• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Worst Things to Say to Someone Who Is Depressed

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all!

I hope you are enjoying your time with us here on the forum today.

This page could be of benefit if you know anyone experiencing depression.

When someone you care about is depressed, offering advice or wisdom may be something you do with only good intentions in mind. However, the words you use may not convey the message you want to send—especially if you don't understand the nature of depression and mental illness.

It's important to remember that depression is a medical condition that requires treatment, be it with medication, therapy, or both. When you're talking to a loved one about their depression, repeating platitudes can make someone feel that you're minimizing their feelings.

When you're expressing your own feelings, the phrases you use may seem clear and to the point from your perspective, but the person with depression who is on the receiving end may feel attacked, misunderstood, or deeply hurt.

Read the entire article here -

Worst Things to Say to Someone Who Is Depressed

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

All the best.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Thanks for posting this! I fortunately do not suffer from depression, but have many friends that do. Being able to support people with depression is a critical skill friends need to have, so this is great.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
This page could be of benefit if you know anyone experiencing depression.
Good advice in the article. Best applied to undepressed too, lest they get depressed:D

Don't:
  • Minimize their feelings

• Dismiss their symptoms

• Deny their feelings

• Compare their feelings to others

• Express apathy

• Call them selfish
@stvdvRF

pearl

Accusing them of being lazy or to 'get over yourself', etc. I thin at times its hard to understand the difference between a lack of motivation and actual depression.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Accusing them of being lazy or to 'get over yourself', etc. I thin at times its hard to understand the difference between a lack of motivation and actual depression.
To understand (w/o having gone through it yourself) the difference is indeed hard, but once you know (by personal experience) it's very easy.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's important to remember that depression is a medical condition that requires treatment, be it with medication, therapy, or both. When you're talking to a loved one about their depression, repeating platitudes can make someone feel that you're minimizing their feelings.
It's also important to keep in mind that feeling depressed (emotional mood) is not the same as having clinical depression.