed in with the history of the ancient Israelites. The Garden of Eden myth could have a deeper spiritual meaning, but I don't think it's literal. I certainly don't think snakes talk.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It is myth. The first 12 chapters of Genesis are intended to by myth, and most scholars recognize that much. Even mainline seminary teaches that (especially Lutheran seminary, and now Catholic seminary). Most credibly college courses on the subject will teach the same as well.

The funny thing is, there are two creation stories in Genesis. The reason is that Genesis, and the "books of Moses" are based from four sources that were interweaved together. The Hebrew shows this a little better, but is still evident in the two creation stories and two flood stories. Just the fact that the two creation stories can't even agree suggest that neither one can actually be fully true.

Not to mention that evolution is a fact, and we know that the Earth is much older than what the creation story would suggest.

Rainbow Mage

The funny thing is, there are two creation stories in Genesis.

:Yes: And I wonder why one of them says God made male and female together, but another says God made female from male? One seems to put forth that God is both male and female (Monism) and made both male and female in "it's" image. The other puts forth the position that has come to be accepted, that male and female are not equals.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
myth... it's a particular cultures attempt to place themselves in the world and teach key cultural values to the next generation.

wa:do

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
:Yes: And I wonder why one of them says God made male and female together, but another says God made female from male? One seems to put forth that God is both male and female (Monism) and made both male and female in "it's" image. The other puts forth the position that has come to be accepted, that male and female are not equals.

I was watching a NOVA special (Secrets of the Bible) on DVD that had scholars who said that the reason for all these variations is because there is more than one creation story used. I like listening to these kinds of scholars and such.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I was watching a NOVA special (Secrets of the Bible) on DVD that had scholars who said that the reason for all these variations is because there is more than one creation story used. I like listening to these kinds of scholars and such.
I have that Nova Special. I thought it was quite informative and a very enjoyable viewing.