• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The World is Getting Better. Really.

Wandering Monk

IN THE AGGREGATE!! I think it would be a challenge for someone to find a statistic showing that the opposite is true.

child-mortality.png
!! Will you acknowledge this?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Over a million species are facing extinction due to the Holocene extinction event and you are telling me it's getting better.

Wandering Monk

Over a million species are facing extinction due to the Holocene extinction event and you are telling me it's getting better.

It seems most of this is due to habitat destruction in developing nations. It's a problem that the world seems to finally be addressing. If it wasn't for the biological sciences we wouldn't even know that this was happening.

Overall, science and technology has made life better for humans, but it also can be used to improve the environment and restore species like the bald eagle and timber wolf. Heck they are even talking about bringing back the mastodon.

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
It seems most of this is due to habitat destruction in developing nations. It's a problem that the world seems to finally be addressing. If it wasn't for the biological sciences we wouldn't even know that this was happening.

If it wasn't for science providing the knowledge and technology to bring the planet to the brink of extinction, then what is the point of knowing after the event? Oops. :oops: Shouldn't they have known better in the first place....?

Why wasn't habitat destruction prevented? Extinction was inevitable for the ones who called it home. Where were they supposed to go?
Why wasn't pollution addressed decades ago when something could have been done to prevent us drowning in plastic waste? Chemical poisons have infiltrated our food, our water and the air we breathe. All hail science.....:rolleyes: For every action there is a reaction....this is fundamental science, so why did they not foresee what their decisions would lead to? How clever are they really? Who invented nuclear weapons? Who still has stockpiles of them?

Overall, science and technology has made life better for humans, but it also can be used to improve the environment and restore species like the bald eagle and timber wolf. Heck they are even talking about bringing back the mastodon.

Is it already too late to reverse climate change? Too late to alter the state of the world where drug and alcohol addiction has created a mental health crises in all developed nations...? Children are now parented by drug addicts and influenced by a morally bankrupt entertainment system....how is that progress?

Is it too late when ambulance paramedics and ER personal are now considered at high risk of violence due to this ever increasing problem of alcohol and drug induced mental illness and violence?

Is it too late when the police now wear combat gear?

How is the world better when all we have done is swap one lot of problems for worse ones? :shrug: SMH

Wandering Monk

An example: deforestation is happening largely due to agricultural demands. Improvements in crop yields and a slowing of human population growth rates (likely due to better education, reduced infant mortality, and greater wealth) should reduce the need for clear cutting.

siti

Overall, science and technology has made life better for humans
Do you mean longer - or what? - healthier? For example - look at the bottom portion of this graph...

...OK - I'm having an over-fifties IT moment here - I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the graph to display...anyway, it shows that the overall burden of disease (life years lost to disability or death) hasn't changed that much over the last 3 decades, but the share of that burden has shifted significantly from communicable to non-communicable diseases.

Is there a relationship between that and the graph of increasing calorie intake you posted?

Things ain't always what they seem.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hopefully this all means that things actually are getting better, rather than that reporting is getting worse. :p

The Reverend Bob

Hopefully this all means that things actually are getting better, rather than that reporting is getting worse. :p
Funny thing is for every report saying things are getting better I can produce two more telling us things are getting worse and then person who believes things are getting better will produce 3 more that disprove my reports then it goes on and on

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Funny thing is for every report saying things are getting better I can produce two more telling us things are getting worse and then person who believes things are getting better will produce 3 more that disprove my reports then it goes on and on
Produce them then. Let's see the figures and have that debate.

The Reverend Bob

Produce them then. Let's see the figures and have that debate.
The number of homeless and refugees is increasing worldwide, sex trafficking is increasing, mental health issues are increasing. I will give you time to look this up yourself and see what you find