• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Western Left Hand Defined

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary heterodox- "not agreeing with established beliefs or standards" Full definition- "contrary to or different from an acknowledged standard, a traditional form, or an established religion: unorthodox, unconventional"

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
According to the Webster Dictionary contrarian is- " a person who takes an opposite or different position or attitude from other people."
Satan's Serrated Hedge is a Contrarian . . . I could say blue, he would say red :p
No, Contrarianism has nothing to do with the WLHP, in fact working alongside others in order to benefit one's self is a WLHP practice.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary heterodox- "not agreeing with established beliefs or standards" Full definition- "contrary to or different from an acknowledged standard, a traditional form, or an established religion: unorthodox, unconventional"
I'm using the sense of heterodoxy as meaning "deliberately seeking to break taboos and/or the law as a religious practice."

Satan's Serrated Hedge is a Contrarian . . . I could say blue, he would say red :p
No, Contrarianism has nothing to do with the WLHP, in fact working alongside others in order to benefit one's self is a WLHP practice.
That's only true of people talking out of both sides of their mouth. I don't disagree with you because I like to disagree, I disagree with you because what you write is often self contradictory or incoherent(with both being true in this instance)

Perhaps instead of offering yet another series of unsupported assertions followed by specious conclusions base on same, slow down, think about what you say, support your assertions with facts, define your terms, and respond to counter arguments with something else besides dismissive passive aggressive quips.

That's how adults do it.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
That's only true of people talking out of both sides of their mouth. I don't disagree with you because I like to disagree, I disagree with you because what you write is often self contradictory or incoherent(with both being true in this instance)

Perhaps instead of offering yet another series of unsupported assertions followed by specious conclusions base on same, slow down, think about what you say, support your assertions with facts, define your terms, and respond to counter arguments with something else besides dismissive passive aggressive quips.

That's how adults do it.
Show me what I said in this thread that is"self contradictory or incoherent"
What 'assertions' do you need supported?
Terms defined, which ones can I help you with?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I've tried to give up the concepts of the left and right, mainly because of the disaster we made of it here. I am a companion of Set, no more or less.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I've tried to give up the concepts of the left and right, mainly because of the disaster we made of it here. I am a companion of Set, no more or less.
. . . and what would your spiritual goals be (if any) ?

VioletVortex

You can't define the Western Left Hand Path so rigidly. There are some Satanists who see themselves as subordinates to a Diabolical Satan. They think we are born to be slaves to Satan. To them, Satan is the highest individual and that one should become part of a greater individuality rather than attempting to create their own individuality.

I disagree with that point of view, but some Satanists do see Satan that way. Whether or not they are truly following the Left Hand Path is subject to debate.

Some of us are highly theistic and give ourselves up to Satan for protection or something. I believe Satan can be a source of protection.

The western Left Hand Path is extremely varied. It's only goal is not self empowerment. However, that's probably the goal of most Satanists/Luciferians.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
There are some Satanists who see themselves as subordinates to a Diabolical Satan. They think we are born to be slaves to Satan. To them, Satan is the highest individual and that one should become part of a greater individuality rather than attempting to create their own individuality.
They are clearly RHP Satanists for the Western LHP adherent worships and/or is subordinate to anything other one's higher Self . . . IMO

crossfire

Premium Member
You can't define the Western Left Hand Path so rigidly. There are some Satanists who see themselves as subordinates to a Diabolical Satan. They think we are born to be slaves to Satan. To them, Satan is the highest individual and that one should become part of a greater individuality rather than attempting to create their own individuality.
<...>

That would make them RHP Satanists. (It's not much different from other RHP if you just change the name of the God.) The cornerstone of WLHP is individualism, with antinomianism right up there as well, which is contrary to the herd mentality.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
There are some Satanists who see themselves as subordinates to a Diabolical Satan. They think we are born to be slaves to Satan. To them, Satan is the highest individual and that one should become part of a greater individuality rather than attempting to create their own individuality.

These folks are not Satanists or Left Hand Path in any way, shape, or form. I would consider them more as misguided reversed Christians, a dazed and confused version of that particular RHP religion.

VioletVortex

These folks are not Satanists or Left Hand Path in any way, shape, or form. I would consider them more as misguided reversed Christians, a dazed and confused version of that particular RHP religion.

A Satanist is anyone who has a favorable view of Satan. If a Satanist favors a tyrant version of Satan, they are a Satanist. Philosophically, they aren't true Satanists, but spiritually, they are.

Though, I do think those who say they aren't really LHP are correct.

That would make them RHP Satanists. (It's not much different from other RHP if you just change the name of the God.) The cornerstone of WLHP is individualism, with antinomianism right up there as well, which is contrary to the herd mentality.

Not if we are going by the existing(read - non-retconned) definition.

The RHP/LHP dichotomy is the Orthodox vs the unorthodox approach, or the nomian way vs the antinomian way. What/If/How you worship something (or nothing) is completely beside the point.

Kapalika

Premium Member
This topic was pretty interesting until about post 24.

I don't get why some people feel so strongly to exclude others from definitions. This label game is getting very, very tiring. Do we not have anything better to talk about? No common ground?

I feel as if Satans_Serrated_edge said it most concisely:

The RHP/LHP dichotomy is the Orthodox vs the unorthodox approach, or the nomian way vs the antinomian way. What/If/How you worship something (or nothing) is completely beside the point.

I would think this idea should just be what we go by for the purposes of this DIR since it's the most objectively stated and generalized one I've seen so far in all of these topics. It's also essentially the same statement I've seen others make in the past when discussing definitions in other places online. All this posturing, on both sides, is getting really old. I don't care who believes what about the term anymore, we all gotta share this DIR.

crossfire

Premium Member
This topic was pretty interesting until about post 24.

I don't get why some people feel so strongly to exclude others from definitions. This label game is getting very, very tiring. Do we not have anything better to talk about? No common ground?

I feel as if Satans_Serrated_edge said it most concisely:

I would think this idea should just be what we go by for the purposes of this DIR since it's the most objectively stated and generalized one I've seen so far in all of these topics. It's also essentially the same statement I've seen others make in the past when discussing definitions in other places online. All this posturing, on both sides, is getting really old. I don't care who believes what about the term anymore, we all gotta share this DIR.
Well, because the Western LHP is different from the Hindu definition of LHP. That is what the topic of this thread is all about. The difference is not going to go away by scorning and belittling the values of the WLHP. (That would be herding mentality.)

Last edited: