• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theism. Is it by default anti-evolution?

Are theists by default against evolution?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 95.0%
  • Something else that I will explain

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

firedragon

Veteran Member
Many people equate "theist" with Abrahamic religions.

I do believe that Abrahamic religions must needs reject the theory of the evolution of Man on a doctrinal basis.

But a theist is anyone who believes in a deity or divinity. That comes from etymology if I may.

And its not necessary that Abrahamic religions reject the theory of evolution and in fact, there are and has been many who never did. In fact, many propagated it.

Zaha Torte

But a theist is anyone who believes in a deity or divinity. That comes from etymology if I may.

And its not necessary that Abrahamic religions reject the theory of evolution and in fact, there are and has been many who never did. In fact, many propagated it.
They propagated the evolution of species or the evolution of Man?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I can better answer these if you explain what you meant by "theory of evolution".

I think I did not say "theory of evolution". I just said "evolution".

But if you want to know specifics of "what I meant by evolution" I think I was referring to a naturalistic solution like to which I believe the best explanation would be Darwinian Evolution be it Darwinian or Neo Darwinism.

Zaha Torte

I think I did not say "theory of evolution". I just said "evolution".

But if you want to know specifics of "what I meant by evolution" I think I was referring to a naturalistic solution like to which I believe the best explanation would be Darwinian Evolution be it Darwinian or Neo Darwinism.
You did say "theory of evolution" in Post #141 which led me to ask about "evolution of species or the evolution of Man".

Abrahamic religions need to reject the idea of Man evolving from Ape or any other species because it disagrees with their ancient records.

Not so with other species.

Zaha Torte

Not really. Some theists even taught that man evolved from apes.
Again a "theist" is not necessarily a member of an Abrahamic religion.

If a Jew/Christian/Muslim believes that Man evolved from Apes then they would need to throw away any Biblical references to the Creation of Man.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

If a Jew/Christian/Muslim believes that Man evolved from Apes then they would need to throw away any Biblical references to the Creation of Man.
The Adam and Eve myth can be looked at as a morality tale. One does not need to go to the extreme of throwing it away. It should be treated the same way that one treats Aesop's fables. Stories with a lesson but clearly not meant to be taken literally.

Zaha Torte

The Adam and Eve myth can be looked at as a morality tale. One does not need to go to the extreme of throwing it away. It should be treated the same way that one treats Aesop's fables. Stories with a lesson but clearly not meant to be taken literally.
It could be viewed that way but that would be at the individual's discretion and not a religion-wide mandate, right?

Or am I wrong?

firedragon

Veteran Member

Yep. I was talking about a Muslim.

Anyway, the topic of the thread is "Bible vs evolution".