• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wisconsin power grab is part of a bigger Republican attack on democracy

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

On Wednesday morning, the Republican-controlled state legislature passed a bill that would seize key powers from incoming Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, who defeated incumbent Gov. Scott Walker in November. ..

The bill blocks Evers’s ability to change state welfare policy and withdraw from a lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act — two things he campaigned on. It limits the state’s early voting period, a move that would make it harder for Democrats to win future elections. And this is all happening during the lame-duck session before Evers takes power, rushed through quickly in an explicit effort to weaken Democrats and prevent the new governor from doing what he was elected to do. In essence, Wisconsin Republicans are telling the state’s voters that their preferences will be ignored.

This would be troubling enough if it were a one-off. But it’s not.

Michigan Republicans are currently weighing similar plans, and both are following in the footsteps of North Carolina Republicans, who passed a power-stripping bill after a Democratic victory in the 2016 governor’s race. State Republicans in three of the country’s most vital swing states are displaying open contempt for the most basic principle of democracy: that when you lose an election, you have to hand over power to your opponents. The national party hasn’t condemned these power grabs, giving the state legislatures tacit permission to rewrite the rules.

These power grabs highlight one of the most disturbing facts about American politics today: The Republican Party has become institutionally indifferent to the health of democracy. It prioritizes power over principle to such an extreme degree that it undermines the most basic functioning of democracy.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

On Wednesday morning, the Republican-controlled state legislature passed a bill that would seize key powers from incoming Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, who defeated incumbent Gov. Scott Walker in November. ..

The bill blocks Evers’s ability to change state welfare policy and withdraw from a lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act — two things he campaigned on. It limits the state’s early voting period, a move that would make it harder for Democrats to win future elections. And this is all happening during the lame-duck session before Evers takes power, rushed through quickly in an explicit effort to weaken Democrats and prevent the new governor from doing what he was elected to do. In essence, Wisconsin Republicans are telling the state’s voters that their preferences will be ignored.

Michigan Republicans are currently weighing similar plans, and both are following in the footsteps of North Carolina Republicans, who passed a power-stripping bill after a Democratic victory in the 2016 governor’s race. State Republicans in three of the country’s most vital swing states are displaying open contempt for the most basic principle of democracy: that when you lose an election, you have to hand over power to your opponents. The national party hasn’t condemned these power grabs, giving the state legislatures tacit permission to rewrite the rules.

These power grabs highlight one of the most disturbing facts about American politics today: The Republican Party has become institutionally indifferent to the health of democracy. It prioritizes power over principle to such an extreme degree that it undermines the most basic functioning of democracy.
I have been trying to keep up with this development, this is not okay.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Democratically elected representatives trying to
defang a democratically elected governor?
It's not an attack on democracy....it is democracy.
No one ever said would be pretty.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's like the current crop of politician's have never heard, "What goes around, comes around." Jeeez.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's like the current crop of politician's have never heard, "What goes around, comes around." Jeeez.
And the critique could be alternatively phrased as.....
"Brave legislature unites to prevent new governor from
destroying democracy by upending the will of the people."

Sanzbir

Of course. Wisconsinites elected a Republican legislative body.

It's the will of the people of Wisconsin that our legislative and executive branches oppose one another.

As a Wisconsinite third party voter, I think this is a good development. Let the Republican legislature try to defang the Democratic executive, and let's hope the Democratic executive responds by trying to defang the Republican legislature. Let 'em whittle down their own powers. They'll be too busy trying to screw each other over to screw the rest of us over, good.

Sure, you can argue that the Governor is being prevented from doing what he was elected to do by the Representatives and Senators, but those Representatives and Senators were elected to do that too. The democratic will of the people in my State, apparently, is that the different bodies in power should be opposed to one another.

Just as it is technically the will of the American people for the Congress to try to obstruct the President, an action I doubt many of the people who have a problem with the Wisconsin legislature's actions mind too much.

Them doing this violates the will of the people in what the people elected the governor to do. But them not doing this violates the will of the people in what the people elected the legislature to do. Either option is simultaneously both a violation and affirmation of the popular will. Says some interesting things about Democracy, probably, in how the same people can elect different politicians who will in turn oppose one another but hey, that's how the votes turned out.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
It is not Democracy, but it is politics and Republicans just seem better at working the system than Democrats. However, the Democrats have been able to capture the youth and in the game of politics this is where the real power is at. Unless Republicans can start appealing to younger generations then their "power grab", in the long run, is just another speed bump.

Cooky

Veteran Member

This reminds me of how the left tried to block Trump from banning people from certain countries from entering the U.S. and other things.

See how doing stuff like that makes it normal? God forbid mass corruption overtakes this country like it has in so, so many other places.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Democratically elected representatives trying to
defang a democratically elected governor?
It's not an attack on democracy....it is democracy.
No one ever said would be pretty.

Yup, it's not like the left doesn't do it... It's just that they play outrage when it happens to them.

...Selective outrage.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Machine+Politics+in+the+early+1900%E2%80%99s.jpg

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.

It is politically beneficial to shine the spotlight on the shenanigans of your opponents even if doing so makes you a hypocrite.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sometimes I forget about that. Selective memory perhaps, being I don't want it to be true.

Power is power. Imagine the seductive temptations of power. Hard for anyone to resist. Could you resist?

Deep down in your soul, you know what's best for everyone. Ok, so superficially I know you are suppose to deny this, but really if the rest of the world would just listen to you, this would be a perfect place.

I'm sure these politicians are only doing the world a favor, as they see it.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Power is power. Imagine the seductive temptations of power. Hard for anyone to resist. Could you resist?

Deep down in your soul, you know what's best for everyone. Ok, so superficially I know you are suppose to deny this, but really if the rest of the world would just listen to you, this would be a perfect place.

I'm sure these politicians are only doing the world a favor, as they see it.

I am a very weak, weak man. I would be seduced easily by such temptations.

pearl

In their quest for continued power these politicians are openly disregarding the election results.