• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists Mostly: God

PureX

Veteran Member
Is God an abstract concept?

Why, why not?
Yes. Very.

"God" is the placeholder for the mystery of existence ... the what and how and why of it all. It's why we invent all sorts of images and concepts to represent that mystery for us and to us, so we can feel as if we understand it, somewhat. And maybe can control it, somewhat. A lot of people need to feel as if they know and control their own destiny. Some use the ideal of science to create that illusion for themselves, but most still use the ideal of God to do that.

The mystery exists, and confuses and frightens us, because we humans don't like not knowing. Knowing things is our "superpower". It's how we survive and thrive. So when we are faced with our not knowing, we feel vulnerable, and fearful. And this makes "God" a very important abstract idealization for us.

Last edited:

Colt

Why, why not?
No, God is absolute truth. "God is the first truth and the last fact; therefore does all truth take origin in him, while all facts exist relative to him."

Why? As he said, "I AM that I AM"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Before attempting an answer, might I ask for a concrete definition of this "God" you're referencing?
I left it vague so any Theist with any God-concept could answer based on his own concept. So answer based on whichever God you're most familiar with, or what comes to mind when you think of God.

Colt

But is not 'absolute truth' itself an abstract concept when applied in this way? 'Truth' is a concept many have argued over.
The (not God) Finites are forced to conceptualize when pondering or discussing the Infinite God. But that doesn't mean that God is ultimately an abstraction.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)

Why, why not?
Abstract
Existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence

Concept
An idea or mental image which corresponds to some distinct entity or class of entities, or to its essential features

Abstract concept
Abstract concepts refer to entities that have no physical or spatial constraints because they have no direct representation in the physical world.
It does not exist at a particular time or place but as a type of thing.
Examples of abstract concepts are emotions, metaphors, and abstract actions (e.g., thinking).

Therefore whether God is an abstract concept or not depends on:
1. How does one define God
2. Whether one believes God is real

PureX

Veteran Member
Just to point out: an automobile is an 'abstract' concept. That doesn't mean that it isn't grounded in an experience of reality. In fact, all abstract concepts will be grounded in an experience of reality. Even if the abstraction is misleading or inaccurate. And of course there will be levels and degrees of abstraction involved.

Last edited:

Colt

But is 'God' an abstract concept? Everything is generally a 'concept'.
If I said I went down to VA Beach where they have a boardwalk and lots of tall hotels, in order for you to understand what I'm saying you would have to "conceptualize", create a picture in real time as you listened. While its true that there is a VA Beach with a boardwalk and tall hotels, the "picture" that you envisioned in your mind would not be entirely accurate. You might hold that vision until actually visiting VA Beach when you would have a new, more accurate picture. With God no matter how far, one progresses in the universe there will always be more to discover about God, our picture, our understanding will keep evolving.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Why, why not?

"God" as a word is abstract. Many years ago I wrote this:

God is a word many define
as a creature made of straw
or perhaps as reverse canine
who from clouds gives down law.

So many claim "God is mine"
or create theological slaw,
I would like to draw a line
and on bad definitions gnaw.

The problem is that words are the medium of the intellect's expression and are thus limited by the intellect. A human trying to under the living divine reality can be likened to an ant trying to understand human intelligence.

There are a few through the ages who have experienced that reality and use words to give a hint to the rest of us.

There are experiences some have that serve as tastes of the reality. There are songs and dances which express a sense of the divine.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I should add, God can also be seen as a concrete-literal deity object. Then later on, as an abstract concept. Then later on, as art and inspiration. Then later on realized as one's own Reality itself. So it's progressive in that way, one could say, on a path of Self realization.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Why, why not?
I don't know and neither does anybody else.
But admitting to god being an abstract concept would help theists a lot. Abstract concepts aren't real and therefore don't need any evidence. God being not only a concept but a construct doesn't even need proof - just the consent of the believers.
But my guess is that consent of believers only exists once the last but one believer dies or de-converts.