• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wisconsin power grab is part of a bigger Republican attack on democracy

Cooky

Veteran Member
In their quest for continued power these politicians are openly disregarding the election results.

Or is it: In their quest for continued power, these politicians are openly disregarding all of their oppositions opinions and concerns.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I begin to think that there are many who take the advantages of democracy for granted. And that there are many that don't really understand what a democracy is. They grew up with strong, democratic institutions and have not experienced what it might be like to live without them. They can't process or understand what it might be like to not have them, so they do not panic when they are undermined or assaulted. As far as I'm aware, America has never been a true democracy within my lifetime, but some of the shifts that have been happening lately are... surreal. Values I was taught are core to this country are being upended. If this is how my culture looses its collective mind when times are pretty darned good, I am very afraid of how things will play out as the impacts of various mismanagement worsens.

pearl

Or is it: In their quest for continued power, these politicians are openly disregarding all of their oppositions opinions and concerns.

The opinions and concerns of the voters who voted for a change, stripping the new governor of powers assures little change.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Republicans well know that demographics and time are making winning more difficult for them, so they've obviously decided that it no longer is "It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game" but much more of "Win at any cost!".

Hey, with 81% of Republicans still supporting Trump in the last poll I saw, what should we expect?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry, undermining basic institutions is not democracy.
Au contraire, bruderherz....democracy is all about each side trying to undermine the other.
Some have the mistaken notion that democracy is noble & fair.
It's not.
It's just the masses steering government...not always in the direction we want.
And I can't help but notice that it has been the Republican party who have lead that charge for over 20 years. It has left me unable to vote for anybody with an "R" after their name since 2010.
Tom
I sympathize.
But the other side has been trying to do its damage too.
(Individual definitions of "damage" will vary.)

Daemon Sophic

Power is power. Imagine the seductive temptations of power. Hard for anyone to resist. Could you resist?

Deep down in your soul, you know what's best for everyone. Ok, so superficially I know you are suppose to deny this, but really if the rest of the world would just listen to you, this would be a perfect place.

I'm sure these politicians are only doing the world a favor, as they see it.
:rolleyes:
tumblr_nah2c95GO71tem7ooo5_250.gif

Daemon Sophic

Yup, it's not like the left doesn't do it... It's just that they play outrage when it happens to them.

...Selective outrage.
Au contraire, bruderherz....democracy is all about each side trying to undermine the other.
Some have the mistaken notion that democracy is noble & fair.
It's not.
It's just the masses steering government...not always in the direction we want.

I sympathize.
Every time the Republicans (or what party calls itself ‘Republican’) do this, there are always those who claim “well the left does the same all the time......yet......you never present examples of equivalent malefaction.

I recall a discussion of right-wing propoganda on most TV channels several years back, and the best the righties could come back with as an equivalent was “well they slammed the VP for spelling ‘potatoes’ wrong.” o_O:facepalm:

I await your scorn of the call “false equivalency”! ....along with your failure to find a democratic-party-controlled legislature defanging an incoming conservative governor, or anything close to this bad by democrats within the last 50 years.

PS. —. I don’t even know. I’m really curious if the dems have honestly done anything this underhanded in the last half-century.

Daemon Sophic

A tangentially related article —> here <— while trying to research an answer to my own preceding post.

Tangential because it is a run-down of the criminal cases against federal admin officials, and not of underhanded political maneuvers like....saaayyy, gerrymandering....or failing to review candidates for the SCOTUS (justice delayed is justice denied).....or....a president maintaining his business dealings while manipulating laws that influence said dealings. To name a few. Really, anything on those levels would be close to equivalence for Wisconsin’s legislative corruption.
Go ahead.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nope.
That's partisanship at the expense of democracy and the best interests of the people.

sympathize.
BS.
Show me something from the Dems on the level of the Clinton Impeachment Circus and then I will stop referring to you as the King of the False Equivalency.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
Seems like representative democracy to me with a typical executive vs legislative battle.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Dems trying to remove executive authority regarding Mueller as an officer of the executive branch thus under the authority of the executive branch headed by POTUS.

I don't see how that is a power grab for the Democrats, since both Mueller and Trump are Republicans. Furthermore those efforts are coming from both sides of Congress and it is expressly Congress's job to provide a check on the powers of the Executive Branch.

youknowme

Limiting the Presidency powers to interfere with criminal investigations concerning the Presidency seems like common sense to me and a win win for both parties. I really do not understand why people have a problem with this one. It is something that should have been done a long time ago.

Shad

Veteran Member
I don't see how that is a power grab for the Democrats, since both Mueller and Trump are Republicans.

As the legislative branch is trying to restrict the executive. The move was done by Dems not the GOP.

Furthermore those efforts are coming from both sides of Congress

Nope.

it is expressly Congress's job to provide a check on the powers of the Executive Branch.

By using legislation to challenge constitution power bypassing the constitutional law required to amend Constitution. So it is even worse than the OP example as the move was done by unconstitutional methods. Yup their job is to ignore the laws which they govern by. You got me!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Every time the Republicans (or what party calls itself ‘Republican’) do this, there are always those who claim “well the left does the same all the time......yet......you never present examples of equivalent malefaction.

I recall a discussion of right-wing propoganda on most TV channels several years back, and the best the righties could come back with as an equivalent was “well they slammed the VP for spelling ‘potatoes’ wrong.” o_O:facepalm:

I await your scorn of the call “false equivalency”! ....along with your failure to find a democratic-party-controlled legislature defanging an incoming conservative governor, or anything close to this bad by democrats within the last 50 years.

PS. —. I don’t even know. I’m really curious if the dems have honestly done anything this underhanded in the last half-century.
This is the false false equivalency fallacy.
Why?
- One person's "underhanded" is another's "righteous".
You & I won't always agree which is which.
- I could paint the Democrats as worse than (certainly not
equivalent to) Republicans, their being bad notwithstanding.
- In subjective matters (due to different perspectives & values),
your presumption that Dems are better is non-factual....just opinion.

You want an example of underhanded Democrats?
Al Gore tried in 2000 to block overseas military ballots, ostensibly
because they arrived too late, but actually because they were
likely to favor the opposition.

Last edited:

youknowme

As the legislative branch is trying to restrict the executive. The move was done by Dems not the GOP.

Well nothing has actually been done, and that is part of the problem. There are absolutely some Republican Senators trying to prod Congress in to action concerning this over reach of Presidential powers; however, a battle with Trump over this could be politically damaging and so many Republicans just want to try to wait things out. In the long run, considering current events now or not, this really would be the best move for the country. The President should not have this level of influence over a criminal investigation that includes the President. It is just common sense, and one day the Republicans are going to regret not acting when they had the chance.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nope.
That's partisanship at the expense of democracy and the best interests of the people.

BS.
Show me something from the Dems on the level of the Clinton Impeachment Circus and then I will stop referring to you as the King of the False Equivalency.
Tom
Must you turn every disagreement into a TDS cat fight?

Examples of bad Democrat behavior:
They tolerated Bill Clinton's sexual predation with barely a peep from those who should've
decried it. They feign feminism, yet they attacked & tolerated sexist attacks on women he
victimized ("trailer trash", "bimbo"). This was worse than Republicans impeaching Clinton
for perjury, suborning perjury, & obstructing justice. Note they didn't convict Bill.

And now Democrats are chomping at the bit to prosecute Trump & all
around him. For Trump, they don't even know what they want to charge
him with. They just hope & presume that they'll find something....anything.

One could also argue there's no equivalency, false or otherwise, since Dems
are worse. But I won't go there because (aside from being murky) it should
be about opposing what is wrong, not a contest to argue who is worse in
order to exculpate the home team using the lesser malefactor defense.

Face it.....you have opinions...not "The Truth".
But I won't say you're wrong. You're not even wrong.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
The opinions and concerns of the voters who voted for a change, stripping the new governor of powers assures little change.

It's not like it was a landslide victory either. In which case, it's not ethical to turn everything upside down when merely half the state is in opposition.

...I could see maybe with 3/4 of the state being for this "change". But ethically, there should be very little change when a mere fraction of swing voters swing in the other direction.