• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wisconsin power grab is part of a bigger Republican attack on democracy

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Just as life itself evolved (progress) there is always the genetic code that rejects progress from being too much too fast (conservativism). If it weren't for checks and balances, we would have evolved too quickly, and that would be bad for the long run.

Politics are an extension of our living human nature.

...Too much progress = death. Likewise, eternal conservativism = death.
Evolution is not progressive and while genes don't change in your life time, your epigenetics do and our developmental process is highly influenced by our environment. However, this does not really have much to do with politics.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Evolution is not progressive and while genes don't change in your life time, your epigenetics do and our developmental process is highly influenced by our environment. However, this does not really have much to do with politics.

I disagree, as left/right politics is an invention by an evolved life form. Look at the big picture and see how we become immune to drugs. This is conservativism rejecting change. Yet, after many, many generations, our conservative genes do allow mutation... slowly...

...This is also how our politics work. Slow change, with constant efforts to prevent progress.

It's what works. Let's embrace it and coexist in that knowledge knowing that we're both two important pieces in a working system.

Last edited by a moderator:

youknowme

I disagree, as left/right politics is an invention by an evolved life form. Look at the big picture and see how we become immune to drugs. This is conservativism rejecting change. Yet, after many, many generations, our conservative genes do allow mutation... slowly...

...This is also how our politics work. Slow change, with constant efforts to prevent progress.

It's what works. Let's embrace it and coexist in that knowledge knowing that we're both two important pieces in a working system.
Sorry, but I am not interested in such discussions. However, if you are interested in such topics, then I recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Biology-as-Ideology-Doctrine-DNA/dp/0060975199

On Wednesday morning, the Republican-controlled state legislature passed a bill that would seize key powers from incoming Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, who defeated incumbent Gov. Scott Walker in November. ..

The bill blocks Evers’s ability to change state welfare policy and withdraw from a lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act — two things he campaigned on. It limits the state’s early voting period, a move that would make it harder for Democrats to win future elections.

A party tried to do something like this (albeit on a larger scale) after losing an election where I live in a developing country high up on the global corruption index. Even there, it was beyond the pale and was struck down.

US electoral politics are often closer to those in the developing world than they are to most other Western countries, and in some areas they are worse.

youknowme

It is a bit disheartening that some people adopt this win-at-all-cost mentally, as it is a reckless and dangerous frame of mind. It certainly is not the spirit of Democracy nor what the Founding Fathers intended. The US was built on a foundation of compromise and that is one of the pillars that have made it great; recall that George Washington only served two terms when he could have very likely been president for life and then, until FDR, presidents served at most two terms when there were no laws actually limiting them to two terms. That is not a win-at-all-cost approach.

However, it should be noted that not all Republicans adopt this win-at-all-cost position, some of them still believe in Democracy.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is a bit disheartening that some people adapt this win-at-all-cost mentally, as it is a reckless and dangerous frame of mind. It certainly is not the spirit of Democracy nor what the Founding Fathers intended. The US was built on a foundation of compromise and that is one of the pillars that have made it great; recall that George Washington only severed two terms when he could have very likely been president for life.
The founders knew that the worst excesses of humans would play out in politics.
That's why our system was set up as it is, eg, separation of powers, the Constitution
establishing civil liberties, a slow amendment process. They didn't expect nobility to
afflict politicians. Neither do I.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
However, it should be noted that not all Republicans adopt this win-at-all-cost position, some of them still believe in Democracy.
True, but where are they now and why are they silent about voter suppression that other Republicans have tried in 22 of the 50 states?

youknowme

If the Founding Fathers had a win-at-all-cost mentally when shaping the government, America would have had a king instead of a president.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If the Founding Fathers had a win-at-all-cost mentally when shaping the government, America would have had a king instead of a president.
Win-at-all-cost wasn't the goal.
But recognizing that some people practice that was a consideration.
I say their operating philosophy in system design was....
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Wisconsin finally woke up and realized Walker was destroying Wisconsin with republican policies. Hurting the middle class in the process.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What the Wisconsin Republicans are doing is entirely legal.

Tempest in a teapot.
Legal is one thing. Destructive of democracy and inviting retaliation is another. So you'd be 100% of when a Democratic legislature hobbled a Republican governor, changed the voting laws to depress conservative turnout and so forth. That's good to know.

Shad

Veteran Member
Well nothing has actually been done, and that is part of the problem. There are absolutely some Republican Senators trying to prod Congress in to action concerning this over reach of Presidential powers; however, a battle with Trump over this could be politically damaging and so many Republicans just want to try to wait things out. In the long run, considering current events now or not, this really would be the best move for the country.

No they are concerned how Trump uses the power not the power itself. Ergo hence why the power only became an issue when Trump became POTUS not Bushes, Obama, Clinton, Reagan, etc, etc

The President should not have this level of influence over a criminal investigation that includes the President.

It is the only branch of government that is legally entitled to said power due to the division of power in the Constitution.

It is just common sense, and one day the Republicans are going to regret not acting when they had the chance.

They will regret it only when a Dem is in such a situation. Just like the Dems only cared when a GOP member had said power. It is a game, nothing more.

youknowme

No they are concerned how Trump uses the power not the power itself. Ergo hence why the power only became an issue when Trump became POTUS not Bushes, Obama, Clinton, Reagan, etc, etc

It is the only branch of government that is legally entitled to said power due to the division of power in the Constitution.

They will regret it only when a Dem is in such a situation. Just like the Dems only cared when a GOP member had said power. It is a game, nothing more.

It is still a common sense policy and what is more beneficial to the people of the US.

youknowme

Common sense in what way? Beneficial in what way?

If I was under investigation for a crime should I be in charge of that investigation? Should I be able to round up all my friends, or other people loyal to me, and have them conduct the investigation?