• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Theism" isnt a personal description of belief. Atheists have to define what atheism means

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Theism isn't a personal descriptipn of belief. It's too broad to have any meaning besides some vague idea.

Ultimately it is up to atheists to figure out what atheism means.
/since atheists are using the word theism to describe their belief or lack of it, ie "atheism"./

Have a nice day.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Theism isn't a personal descriptipn of belief. It's too broad to have any meaning besides some vague idea.

/since atheists are uaing the word theism to describe their belief or lack of it, ie "atheism"./

Have a nice day.

You're leaving it up to us? Awesome.
I define it as not theistic.
Just like theism, it's very broad, and says little about what a person believes, not even indicating a great deal of commonality.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Perfect rubbish. Theism means something very precise, and very well defined. One who says "I am a theist" is saying neither more nor less than "I believe in a deity, and more specifically, I believe in a personal deity." A deist would be able to leave out that last bit -- the theist cannot.
Trust me, we have. The fact that you -- after however many thousands of posts you've read on the subject -- cannot understand that might say something about your ability to read and reason -- it certainly says nothing to discredit the hundreds of answers you've already read and failed to understand. Atheism means (try to remember this for next time -- there might be a test) "I do not believe in the existence of gods." That is what's called a definition. It's what's called "figuring out." If you can't understand it after all that, I strongly suggest you take up classes in linguistic competence.
since atheists are uaing the word theism to describe their belief or lack of it, ie "atheism".
Please try to stop making nonsensical statements. That sentence actually lacks any sort of semantic meaning.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Perfect rubbish. Theism means something very precise, and very well defined. One who says "I am a theist" is saying neither more nor less than "I believe in a deity, and more specifically, I believe in a personal deity." A deist would be able to leave out that last bit -- the theist cannot.

Trust me, we have. The fact that you -- after however many thousands of posts you've read on the subject -- cannot understand that might say something about your ability to read and reason -- it certainly says nothing to discredit the hundreds of answers you've already read and failed to understand. Atheism means (try to remember this for next time -- there might be a test) "I do not believe in the existence of gods." That is what's called a definition. It's what's called "figuring out." If you can't understand it after all that, I strongly suggest you take up classes in linguistic competence.

Please try to stop making nonsensical statements. That sentence actually lacks any sort of semantic meaning.
What part of 'your label, your problem,' are you having difficulty understanding?

Skwim

Veteran Member

/since atheists are using the word theism to describe their belief or lack of it, ie "atheism"./

From The Basics of Philosophy

Theism
Theism is the belief in the existence of one or more divinities or deities (gods), which are both immanent (i.e. they exist within the universe) and yet transcendent (i.e. they surpass, or are independent of, physical existence). These gods also in some way interact with the universe (unlike in Deism), and are often considered to be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.

The word "theism" was first coined in English in the 17th Century to contrast with the earlier term Atheism. "Deism" and "theism" changed meanings slightly around 1700, due to the increasing influence of Atheism: "deism" was originally used as a synonym for today's "theism", but came to denote a separate philosophical doctrine.

source

Atheism
Atheism (or non-theism) is the belief that gods do not exist, or a complete rejection of Theism or any belief in a personal god or gods (the latter also known as antitheism). It can cover a range of both religious and nonreligious attitudes. Many atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as Humanism and Naturalism.

The term "atheism" (from the Greek "godless") originated as an insult applied to any person or belief in conflict with established religion, the first English usage dating back to the 16th Century. In common use, it merely indicates a disbelief in God, rather than an active denial of the existence of any gods. With the spread of freethought, scientific skepticism and criticism of religion, the term began to gather a more specific meaning and was first used to describe a self-avowed belief in late 18th Century Europe, and is now increasingly used as a self-description by atheists.

source

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheist do not believe in god/s.
Theist do believe in God/s.
Pretty cut and dry really.

The philosophical and/or theological differences are just the various nuances within the labels themselves. But as far as labels go, especially in a language like English which loves it some nuanced synonyms, they're both pretty clear.

Now Non Theistic religions and Deism might make for some interesting bendy discussion of their respective labels and how those within those groups see themselves.

FutureFaith

The definitions of theism and atheism are clear. However, what asked what religion are you, I don't consider atheism to be a valid answer. (1) Typically atheists lack any religion and (2) Atheism itself isn't a religion. Most theists who answer with their religion don't answer with the word "theism" they answer with their type of theism. Theism and atheism aren't religions, they are theological standpoints. There is also natural theology that can refer people to non-revealed theism such as deism or pantheism.

A Vestigial Mote

Everyone else who has posted has pretty much got you covered. The contemporary, common meaning of "atheism" is clear, and has very little to do with a person's beliefs outside of where they stand with respect to the existence of deity. As others have also stated... this is pretty basic stuff. It's a shame you don't seem to get it, really.

If you want to know my beliefs, then ask me what I believe. Otherwise there isn't much you can know when I introduce myself as "atheist."

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Everyone else who has posted has pretty much got you covered. The contemporary, common meaning of "atheism" is clear, and has very little to do with a person's beliefs outside of where they stand with respect to the existence of deity. As others have also stated... this is pretty basic stuff. It's a shame you don't seem to get it, really.

If you want to know my beliefs, then ask me what I believe. Otherwise there isn't much you can know when I introduce myself as "atheist."

It's more important that you know the meaning of your label.

As far as 'outside the existence of deity'no idea who said that, tell them.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

Have a nice day.
What you're missing is that theism necessarily entails something: a belief in something the individual would define as a "God". You're right that it is not descriptive and it's very broad, but ultimately if someone considers themselves a theist they MUST believe in the existence of something that they label "God", and therefore must have some definition of a God that they believe in. An atheist is someone who lacks belief in anything that they would label a God. This usually requires some form of definition of God, but it also potentially entails not even having a definition of God (since you only need to not believe there is one, which includes being unaware of the concept in general).

So, in other words, theists need to be able to define what they believe in, but to be an atheist doesn't necessarily require a definition of God or theism.

Have a nice day.
Your need to have the word mean anything other than people that don't hold your one peculiar superstition about magical eternal sky people is a you thing. All your attempts to trap the square pidgeon in the round hole will continue to fail until you learn how to process this fact.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Your need to have the word mean anything other than people that don't hold your one peculiar superstition about magical eternal sky people is a you thing. All your attempts to trap the square pidgeon in the round hole will continue to fail until you learn how to process this fact.
Aside from that not meaning anything, I don't need the word to mean anything.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Have a nice day.

Atheism is the opposite of theism. Whatever the definition of theism is a-theism is the opposite.