• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The whole ball of wax

Pah

Uber all member
When you take pride in the history and accomplishements of your country, do you balance that with the shame and the wrongs your country perpetuated?

Bob

Lintu

Absolutely. I realize that there are aspects to America that are wonderful when compared to things that go on in other countries. But, at the same time, I think it's really dangerous to become blindly patriotic and ignore the terrible things we've done, as well. It's also interesting living in America and having native ancestry. America has created many great things, but was also responsible for the general eradication of my father's people. That makes things pretty darn complicated in my mind.

Master Vigil

I love how we are going after terrorists right now, but we forget that the founders of our country, and those who helped found the country, were thought of as terrorists by the British. (Or is that a wrong assumption?)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
MV, I would say that they were thought of as terrorists by the people already living here.... by our definition of a terrorist today.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I would say so. In studying history you must be as objective as you possibly can which can sometimes be difficult.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Is it logical to feel pride at the acheivments of people because the once inhabited the same bordered land as yourself?

I personally take pride in everyones successes, similarly I feel ashamed when humans kill and hurt each other. No matter where they live. Anyone else share this?