• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Zero COVID Campaign

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently became aware of an international movement called the Zero COVID Campaign. The movement aims not just to reduce the spread of COVID to lower levels, but to literally eliminate COVID entirely.

Home - Zero Covid

Inside the Zero Covid campaign - UnHerd

For the past year, I have been deeply disturbed by COVID denialists who have repeatedly, on RF and off, spread conspiracy theories and misinformation about COVID, ranging from denying that it exists, denying or minimizing its deadliness, claiming masks are ineffective at stopping its spread, claiming the virus was intentionally created and spread as a tool for social control, and so on. As a person who works on the "front lines" in a healthcare setting, I want society to take COVID precautions seriously, get as many people vaccinated as possible, and prohibit unnecessary social gatherings until the virus is brought down to safer levels.

But I must say, I'm also concerned about this movement on the opposite end of the spectrum, that seems to want an even stricter lockdown of society until there is literally ZERO COVID left - a goal that I don't even know is achievable, particularly given the mutated strains of the virus we're already seeing. It is further concerning that this seems to be the philosophy adopted by authoritarian regimes like China.

Am I overreacting? Have you already heard of COVID Zero? Are you in favor? Why or why not?

PureX

Veteran Member
Am I overreacting? Have you already heard of COVID Zero? Are you in favor? Why or why not?
I think Mother Nature will dictate that their quest is unobtainable. While the reality of commerce as a way of life will eliminate any traction for the attempt.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't heard of it. I'm against (currently) though could change my mind. Why am I against it? I'm against it, because we don't have accurate statistics about this low mortality disease. We don't know which deaths are actual Covid 19 deaths. We don't know how many patients have died from experimental Covid 19 drugs. We don't know how many were going to die, anyway of old age. We don't know.

WonderingWorrier

Countries in Asia pacific region went for an elimination strategy rather than a flatten the curve (so not to overwhelm health system) strategy. It works.

It takes planning, determination, and team work.
Look at New Zealand and Australia for example.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I recently became aware of an international movement called the Zero COVID Campaign. The movement aims not just to reduce the spread of COVID to lower levels, but to literally eliminate COVID entirely.

Home - Zero Covid

For the past year, I have been deeply disturbed by COVID denialists who have repeatedly, on RF and off, spread conspiracy theories and misinformation about COVID, ranging from denying that it exists, denying or minimizing its deadliness, claiming masks are ineffective at stopping its spread, claiming the virus was intentionally created and spread as a tool for social control, and so on. As a person who works on the "front lines" in a healthcare setting, I want society to take COVID precautions seriously, get as many people vaccinated as possible, and prohibit unnecessary social gatherings until the virus is brought down to safer levels.

But I must say, I'm also concerned about this movement on the opposite end of the spectrum, that seems to want an even stricter lockdown of society until there is literally ZERO COVID left - a goal that I don't even know is achievable, particularly given the mutated strains of the virus we're already seeing. It is further concerning that this seems to be the philosophy adopted by authoritarian regimes like China.

You're not overreacting. In my opinion, it helps to see both sides in something extreme as this. I haven't heard of zerocovid,but I find it unrealistic. In my head, I'm thinking suppressing the economy to find a cure is weakening us. Most illnesses we can't cure we at least learn new ways to treat. COVID would probably be one of those incurable illnesses that we need to find ways to treat without shutting everything down.

I'm not a doctor, but I wonder if everyone stayed indoors, can viruses just disappear?

I'm sure other countries the virus took it's course and/or the deaths weren't as high when considering the whole population. But I do find putting things into perspective helps a lot with stressed feelings. We can only use others as a punching bag for so long before we need to face our own fears,concerns, so have you.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
No.

We have eradicated smallpox, we might be able to do it with Covid. Currently I see little chance for it but as a long term goal, why not?

As a long term goal, sure. But unfortunately Zero Covid wants a super-tight lockdown on societies till that's achieved. I think that's problematic. It could be years, if ever, before we completely eradicate it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I

Covid is a virus. If we could eliminate it... we wouldn't be dealing with influenza either. In my view, like influenza, it is here to stay.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Home - Zero Covid

Radicals... I guess the radicals will find their way into any and every crevice.

WonderingWorrier

It could be years, if ever, before we completely eradicate it.

The incubation period of Covid is not years.
It is only weeks.

Covid is not spreading. People are spreading Covid.

"On one side are the government and the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet), pursuing a policy of suppressing the virus through intermittent lockdowns. On the opposing side is a “zero Covid” movement, initially led by scientists but now backed by several opposition parties, which wants much stricter controls to emulate the example of New Zealand and rid Ireland of the coronavirus".
Why can’t Ireland be more like New Zealand on Covid? | Ireland | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

WonderingWorrier

That's true, but I'm not sure what it has to do with what I said?

This strikes me as a distinction without a difference.

The movement of people is what is spreading the virus.
Covid only has a limited life time.

So without the movement Covid could disappear very quickly.

Not years. Just a few weeks.

This has been proven in New Zealand.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What exactly did New Zealand do and is it even possible to get high population countries to follow what New Zealand did?

I think demographics do play a significant role.

WonderingWorrier

What exactly did New Zealand do and is it even possible to get high population countries to follow what New Zealand did?

I think demographics do play a significant role.

I think it would work.
The scale would be different. The method the same.
Even countries could do it together at the same time.

New Zealand was notified and given time to prepare for the coming 4 week lockdown.

Everyone made up "bubbles" their circles of people and would not go into any other bubbles. That limits spread to groups. So the virus can only spread within a bubble and not go into another bubble of people.

The bubbles made contact tracing easy if someone went to a testing site and got a positive result.

Here is some more info on what New Zealand did:

New Zealand government response to the COVID-19 pandemic - Wikipedia

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

New Zealand is a rather special case, given it's geography as, you know, an island.

Yes, if no human ever moved, I imagine viruses would have difficulty spreading. However, we do move...

WonderingWorrier

New Zealand is a rather special case, given it's geography as, you know, an island.

Yes, if no human ever moved, I imagine viruses would have difficulty spreading. However, we do move...

Bubbles can include your family, and the people at your work, etc.
Bubbles can also grow to include countries as New Zealand made "travel bubbles" with Australia and some pacific islands.

New Zealand is an island that is attacking the virus worldwide with bubbles.