• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theism: providing evidence

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Here's how this goes for me: get asked for evidence/reasons for my belief, write an essay, get told I'm a moron because my interpretation and logic doesn't fit with materialism. Does this happen to anyone else? It feels to me like theists provide evidence and valid logic for gods ALL THE TIME, to what avail? Honestly I find it exhausting to the point where I don't even care to share anymore. If a materialist put aside their preconceived belief that pure materialism is the proven answer they would see evidence and arguments that can be used to support gods all around them. Is it the theist's fault that we can't break through dogmatic faith?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You have ironically fallen for the same error you are railing against by suggesting that materialists have "dogmatic faith" because they disagree with you. Sure, some materialists dismiss theism and reasons thereof in a casual manner, but not all of us reject theism just because of the "dogmatic faith" you speak of. Many of us just don't find theism convincing, and to call us dogmatic because of that strikes me as the most ironic form of dogma.

outhouse

Atheistically
It feels to me like theists provide evidence and valid logic for gods ALL THE TIME, to what avail?

Your feelings have little to do with the actual possibility of credible evidence.

To date all of such has fallen into pseudoscience and rely on supernatural unsubstantiated claims.

. If a materialist

Ya good luck with that blatant stereotype

If a materialist put aside their preconceived belief that pure materialism is the proven answer they would see evidence and arguments that can be used to support gods all around them

No.

That has nothing to do with our knowledge.

We actually see how the mythology was created that defined what you call a deity, that used and played on human emotions and feelings at its core. As these faiths were a way of life.

Is it the theist's fault that we can't break through dogmatic faith?

It is your fallacy that is at issue here, nothing else.

We do not have faith, you do. There is nothing dogmatic about credible means of study, and those who refuse it to promote pseudoscience.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I try to avoid calling people morons but I have not seen enough evidence to be convinced of the existence of gods. I don't see any viable obstructions to natural processes where a god would be necessary, or a physical event where a non-physical source is a less presumptuous than a physical one. So I consider gods to be an unnecessary addition to the equation.
I don't feel that calls to emotion (being awed by the world or physical complexity) should lead me to believe in god(s), I hesitate to accept claims of the supernatural no more or less than claims of extraterrestrial experience or other extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence.

All that said: you do not owe it to me to prove your belief or why you believe. If I don't accept or echo your experiences, so what? That's on me, not you. You only make it on you if you need me to believe you. And I only mention my lack of belief in god(s) when someone asks me why I don't or tells me I should.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Here's how this goes for me: get asked for evidence/reasons for my belief, write an essay, get told I'm a moron because my interpretation and logic doesn't fit with materialism. Does this happen to anyone else? It feels to me like theists provide evidence and valid logic for gods ALL THE TIME, to what avail? Honestly I find it exhausting to the point where I don't even care to share anymore. If a materialist put aside their preconceived belief that pure materialism is the proven answer they would see evidence and arguments that can be used to support gods all around them. Is it the theist's fault that we can't break through dogmatic faith?
Not all atheists reject your evidence as evidence. Some just see more evidence to diminish that evidence which a theist might provide, or evidence contrary to the theists claims.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

[ModHat]Folks, if someone flat out says "you're a moron" in response to something you post, please make use of the "Report" function at the bottom of the post and let the staff know. Language like that would be a blatant Rule 1 violation[/ModHat]

In terms of the spirit of what you are saying, we might observe a couple of things.

Firstly, that a person's ability to paradigm shift - their ability to see things from a different point of view and acknowledge that there is sound reason, evidence, or logic behind it - varies from person to person. Cultural norms compound the challenge of paradigm shifting for some people. Accepting that the other person is reasonable and that their perspective has merit is seen by some as an admission of "defeat" or that they must "convert" to that perspective given it is "true."

Secondly, that the communication skills a person brings to bear in any given exchange also varies from person to person. In particular, we often fail to practice active listening, which means people don't feel like they have been heard. It's fine and dandy for people to disagree with each other, but it can be difficult when you get the impression that the other person hasn't really listened to you. This, perhaps above all else, can give us the impression that the conversation is pointless, because although you've done your darnedest to explain "yes, this really does make sense to me," the other person doesn't acknowledge that effort.

You ask the question - is it a theist's fault that they can't break through. Communication always involves at least two people. If there's a failure of communication, it is the responsibility of both parties. A skilled communicator can work around these challenges, but doing this is much more difficult on a medium like an internet forum (lack of vocal cues, body language, immediacy). Do I get frustrated when I present exactly what the other person asks for and don't get listened to? $#@% yes, I do, but it's my job to try to work around that, and I aim to have the patience to do so. That said, I also aim to recognize lost causes and wastes of my time and effort.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

I think part of the problem is miscommunication, since we tend to use the same words to refer to different things. Modern English developed around Enlightenment philosophy and post-reformation Christianity, which in the US, often involved puritanical philosophies. It's not really suitable to adequately communicating the full complexities of theism and theistic belief.

Hence, I've long just given up on trying to provide logic or evidence for my theistic belief. Communicating my beliefs in English requires specialized vernacular that most English speakers are unfamiliar with, much of it reconstructed from archaic terms, and non-standard definitions for words.

outhouse

Atheistically
. Openly non-scientific reasoning is not pseudoscience.

But the OP demonstrated such with his comments on logic, when no credible evidence actually exist.

I would have agreed but non scientific reasoning can be pseudoscience and it may not be.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Then you should have a good idea of how the materialist feels when . . . .

Jehova-getuigen-296x382.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, now this is a pet peeve of mine: people using "pseudoscience" to mean anything that isn't science. Pseudoscience is specifically frauds branded as science. Openly non-scientific reasoning is not pseudoscience.

For better or worse, the use of the term has deteriorated in common parlance to mean anything that isn't science. Drives me nuts too, but the evolution of language is what it is. I hate how the term "faith" is equated with "blind faith" in some people's vocabulary too, but it doesn't change that being a valid usage. :shrug:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
For better or worse, the use of the term has deteriorated in common parlance to mean anything that isn't science. Drives me nuts too, but the evolution of language is what it is. I hate how the term "faith" is equated with "blind faith" in some people's vocabulary too, but it doesn't change that being a valid usage. :shrug:

Doesn't help that a lot of scientific vernacular also gets thrown around in common parlance, often in ways different than, sometimes contrary to, the original meaning.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

You're free to believe whatever you want to believe without being held to any rigorous or stringent standards for holding your beliefs. That is your right. But it is not your right to insist that others hold the same lax standards you do in considering what constitutes sound or unsound evidence for your beliefs. If others hold to a higher standard, that is their right.

Laika

Premium Member

No. It's not your fault. I've had this experience recently in a number of debates where no matter how much I tell the truth, no matter what evidence I provide or what ever argument I present, it does not qualify as "evidence" even when I know the subject backwards. Instead I am subjected to a torrent of personal abuse because I am not providing what is considered a "rational" argument. it ends up being my fault and its like being subject to an interrogation. whatever people's intentions, it comes off as hostile.

I hate it. I hate it because you're left feeling that your never good enough. no matter what argument you present, it is always a personal violation and an attack. So part of me just "doesn't want to play anymore" or otherwise wants to turn the tables somehow and return the same level of abuse. you can't win though, and that sucks. the people who do it aren't open to new ideas. they are just asserting their own and using argument to deconstruct other people and their beliefs. the reason I discuss things online isn't to be subject to someone else's burden of proof but because I need people to talk to, want advice and need people to fill in the gaps occassionally. sometimes its just nice to share too and take pride in what you know and can do. but you can't really do that when it gets shouted down because having an informed opinion is offensive to people who defend their ignorance as virtous "scepticism".

I don't know where I'm going, and if anything being subject to this kind of abuse hardens me and makes me want to walk away from more moderate paths of reasoning. thats something I'm trying hard to fight against even if it would be alot easier. it leaves me feeling passionately angry, hurt and betrayed that I could ever have believed I knew better or that I was once like the people who humiliate me. the last thing I wanted to do was to be reminded how lonely I feel, how my beliefs defy the conventional wisdom and have that be used as a measure of self-worth and feel alienated or marginalised for not agreeing with people who don't know and don't care they don't know- but still want to shove their opinions down your throat anyway.

here's the fun part.

I am a materialist. And I've reached the point where I know I "can't" prove it in any absolute sense. its an argument I'm deeply uncomfortable making because I'm going out of my comfort zone and accepting that some level of nihilism is both necessary and healthy. acceptence of that is hard and defies all my past understanding. beliefs are there for us to live by and they are as imperfect as we are. there is some dimension of "faith" in science that our ideas do correspond to the objective world and that the proof we have is sufficient for the practical application of our ideas. absolute proof is impossible as the mind is not pure. however, someone will no doubt shout that down and ignore the massive philosophical background to the development of science, all the way from ancient greece up to the 19th century. it was only then that people started thinking science was self-evident and started to so narrow their perception based on what they thought was rational. the free thinkers are often the most conventional. they wouldn't dare entertain a dangerous or extreme thought because it is outside of the socially accepted standards of "rationality" and "proof". they are the unwitting prisoners of their own reason, isolating themselves from anything which even hints at subjectivity.

And yeah. I half want to delete this because of the torrent of replies I could get, picking holes in my argument with one line truisms, assertions of logicall fallacies and other "rational" arguments because something thinks I'm an idiot. And even when I reply with a deatiled explanation of why there wrong, it's still not an "valid" argument. it doesn't advance either knowledge or truth, but comes down to a toxic ritualised humilation through employing ridicule to make people feel inferior.

rational argument is about education and enlightenment. its not supposed to be a powerplay. but it seems that alot of people are unknowingly blind to the difference because they are so conventional in their thinking.

assertions of logicall fallacies

If I was King of RF, I'd make it illegal for anybody to refer to a generic logical fallacy in a reply to a post. Anyone who violated this law would be broken on the wheel or stuck inside an iron maiden.

They have just become stock cliches that are almost always incorrectly used and seem to serve no other purpose than to dismiss a point out of hand without recourse to addressing any of its actual content.

If someone has made a genuinely fallacious argument then it shouldn't be too hard to actually address the point in question in 1-2 sentences and explain why you consider such a point to be a red herring/non sequitur/etc. This would at least establish that someone has understood the point and why they object to it.

As Orwell said "As soon as certain topics are raised, the concrete melts into the abstract and no one seems able to think of turns of speech that are not hackneyed: prose consists less and less of words chosen for the sake of their meaning, and more and more of phrases tacked together like the sections of a prefabricated henhouse."

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's how this goes for me: get asked for evidence/reasons for my belief, write an essay, get told I'm a moron because my interpretation and logic doesn't fit with materialism. Does this happen to anyone else?
Sure. Not always in that order, and never (obviously) about my evidence/reasons for belief in god(s). But being an opinionated sort with some unorthodox beliefs I find them often challenged, belittled, misunderstood, mischaracterized, and dismissed. And, of course, I like to think that I am constantly challenging myself to determine if I am justified in believing what I do (or not believing what I don't).

It feels to me like theists provide evidence and valid logic for gods ALL THE TIME, to what avail?
Too often providing evidence in any debate or discussion, from one about religion or philosophy in a forum to statistical practice in academic conferences and peer-reviewed journals (especially those in the cognitive, social, and behavioral sciences, but also the medical sciences and even particle physics), doesn't seem to have much effect. For example, the literature on the problems that riddle the most commonly employed statistical paradigm across the literature is enormous (dating back before the paradigm even emerged and filling pages in countless journals, monographs, volumes, and so forth), yet even though the various critiques and the evidence backing their legitimacy go largely unanswered by would-be defenders, this methodology is used in an increasing number of fields and shows no sign of slowing down. Small wonder that, in areas that lend themselves far less to rigorous scrutiny, opinions about what the evidence is and what it shows are wont to diverge (even in more formal settings).

If a materialist put aside their preconceived belief that pure materialism is the proven answer they would see evidence and arguments that can be used to support gods all around them.
At this point I'm not sure whether or not modern physics makes materialism a sensible worldview. That is, I find it difficult to defend a materialism given that our most fundamental theories have long since ceased to deal only with the "material" and render difficult the question of just what "material" is supposed to be (do causally efficacious but nonetheless "virtual" particles count? functional emergence? how about information, now regarded by many physicists as the most fundamental layer of "reality"?). Certainly, I find reductionism particularly ill-founded, and to the extent materialism is reductive this is yet another reason to abandon it.
Yet, despite my critiques of materialism, I don't see evidence for god/gods (not evidence I find convincing, although the issue of fine-tuned parameters is something I can't justify dismissing the way e.g., Victor J. Stenger does).
Is it the theist's fault that we can't break through dogmatic faith?
No. But in general holding a position means defending it or arguing for it. Maybe that's not a good thing (certainly, one shouldn't feel constantly challenged to defend their beliefs by those who refuse to contemplate a worldview compatible with these beliefs, let alone evidence for them).
If I was King of RF, I'd make it illegal for anybody to refer to a generic logical fallacy in a reply to a post. Anyone who violated this law would be broken on the wheel or stuck inside an iron maiden.

They have just become stock cliches that are almost always incorrectly used and seem to serve no other purpose than to dismiss a point out of hand without recourse to addressing any of its actual content.
Well put. I started a thread a while back on the fallacy of referring to fallacies.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The only way to win is: Don't play the game.

First, there are valid reasons for any path to exist or lack thereof to exist -- that is largely why they are here. :) If you can't see that you're just plain wrong regardless of your current preference.

Second, no one is listening to you anyway when you argue on the Internet. 5% of the communication you receive in person is actually received here in the form of text. You are missing all of the emotive content, and to a large degree are able to read into what the other person is saying whatever you want.

Third, the "Backfire Effect" is real. The more someone is presented with information contrary to their current belief structure the more they will batten down the hatches and reinforce their mental walls. Atheists and skeptics are no more immune to this than the most vehement theist often they are even more militant because they pick more obvious classes of evidence to use as supports. There are virtually no exclusions to this unless one is detached enough from their ego to empathize with the opponent. Most people aren't...

Lastly, lack of sportsmanship leads to contempt and ruins the spirit of the debate. After all of the first three cases have been established, we are at the point where everything becomes a dogma (even the atheist/skeptical/material view). That creates pure arrogance... Now people are enemies, and they are gonna show them! People don't have arguments and think nice things... Generally, if you are having nasty thoughts about the opposing side of the argument you are doing dogma... Your ideas of what is going are are more important that what the other person actually is saying and their worth. That's a religious argument. Is the focus to explore their ideas or defile them? If it is the latter case.. YOU ARE HERE

If you can actually keep yourself open to new ideas, empathize with your debate opponent, and not take yourself seriously... You might be able to learn something from them... The chance is still low... like 1% of anyone on this forum is balanced enough to do this... :D

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I pretty much agree. Materialist will ask for evidence when what they are really asking for is 'irrefutable evidence ' or 'proof' which they already know is impossible. Don't get too discouraged, just know when to break off conversations.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I pretty much agree. Materialist will ask for evidence when what they are really asking for is 'irrefutable evidence ' or 'proof' which they already know is impossible. Don't get too discouraged, just know when to break off conversations.

What are they asking for other than permission to ignore someone else's view based on arbitrary critera? :p