• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theistic Evolution

BenFranklinFan

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
My position on the evolution-creation debate is theistic evolution. I believe that God was directly involved in the evolutionary process. The Genesis account, while detailed, shouldn't be taken literally. I interpret the days as stages of creation, rather than literal 24 hour days. For example, when the author states that God commanded something to be created, and it occurred in a "day", what it is is a marker for a different stage of creation ( 100 of millions of years).

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My position on the evolution-creation debate is theistic evolution. I believe that God was directly involved in the evolutionary process. The Genesis account, while detailed, shouldn't be taken literally. I interpret the days as stages of creation, rather than literal 24 hour days. For example, when the author states that God commanded something to be created, and it occurred in a "day", what it is is a marker for a different stage of creation ( 100 of millions of years).

Is God also involved in the fine timing of asteroids hitting the earth at the right moment, so that rats looking creatures can leave their stinking hole to become, eventually, the very reason He created the universe for?

Really?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Is God also involved in the fine timing of asteroids hitting the earth at the right moment, so that rats looking creatures can leave their stinking hole to become, eventually, the very reason He created the universe?

The "very reason He created the universe" is a matter of subjective opinion--but yes, God structured all of time when He structured all of space, every moment just as fastidiously designed as every millimeter. We know this is true (at least, if God IS the creator of the universe), because as Einstein and others have shown us, space and time are but two aspects of the same thing. God could not have structured the expanse of space without structuring the expanse of time as well.

Yes, really!

Axe Elf

Prophet
The Genesis account, while detailed, shouldn't be taken literally.

Detailed?

First there were swimmy things, then crawly and flying things, then animals, and then man.

While roughly reflective of the generally-accepted order of evolution, I wouldn't say that the Genesis account is "detailed" in any way.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
While it is true that reducing discussions to a vague terminology Olympics might make things more understandable one runs the risk of losing meaning altogether.

BenFranklinFan

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Detailed?

First there were swimmy things, then crawly and flying things, then animals, and then man.

While roughly reflective of the generally-accepted order of evolution, I wouldn't say that the Genesis account is "detailed" in any way.
I meant beautiful woops

Ellen Brown

Finally, the voice of common sense !!!

David T

Premium Member
Eve ate the apple that's the story. Its intro is not the story just the setting is all. Reading comprehension in metaphysics generally is illiterate.

Audie

Veteran Member

WHY do you believe that?

Ellen Brown

All he is saying is that Genesis is metaphorical. That is hardly a revelation. What do you see in his words that is so sensible?

I don't feel that what he is saying is limited to the book of Genesis. For me, it encompasses that whole Evolution/Creation issue and so much else.

ecco

Veteran Member
So, like every other person of every other religion, you pick and choose what to believe as historical fact and what to regard as allegory.

Nothing new here.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Ah ,,, so god(s) don't play dice with the universe, they just blow on the dice.