• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: How do you determine that God is not a malevolent being?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The reason the Vikings were mentioned is because those are my ancestors.
No, the reason you mentioned vikings is because you know that I worship the Norse gods, and I criticized your god.

The Christian teachings have nothing to do with their implementation in Europe.
We're not talking about Christian teachings now. We're talking about cultural actions carried out in the name of their gods. In this case, Christianity's bloody conquest versus the vikings occasional raid.

While God has done many things you don't agree with, he is telling Christians to be peaceful.
Unless he's telling them to "go forth and kill" any group of people that he doesn't like.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I said hard to find, not impossible.
That really wasn't all that hard to find. At all. Drug cartels in South and Central America are well known to be very corrupt and brutal. The Middle East has been a hell-hole for as long as anyone can remember. And North Korea is a no-brainer.

Though, the question here is - is the civilian NK population violent?
Given the propaganda that they're fed, and resulting mentalities towards every American (and South Korean) man, woman and child? I'd say so, yeah. Not to mention that every man there is in their army.

Grandliseur

is because you know that I worship the Norse gods, and I criticized your god.
You are wrong. I was not thinking about you. I grew up with the stories about Vikings, both embellished good, and the truer bad ones. They committed terrible atrocities, but did great things, went far, taught the British the value of ships and sailing.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
You are wrong. I was not thinking about you.
I don't believe that for a second, grand.

They committed terrible atrocities
Like?

And, do you know the reason he told them to kill the nations of the Promised land? Many do not know. Perhaps you do!
Which excuse would you like to lead with; that your god wanted the "holy land" cleared of every temptation that might lead his people astray, or because the Canaanites were sinners in his eyes and the wages of sin are death?

endless nothing

It's a serious question. I am reading a book on philosophy of religion so the question cropped up. Clearly a sufficiently powerful malevolent being can deceive any theist into thinking he is a good God. So how do you verify that your good is not a powerful malevolent being? In fact how do you no that God himself is not a malevolent being? Evidence and arguments welcome.

:)

Note:- This is a thread for those interested in discussing theological, metaphysical and philosophical arguments and evidence that justifies or negates various worldviews. If one is not interested in such things, that's perfectly fine and the thread is not for you. :)
God is always right so if one finds something God does malevolent then it's human error.

Grandliseur

Because he's such a benevolent god?
Of course! ;)

God promised the Promised land to Abraham's descendants. Why do you think it wasn't given to Abraham right then?
Genesis 15:15-16 . . .. 16 But in the fourth generation they will return here, because the error of the Am′or‧ites has not yet come to completion.”​
The people living in the promised land had descended into worship of their deities that included human sacrifice and the killing of children, which later Israel also succumbed to - for which they were made to suffer God's wrath also.

This is the reason God wanted these people erased. He has done it other places in the world, South and Middle America nations that practiced this are nowhere to be found today. They also were erased as cultures, though the people remain but without the disgusting customs. An American tribe also is gone - the Anasazi, whom also began this kind of practice. Beyond a certain level of evil, God erases such nations.

Grandliseur

I don't believe that for a second, grand.

Like?

Which excuse would you like to lead with; that your god wanted the "holy land" cleared of every temptation that might lead his people astray, or because the Canaanites were sinners in his eyes and the wages of sin are death?
I don't lie. Why would I be writing that with you in mind!
I have the right to my own opinions on the Vikings since I am a descendant. I suffered from the beserker syndrome in my younger years. I still believe in violence as a means of resolving some problems, even many.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Of course! ;)

God promised the Promised land to Abraham's descendants. Why do you think it wasn't given to Abraham right then?
Genesis 15:15-16 . . .. 16 But in the fourth generation they will return here, because the error of the Am′or‧ites has not yet come to completion.”​
The people living in the promised land had descended into worship of their deities that included human sacrifice and the killing of children, which later Israel also succumbed to - for which they were made to suffer God's wrath also.

This is the reason God wanted these people erased. He has done it other places in the world, South and Middle America nations that practiced this are nowhere to be found today. They also were erased as cultures, though the people remain but without the disgusting customs. An American tribe also is gone - the Anasazi, whom also began this kind of practice. Beyond a certain level of evil, God erases such nations.

Because a "good" god does things that we would consider "horrible" if we did them ourselves. Makes perfect sense.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I have the right to my own opinions on the Vikings since I am a descendant.
And your opinions are still license to be wrong. Also you are a descendant of the Norse. A viking was a profession, not the culture.

Also stop dodging questions: what "terrible atrocities" did the Norse commit?

I suffered from the beserker syndrome in my younger years. I still believe in violence as a means of resolving some problems, even many.
That... not what the berserkergang were.

Other question that you're dodging: which excuse do you go with for your god malevolently ordering the slaughter of Canaanite men, women and children?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
In the old days when people say around a campfire telling "my god is better than your god" stories. They found the end to that

Did they, really?

Are you aware of how many religions are in existence right now? How many gods and goddesses are held to be real by those in adherence?

endless nothing

Did they, really?

Are you aware of how many religions are in existence right now? How many gods and goddesses are held to be real by those in adherence?
All of which are characters in stories we tell each other whose sole claim to exist
There are many gods that have faults and make mistakes, and are far from omniscient. Even the Christian god admitted to making mistakes.
All of which are characters in stories we tell each other whose sole claim to exist is people choosing to believe they do. I could be wrong but I don't think Jehovah or Jesus ever said they made a mistake