• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Worst Feeling in the World..

Circle_One

To me, honestly, the absolute worst feeling in the world is knowing you're nearing the end of a really great novel and being utterly powerless to stop it.

I always find myself counting down the pages with pain in my heart, knowing that soon, this amazing story is going to come to an end. It absolutely kills me. Sometimes I just wish great books could go on forever, so I never have to reach the inevitable end.

Anyone else feel that way?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I don't think I've ever felt that way about a book. I usually feel great about finishing a book, and it takes roughly an hour for the incompleteness to sink in.

Circle_One

My love bought me a book the other day and I started it on Tuesday, but last night, I was honestly counting down the last hundred pages, with literal panic, just wishing the book wouldn't end because it was just that good.

elmarna

Feeling helpless let's us fall victum to a way of seeing a0 world and failing to support a service to either change our views or change the circumstance.
Sadness overshadows and depression can take a hold.
I realize that there are times when we are having to face the judgements of others and have no power to persuade, change, or ignore the course of action that takes place because of them.
We can only do our best to search and capture a" better way".
To be satisfied that while we can not change everything -we do effect the world and can make a difference; no matter how slight it may be.
Life is what you make of it.
It can be a world of fear and sadness. It can be a world of all unwise things.
On the other side of the coin - it is a world of wonders and endless posibilities if you are willing to cast your well fashioned nets into the sea of live and take in what you have with a satisfied feeling!

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
To me, honestly, the absolute worst feeling in the world is knowing you're nearing the end of a really great novel and being utterly powerless to stop it.

I always find myself counting down the pages with pain in my heart, knowing that soon, this amazing story is going to come to an end. It absolutely kills me. Sometimes I just wish great books could go on forever, so I never have to reach the inevitable end.

I wont finish the last couple of chapters of Steppenwolf cause its so good. I do know the feeling you mean..and I hate it to.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Mine is just the opposite...

When I begin a novel and realize there are many...many sequels left to read.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Wow I wish that was the worst feeling I ever had.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I feel that way sometimes. There are times when I finish the book, close it and start reading it all over again (not very often). But I read at 3 or 4 books per week.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I like re-reading books, and I tend to read novels that are members of a series, so I usually have more of what I like waiting for me.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Oh god yes, Blayze. :yes:

And even worse is when you realize you're getting to the end of the last book on your list by one of your favorite, deceased authors.

Last book I read was Dirk Gentleys Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. I actually found myself re-reading paragraphs as I got closer to the end realizing that once I was finished, there would be no new Douglas Adams for me. :(

Actually intentionally didn't read the last 2 chapters of Emma by Jane Austen for the same reason. that way, there would always be more. :p

Couldn't do that with Adams because he's just too good (and this is coming from someone who's read almost everything by Tolstoy, Dickens, Steinbeck, Hugo, Shakespeare, and at least a respectable selection from just about anyone else whos name would be likely to show up on the required reading list of any university Literature major).

Irks me a bit that some of the most mediocre popular authors: (IMO) Stephen King, Anne Rice, and (dodges tomatoes) James A. Michener, to name a few wrote so much and the masters so little (although it probably just seems that way).

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like re-reading books

Me too, i do it a lot.

The only bad feeling about it is that i realize i'm never going to enjoy it like the first time. Though the extra times usually provide something the first time didn't. Some new information i missed or being able to look at things from a different perspective knowing the ending.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
At some point, all that's left to do is write. :D

"It was the best of threads, it was the worst of threads...."

*crumples up computer screen and tosses it in the waste basket*

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've felt that with some books. Not the worst feeling in the world, but the end of a good book does suck. I have found that a few of Stephen King's novels are very well adjusted for prolonging this feeling, if you can read the same book for several hundred, even over a thousand pages.