• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "who do you turn to......" question

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Many times I get asked by religious people, "Who do you turn to when you're troubled?"

Well first would be my wife, then my family. But the next question is, "but what if they aren't there or are no longer around?"

Well then I would turn to myself. I am in control of what happens to me to an extent and I choose whether to be sad or happy, to want to live or die, or to be a burden or an asset to society. Being an optimist, I know that attitude takes you where you want to be.

How do others answer this question who are atheists or agnostics?

blackout

Violet.
I'd say I'm theist in a very loose sense.
(and certainly not in a way understood by monotheists)

When I am troubled,
I turn inward first.
I like to go to my room
lay down
relax deep
and explore deep inside mySelf.

If I cannot relax enough to do this well,
I turn to my best friend.
The one with which I can talk freely, honestly
and without inhibition.
Then when I am relaxed enough
I retreat into mySelf again.

My children also help me
when I'm too tense to meditate well.
They love me so much
so we cuddle,
or talk in a relaxed way,
they make me laugh,
and sometimes they try to rub my shoulders. :)

Then... again... in the end...
I turn within.
There is great healing within.
As well it is the only place
that MOST personal things can be resolved.
Though the love of the ones you love most
can help you heal and realize your Self as well.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Oh yes.

And sometimes I will do a Tarot spread.

It is a most excellent tool for exploring the Self.

Symbolic workings also help me,
but still even then,
I am turning to my own Self.

blackout

Violet.
If I can get relaxed enough when I am stressed about something,
It can be a great release to pour all of my emotions and troubles
into the piano keyboard.

I just free improvise.

It also is very healing,
and has pulled forth some of my very best playing.

Then when I'm done,
I'm left with a 'buzz'.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to turn to my mother when I am emotionally in need. But if I want guidance for the divine, then I look into mySelf.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Many times I get asked by religious people, "Who do you turn to when you're troubled?"

Well first would be my wife, then my family. But the next question is, "but what if they aren't there or are no longer around?"

Well then I would turn to myself. I am in control of what happens to me to an extent and I choose whether to be sad or happy, to want to live or die, or to be a burden or an asset to society. Being an optimist, I know that attitude takes you where you want to be.

I've always been very self-contained. I've yet to encounter a trouble/problem, that I actually need somebody else to fix/make better.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Best response: I'll turn to my best friend hard liquor.

I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch!

Seriously though, how exactly does a being you cannot communicate with offer any more solace than a bartender? Perhaps the thought of heaven does, but then that typically accompanies the belief that billions are going to hell.

A quote I like, although I can't remember the specific wording, and its one of those randomly hard things to find with google: "That the religious person is happier than the unbeliever is no different than why the drunk is happier with his drink."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Honestly, the question never occurred to me.

I mean, if I need help and someone's around to give it, I'll ask, but if nobody's around, I just deal with the problem as well as I can on my own.

I guess when a problem rears its head, my first instinct is to deal with it (or sometimes to avoid it ;)), not necessarily to find someone who will help me deal with it.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch!

Seriously though, how exactly does a being you cannot communicate with offer any more solace than a bartender? Perhaps the thought of heaven does, but then that typically accompanies the belief that billions are going to hell.

A quote I like, although I can't remember the specific wording, and its one of those randomly hard things to find with google: "That the religious person is happier than the unbeliever is no different than why the drunk is happier with his drink."
I think because the perception is that an invisible entity, with no prejudices regardless of situation, race, gender, etc. is willing to "listen" to that troubled person. I've gone with my mother to my grandmother's grave and she talks to her as if she was still alive. I guess it makes people feel more comfortable talking to invisible entities when in reality all they are doing is just working on themselves.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
I think because the perception is that an invisible entity, with no prejudices regardless of situation, race, gender, etc. is willing to "listen" to that troubled person. I've gone with my mother to my grandmother's grave and she talks to her as if she was still alive. I guess it makes people feel more comfortable talking to invisible entities when in reality all they are doing is just working on themselves.

Well if a god is willing to listen, yet never communicates back, then how is it any more useful to tell things to than a brick wall or wheel of cheese?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It depends on the trouble. If it's trouble that requires the expertise of another individual, I identify the correct individual and seek assistance from that person.

If it is emotional/philosophical trouble, only the self can fix the situation for its own self.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well if a god is willing to listen, yet never communicates back, then how is it any more useful to tell things to than a brick wall or wheel of cheese?
Depending on the mindset of the individual, the being does not have to exist to be useful and comforting.

Some people feel comfort by the concept that there is a benevolent consciousness in control that will make things good in one way or another.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Depending on the mindset of the individual, the being does not have to exist to be useful and comforting.

Some people feel comfort by the concept that there is a benevolent consciousness in control that will make things good in one way or another.
Which is why religion has a hold on people.