• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists, how do you worship your God(s)?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'm interested in learning what "worship" means to you guys, gals and enbies.

What is worship to you? Is it a specific act, an attitude?
Is it a special event, or something you do every day, or every moment?
What acts or methods do you employ when you engage in worship?

Is it something you do consciously, or is it more a state of being that you're either in or not?

Let me know how you approach the topic!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In different ways.

Sometimes its formal, as in a puja(a ritual directed to a specific deity, with the intent of honoring). Sometimes its just leaving a simple offering with a few words and a bow in reverence, or to light a diya and recite a mantra.

Other times its a smile and a silent acknowledgement of thanks.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Outside of very rare occasions, I don't "worship" as it's commonly understood. What I do is "practice the presence of God" (as the book I once read was titled). I also do what in the East is called "karma yoga" - ordinary action in the world where I try to live higher principles.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

Is it something you do consciously, or is it more a state of being that you're either in or not?

For me, the most important part of worship is holding myself to moral standards in my day to day life. When I don’t hold myself to moral standards, I feel guilty saying I am a worshipper of God, because I’m not.
There are specific actions I take which help me maintain moral standards, which in turn culminate into how I practice the act of worshipping God.
When I am properly worshiping, I
- Read. Various holy texts, or philosophical books. I am to learn with the time God has given me, to waste my time not learning induces immorality for me
- Pray. I burn incense and sage as an offering to God. I bow my head and talk to God as I would a person, except for I’m fearful and in reverence. I usually need to ask for forgiveness, and then I thank Him for what I have, and ask for strength to increase my knowledge in Him so I can maintain moral standards.
- Meditate. I meditate specific Buddhist prayers to open my chakras. I envision the Trinity sitting before me as I meditate, it being my Buddha. I do Tai Chi as well.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Nice questions

More an attitude.

My worship is simple ... I worship my body (take good care, so that I don't get sick). Worship my mind (keep it in check, so I stay focussed). Worship my emotions (to stay equal minded)

In short: Live in a way, that my thought, words and deeds are in harmony

Every day...I wish I was that "good"(every moment)

I do like to visit tempels, Churches, Mosques or other places of worship. Especially when there is lots of singing (preferably 10% sermon + 90% singing). But the past 5 years or so, I've not done it

Is it something you do consciously, or is it more a state of being that you're either in or not
I do it consciously (try to be the best me). And gradually I can see it gets natural to do, less conscious needed

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I tape photos of people on my wall I wish to honor, bless or pay homage to. I talk to them and God, and make my petitions and requests known, for Scripture says "ask and you shall receive", so I do a lot of asking.

I write letters to Kami, burn candles and incense, and enshrine them.

I attend Mass, receive Holy communion, and offer the treasures of Holy communion to the Kami I love and am devoted to.

I also pray the Rosary, many Hail Marys, and Marian prayers, as well as sing and chant praises to God, Angels, Saints, and benevolent, wise, charitable spirits!

Viker

Häxan
For me it is about reverence, respect, appreciation and connection.

I will go from simple solitary rituals/invocations to the more grandiose group ceremonies, the bonfires and sort.

syo

I simple perform small rituals (I light candles). If there were pagan temples, I'd donate food. But there aren't pagan temples. So, I can't donate food.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

For me, worship means adoration due to the Creator, whose presence fills me with both joy and fear, because he is so awesome. I usually worship in conventional ways -- praying with my prayer book, singing psalms... But I have tried out other forms of worship. For example, in my 20s, I started a "prayer garden" where I could be with God through the mindfulness involved in growing flowers.