• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The World's Fastest Growing Religion is No Religion

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Yet even so, it appears more people than ever are wrestling with the idea of God, due to the inter-connectedness of the modern world ( Could just be myopia on my part due to the small number of websites I visit )

I think it's interesting that the Bible states that there will be a " great falling away " ( apostasy ) and at the same time it states that God would pour out his spirit on all mankind ( Regardless of race, religion, creed, location )

The Bible says a lot of vague and ambiguous things.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Of course its flawed. It assumes that all religious sects are failing at a similar rate because its only giving a national average. You may have one group that's experiencing startling growth but the average is tempered by another two or three groups that are dropping like stones. That's what seems to be happening here. Orthodox Judaism is experiencing unprecedented growth. Our birthrate surpasses the numbers that are leaving by far, with the American population quintupling in the past three generations. We're bucking the trend, but because we're such a minuscule sample size, we don't affect the national averages yet.

From there I am saying, that with the non-religious population literally dying out and Orthodox Judaism's population explosion, I don't think no-religion should rightly be called the fastest growing religion. More people may be becoming atheist, but there will always be less atheists thanks to lower birth rates in the non-religious population.

American Jewish population rapidly becoming more Orthodox

"It assumes that all religious sects are failing at a similar rate because its only giving a national average."

Also, btw that is not how an average works.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Why, what is going to happen when religion disappears or is less than atheism? Is any thing going to change, we are still all human?
I really meant the arrogance of religion thinking they and them only have the truth, i see true religion within each one of us, not in an organization, I hope this will replace much of religion.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Come to Random Church, Europe! See the remarkable hangnail of some apostle! Come pet the maimed skeleton of some other random biblical person! Pay the low, low entry fee of 9,000 whatever your currency is! Pay us money so you will go to heaven! Pay us money so your enemies will go to hell! Pay us money because ... reasons!
Sorry, but this is just junk. I have never been required to pay a cent to enter a church. Churches will often have a donation collection during services though, because maintaining a building isn't free.

You, there, on the American TV! Put your hand up to the TV screen and know that Jesus will heal you if you give us a thousand dollars! He will board your pets! He will brush your hair! He will stop whatever He's doing, because nothing in the entire universe is more important than YOUR problems!
Seriously? You're blaming the mainline churches for televangelists? If anything they're a product of industrialised consumerism, not traditional Christianity.

Hear ye! Hear ye! Dost thou not knowest that sex is bad, m'kay? We must'eth stop'eth it wherever it is mentioned-eth! Prohibition ALWAYS works-eth! Dost thou not concerneth yourself with Adam and Eve, the first example in our Holy Scriptures of prohibitions clearly having the wrong effect!
Sex isn't a morally neutral toy with no consequences. Reckless sex has complicated if not ruined many lives. And I'm not even getting into the massive societal damage that has occurred by severing sex from its traditional societal context.

Regardless, whilst I'm sure you feel like you've made a real point, I remain unmoved.

LOL, yeah, the churches had nothing to do with it whatsoever
Didn't say that. Could you trouble yourself to re-read my post.

I have many complaints when it comes to the direction of my church. The liturgical watering down, sappy music, the embrace of ugly, ugly modern architecture and art styles, complicit clergy... And all of it is itself a symptom that the Church has embraced the very cultural forces that seek to undo it.

The fact is that western culture has developed in ways that are hostile to religiosity. I'm saying far from being the cause, the churches to a large extent as much a victim (often wilful) to these forces as everything else is. It's for that which they hold much responsibility. Some more than others.

And we've seen this before historically, the moral and philosophical decadence we see now is a symptom of a declining culture. It's scary how similar the current state of affairs is to that of the declining Western Empire two millennia ago.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

There are thousands of different types of food - because of the large variety, does it make it impossible to choose what your favorite is? There are billions of people - does that make it impossible to choose someone to marry, or choose someone to be friends with? There are thousands of books - do you give up reading anything because there are too many choices?

It does not matter how many choices there are, it does not matter what everyone else is doing... all that matters is your own personal character, who you are, how you decide to follow your own conscience... if you enjoy being an isolationist? a hermit? then don't participate in any community groups... if you enjoy company / friendship / religious conversations - then find a group close to your home that uplifts. You don't have to 100% agree with them - should not 100% agree with anyone. There is no borrowed light, everyone needs to think for themselves, but there is nothing wrong with a community either.

Religious experiences of finding a group of people that feels like home are as common as finding a friend or finding a new food you like. They happen all the time. We are social creatures, we enjoy being part of a group, we enjoy the feeling of "belonging" somewhere. There is nothing wrong with joining a good supportive group of people if you find one that feels like it fits you.
I never said there was anything wrong with picking "a favorite"... what I questioned was how you discern "the truth" when THAT is what you are looking for.

Let's face it... if someone went out looking for a religion and made their decision based on which one was "their favorite" - would you put much stock in their being a valid/fervent adherent to said religion? Honestly?

idea

Question Everything
I never said there was anything wrong with picking "a favorite"... what I questioned was how you discern "the truth" when THAT is what you are looking for.

Let's face it... if someone went out looking for a religion and made their decision based on which one was "their favorite" - would you put much stock in their being a valid/fervent adherent to said religion? Honestly?

there is no such thing as "The" truth. Close minded people who think they are right while everyone else is wrong are the ones who start wars and make this world miserable. ... If Christianity is at all appealing to you, realize that one of the biggest lessons is that the Pharisees - the church goers who were trying to be better than everyone else, who were on the "I'm right" kick - those are the ones who killed Jesus. Who did Jesus choose as deciples? NOT the church goers, not the Sadducee / Pharisees, NOT the organized religions of the day - those were the most evil people there are! Jesus chose humble fishermen - he chose the people who did not claim to know "the" truth.

People who think they know "the" truth are prideful ***holes. Pride is the opposite of what religion/spirituality should be.

Humility - kindness - understanding - that is what religion is supposed to be....

Stay as far away as you can from anyone who claims they alone "know" the truth. These people are prideful idiots who know nothing.

Choose a religion based on who is the kindest, "by their fruits ye shall know them"... not "by their boasting and their claim to knowledge" shall ye know them... by their actions, their character, .... those who are humble, meek, gentle, full of charity.... not those lifted up to boasting / claiming to know it all etc.

Do you think God is going to condemn everyone to hell except for one prideful know-it-all group??? What kind of a God are you trying to find here?

God is loving - many different groups will do, He sends his message to many different groups through many different channels - you just need to pick something close to your home that uplifts and does good... something that bears "fruit", and there are a lot of different fruit trees - take your pick. Apples? Oranges? Pears? They are all healthy and good.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

there is no such thing as "The" truth. Close minded people who think they are right while everyone else is wrong are the ones who start wars and make this world miserable... People who think they know "the" truth are prideful ***holes. Pride is the opposite of what religion/spirituality should be.

First off, there is "truth", to be sure - things are as they are - whatever that state is. We're just not able to know these abstract/ultimate truths. I acknowledge this much and realize, obviously, that I don't know these truths, and that no other man does either.

Do you think God is going to condemn everyone to hell except for one prideful know-it-all group??? What kind of a God are you trying to find here?
Secondly, I think there has been a little miscommunication - perhaps you thought I believed in God? I am not trying to find any sort of God - that is for certain.

The very best part of your post for me was that, for all your condemnation of "truth" and those who put forward that they know it, your signature contains this little gem:

the TRUTH will set you free
John 8:32

John must have been very "closed-minded" indeed. And what a "prideful ***hole", am I right?

idea

Question Everything
First off, there is "truth", to be sure - things are as they are - whatever that state is. We're just not able to know these abstract/ultimate truths. I acknowledge this much and realize, obviously, that I don't know these truths, and that no other man does either.

I agree - no man knows "the" truth. So, without the ability to find truth, what then dictates our actions? What religious group or community should we join? What books should we read? who should we become friends with?

Acknowledging uncertainty is the beginning of kindness - humility/charity/non-judgmental etc.

Refusing to acknowledge uncertainty - pretending that it is possible to know "The" truth - this is the beginning of segregation, pride, contention, judging - evil.

Secondly, I think there has been a little miscommunication - perhaps you thought I believed in God? I am not trying to find any sort of God - that is for certain.

The very best part of your post for me was that, for all your condemnation of "truth" and those who put forward that they know it, your signature contains this little gem:

John must have been very "closed-minded" indeed. And what a "prideful ***hole", am I right?

Haha - you got me. I think Jesus understands the true reality of things, John 8:32 is Jesus speaking (not some imperfect human - imperfect humans are scum, but that is not who was talking)

In any event - there is a difference between seeking truth, vs. claiming to know or have the truth. We're all seeking truth, but it would be naive for any mortal human to claim they have found 100% the truth.

Perhaps in some future life we will know the truth? The only way to know it is to become a God - to be omniscient - like the twist in the movie, any new piece of information can drastically change everything - so until you know everything, you cannot know anything.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I really meant the arrogance of religion thinking they and them only have the truth, i see true religion within each one of us, not in an organization, I hope this will replace much of religion.

So what, you're saying that whatever crazy crap that each individual invents in their own head is somehow worthwhile because it makes them feel good to believe it?

Segev Moran

Religion appears to be going bust in a real hurry, and I'm not speaking just about Christianity.

"An ongoing spate of recent studies - looking at various countries around the world - all show the same thing: religion is in decline. From Scandinavia to South America, and from Vancouver to Seoul, the world is experiencing an unprecedented wave of secularization. Indeed, as a recent National Geographic report confirms, the world’s newest religion is: No Religion.

Consider the latest facts:

* For the first time in Norwegian history, there are more atheists and agnostics than believers in God.

* For the first time in British history, there are now more atheists and agnostics than believers in God. And church attendance rates in the UK are at an all-time low, with less than 2% of British men and women attending church on any given Sunday.

* A recent survey found that 0% of Icelanders believe that God created the Earth. That’s correct: 0%. And whereas 20 years ago, 90% of Icelanders claimed to be religious, today less than 50% claim to be.

* Nearly 70% of the Dutch are not affiliated with any religion, and approximately 700 Protestant churches and over 1,000 Catholic churches are expected to close within the next few years throughout the Netherlands, due to low attendance.

* According to a recent Eurobarometer Poll, 19% of Spaniards, 24% of Danes, 26% of Slovenians, 27% of Germans and Belgians, 34% of Swedes, and 40% of the French, claim to not believe in “any sort of spirit, God, or life-force.”

* In the United States, somewhere between 23% and 28% of American adults have no religious affiliation, and these so-called “nones” are not only growing in number, but they are becoming increasingly secular in their behaviors and beliefs.

* Among Millennials - Americans in their 20s - over 35% are non-religious, constituting the largest cohort of secular men and women in the nation’s history.

* In Canada, back in 1991, 12% of adults stated “none,” when asked their religion - today that is up to 24%.

* In Australia, 15% of the population said they had no religion in 2001, and it is up to at least 22% today.

* In New Zealand, 30% of the population claimed no religion in 2001, but it had risen to 42% in 2013.

* In South America, 7% of men and women in Mexico, 8% in Brazil, 11% in Argentina, 12% in El Salvador, 16% in Chile, 18% in the Dominican Republic, and 37% in Uruguay are non-religious — the highest such rates of Latin American secularity ever recorded.

* In Japan, about 70% of adults claimed to hold personal religious beliefs sixty years ago, but today, that figure is down to only about 20%; In 1970 there were 96,000 Buddhist temples throughout Japan, but in 2007, there were 75,866 - and around 20,000 of those were un-staffed, with no resident priest. In the 1950s, over 75% of Japanese households had a kamidana (Shinto altar), but by 2006 this was down to 44% nationwide, and only 26% in major cities.
source
So where did religion drop the ball?

By claiming it knows things no one knows :)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
So what, you're saying that whatever crazy crap that each individual invents in their own head is somehow worthwhile because it makes them feel good to believe it?
Well isn't that just what organized religion does, makes you feel good and secure.:rolleyes:

Fire_Monkey

Religion appears to be going bust in a real hurry, and I'm not speaking just about Christianity.

"An ongoing spate of recent studies - looking at various countries around the world - all show the same thing: religion is in decline. From Scandinavia to South America, and from Vancouver to Seoul, the world is experiencing an unprecedented wave of secularization. Indeed, as a recent National Geographic report confirms, the world’s newest religion is: No Religion.

* For the first time in Norwegian history, there are more atheists and agnostics than believers in God.

* For the first time in British history, there are now more atheists and agnostics than believers in God. And church attendance rates in the UK are at an all-time low, with less than 2% of British men and women attending church on any given Sunday.

* A recent survey found that 0% of Icelanders believe that God created the Earth. That’s correct: 0%. And whereas 20 years ago, 90% of Icelanders claimed to be religious, today less than 50% claim to be.

* Nearly 70% of the Dutch are not affiliated with any religion, and approximately 700 Protestant churches and over 1,000 Catholic churches are expected to close within the next few years throughout the Netherlands, due to low attendance.

* According to a recent Eurobarometer Poll, 19% of Spaniards, 24% of Danes, 26% of Slovenians, 27% of Germans and Belgians, 34% of Swedes, and 40% of the French, claim to not believe in “any sort of spirit, God, or life-force.”

* In the United States, somewhere between 23% and 28% of American adults have no religious affiliation, and these so-called “nones” are not only growing in number, but they are becoming increasingly secular in their behaviors and beliefs.

* Among Millennials - Americans in their 20s - over 35% are non-religious, constituting the largest cohort of secular men and women in the nation’s history.

* In Canada, back in 1991, 12% of adults stated “none,” when asked their religion - today that is up to 24%.

* In Australia, 15% of the population said they had no religion in 2001, and it is up to at least 22% today.

* In New Zealand, 30% of the population claimed no religion in 2001, but it had risen to 42% in 2013.

* In South America, 7% of men and women in Mexico, 8% in Brazil, 11% in Argentina, 12% in El Salvador, 16% in Chile, 18% in the Dominican Republic, and 37% in Uruguay are non-religious — the highest such rates of Latin American secularity ever recorded.

* In Japan, about 70% of adults claimed to hold personal religious beliefs sixty years ago, but today, that figure is down to only about 20%; In 1970 there were 96,000 Buddhist temples throughout Japan, but in 2007, there were 75,866 - and around 20,000 of those were un-staffed, with no resident priest. In the 1950s, over 75% of Japanese households had a kamidana (Shinto altar), but by 2006 this was down to 44% nationwide, and only 26% in major cities.
source

IMHO, religion dropped the ball by continually and stubbornly refusing to change with the times. Christianity and Islam have been the two most egregious offenders on this count. In many ways those two have gone backwards! That is, regressed! Devolved. Christianity has almost totally abandoned Jesus original message. And the vast majority of Christians do not live lives he would condone.

Islam has been great with radical and terrorist jihad. But I am afraid that superstition is still alive and kicking in the USA. You conveniently omitted some crucial facts in your OP. While affiliation may be down, and also church attendance, an amazing 80% of my countrymen still believe in a caring personal God who listens to prayers! And just about as many believe in a heaven! This, in the modern age where science had continually disproved many biblical cables, continues to astound me.

But yes! One day Christianity and the belief in hebrew sky gods will be swept into the Corner of Superstition, where it of course belongs. But the time is not here just yet.

jonathan180iq

Their faith was based on literalist interpretations...

When you realize that you were taught objectively false things, it's easy to simply walk away. Religion has failed in that they have taught incorrect historical narratives now for thousands of years. They've based their worldviews on imaginary constructs instead of adaptive spiritual concepts. Anytime that happens, there's bound to be severe fallout - as your data suggests is currently happening.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Of course it does, it's intended for people who value feeling good over actual truth. The religious don't give a damn whether what they believe is factually correct, it just gives them a warm fuzzy feeling, therefore they cling to it.

That's why I find the religious altogether idiotic.
Well said.:)

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Are you actually here for anything constructive or just to throw insults around? Just wondering.

It's not an insult, it's just reality. Besides, nobody can insult you against your will. If you're insulted by anything I, or anyone else has to say, it's on you, not on me.

source

That's an easy one. I mean, there are many factors,but the obvious one seems to be placeholder knowledge is being replaced by real science at breakneck speed. People ultimately prefer to know than to pretend to know.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's not an insult, it's just reality. Besides, nobody can insult you against your will. If you're insulted by anything I, or anyone else has to say, it's on you, not on me.
Oh, so you're one of those people who is in denial of their behavior and doesn't want to take responsibility for it. I see.