• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists - are god(s) interested in you?

In general, god(s) take an interest in me and my life.

• Strongly agree

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Agree

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Neither agree nor disagree

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Theists of the forums! To what degree do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

Please interpret "god(s)" to be whatever power or entity that occupies a place of reverence and worship in your life. Also note that this question isn't assuming that the interest is benevolent or malevolent. That's a separate question. Speaking of which...

If you answered "agree" or "strongly agree" to the above question, how would you characterize the interest god(s) have in you? Would you say they are interested because they care (benevolent)? Would you say they are interested because they are out to get you (malevolent)? A bit of both or something in between?
Feel free to expand upon your response - particularly what religious teachings you identify with (if any) and how they relate to your perspective on god(s).

For our resident non-theists, the poll and question are not for you, but what do you think about the various theistic perspectives on god(s) taking interest in humans? Is it something you've found interesting? Off-putting? Something else?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I meant to make it a public poll. :sweat:

At any rate, I voted "strongly disagree." It's something of an inevitability with the theology I've developed over time. When your gods are basically the universe and all of its aspects, there's scant reason to believe most of the universe is aware you exist, much less takes an interest in you. Additionally, while I view the gods as persons in the sense that they are individuals with their own character and interests, I don't tend to view them as persons for whom an affect like "interested" necessarily applies. The Sacred Four are not "interested" in things, they are what they are. I'm very, very interested in Them, but it's not a reciprocal interest.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Non-theist here. I've always found it curious that Christians in particular think that God is watching over their every move, however mundane (please God help me find a parking place). It makes me want to ask them to pin down exactly what they think God is because they seem to give him human characteristics, which strikes me as odd. Humans are imperfect, so why would you do that? What if God is an alien intelligence that is completely incomprehensible to humans? Isn't it a bit self-important to think God is focused on every detail of one's personal life? (No offense intended, just musing)

Apologes

I share the dominant view that God is interested in humanity in general not just me and that He has a plan for everyone's life.

The full picture in which this view is embedded is described under the religion on my profile and will serve to answer your other questions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Theists of the forums! To what degree do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

Please interpret "god(s)" to be whatever power or entity that occupies a place of reverence and worship in your life. Also note that this question isn't assuming that the interest is benevolent or malevolent. That's a separate question. Speaking of which...

If you answered "agree" or "strongly agree" to the above question, how would you characterize the interest god(s) have in you? Would you say they are interested because they care (benevolent)? Would you say they are interested because they are out to get you (malevolent)? A bit of both or something in between?
Feel free to expand upon your response - particularly what religious teachings you identify with (if any) and how they relate to your perspective on god(s).

For our resident non-theists, the poll and question are not for you, but what do you think about the various theistic perspectives on god(s) taking interest in humans? Is it something you've found interesting? Off-putting? Something else?

Its interesting, but from an abrahamic understanding, I can see a need for god to be interested intimately in another persons life. I dont know about Pagan gods but Im also curious to how you and deists would answer your questions.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
My position is that I strongly agree because He loves to be intricately involved in all areas of my life. Sometimes, however, I limit His desires.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe so. Some people believe their God(s) watch over them day and night. Others believe their God(s) don’t care. I’m in the middle. I don’t believe my God(s) hover over me or are Peeping Toms but I believe they see me out of the corner of their eye. They leave me alone until I call on them or truly need them, then they come running.

There’s a Hindu story in which the elephant king’s foot was clamped onto by a crocodile. For a thousand years the elephant fought to free himself. He thought he had the strength to do it. But when he saw his strength was failing.he plucked a lotus flower from the water, held it up and called out to Vishnu, who suddenly appeared to rescue the elephant. The moral is that God will leave us alone until we truly need him/her then come running. Or in this case flying... Vishnu came flying in on his eagle Garuda.

5CE8D0A0-4539-480C-8962-8D815F55E87B.jpeg

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted 'agree'.

I come from an advaita (non-dual=God and creation are not-two). In my thinking gods (lower case 'g') are beings that work for the advancement of spirituality. There I 'agree' they are interested in us and our progress.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I strongly agree.

If you answered "agree" or "strongly agree" to the above question, how would you characterize the interest god(s) have in you? Would you say they are interested because they care (benevolent)? Would you say they are interested because they are out to get you (malevolent)? A bit of both or something in between? Feel free to expand upon your response - particularly what religious teachings you identify with (if any) and how they relate to your perspective on god(s).
I believe that God knows me personally and cares deeply about me. Mormons believe each and every one of us lived in God's presence as a non-corporeal spirit being prior to our birth here on earth, and that we knew one another as a parent and child know each other. We believe He offered us the opportunity to experience mortality and that we are here by choice. We believe He hears our prayers and answers them. That doesn't mean we believe He will grant us everything we ask for any more than an earthly parent will grant his child everything he asks for. He does want us to have a relationship with Him, though, and to acknowledge that every good thing we have in this life is a gift from Him. He wants us to recognize His power and authority and to look to Him as someone who genuinely wants the best for us.

Okay... I'm ready for the onslaught of critical comments from certain posters whom I expect not only to take issue with me but to do so in a snarky, antagonistic way (present company excepted, of course).

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

I answered "neither agree nor disagree". Even though I'm fairly certain Aphrodite has been kind enough to bless me with what I have asked her for on more than a single occasion I'm honestly unsure if this means She has taken an interest in my life or not.

At this point I'm not really sure it matters a great deal whether She is or not - I suspect a universe in which the Cyprian or any other gods are interested in my life would look much the same as one where they are not.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Not in my camp. :)
Thank you!

My position is that I strongly disagree because He loves to be intricately involved in all areas of my life. Sometimes, however, I limit His desires.
Wait a sec... That's confusing. You say your strongly disagree (which would be saying that He does not take an interest in you and your life), but you go on to say that He loves to be involved in all areas of your life. Either I'm misunderstanding you or else you misunderstood the OPs question. Could you maybe clarify what you meant?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Wait a sec... That's confusing. You say your strongly disagree (which would be saying that He does not take an interest in you and your life), but you go on to say that He loves to be involved in all areas of your life. Either I'm misunderstanding you or else you misunderstood the OPs question. Could you maybe clarify what you meant?
oops... :) corrected

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
As a theist i agree. The Supreme Lord resides in everyone's hearts as the atma, and dispassionately observes all our actions. The Supreme is very benevolent, and is pleased with us even if we do one good thing in a throng of evil decisions. The Supreme is also a chastiser, like the way mothers chastise their sons. He is eternally active in everyone and everything.

syo

I voted ''strongly agree''. The Gods created the Rules. One part of the Rules is to give individuals a list of Choices. The Gods are interested in our Choices.

Gallowglass

I voted agree, and I think benevolent, but that is not to say all gods are interested in my life. Most of them are not, and probably don’t even know I exist. However, I believe it’s a little like parents here. My parents know and love me, and they know that there are other children out there. They simply don’t parent children who aren’t theirs, and don’t pretend to know everyone else’s kids.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It depends on the god, I'd say. The god of Abraham, for example, is - according to the texts - really only interested in his people; the Israelites. Rán, on the other hand, wouldn't be very interested in mankind. Then on yet another hand, Odin may be quite interested in various tales and happenings around Midgard.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I strongly agree and the reason I think will also answer @Orbit 's last question and that is that the Jewish G-d is infinite and that means that nothing has greater or less importance in comparison to another from G-d's viewpoint because they're all the same infinitely distant from Him. Measurements have no meaning against infinity, so there is no reason why G-d should care less about which shoe I put on first than about whether I punch a child in the face.

The counter argument can be that maybe G-d cares about nothing because He is equally distant from it all. For that I can only bring verses that indicate that G-d remains consistently involved in the Creation, such as Deut. 8:3 that describes man's life as continuously emanating from G-d and Isa. 45:7 that places creation in the present tense indicating that G-d' continuously causes the creation to exist. So once we know that G-d is involved, it follows from the above that it should be complete involvement.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Heh... “off-putting” is a good way to put how I find it when someone tells me that their god takes a strong interest in them.

When it comes to Christians, I usually find it an example of veilied arrogance: “I’m humble, but I the almighty lord of the universe thinks enough of me to have a special relationship with me and go out of his way for me.” Humblebragging, but from before the term was coined.

I also think that anyone who thinks that their god has a strong interest in them has no excuse whatsoever for not being able to show that their god exists. Someone who believes that their god hasn’t been around since the creation of the universe or only pops by occasionally might have reason to say that their god is unfalsifiably out beyond our ken somewhere, but a god who constantly interacts with human beings should constantly be within humanity’s sphere of knowledge.