• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The weight of the Milky Way. Can it be estimated with any accuracy?

We Never Know

No Slack
Is there any point to this or just a waste of time and guesses?

A single solar mass weighs 2 x 10 to the power of 30 kilograms (66 pounds), or 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms.

But the Milky Way weights 1.5 trillion times that mass – that’s about 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000kilograms.

Scientists were able to work out this astronomically high number by measuring the speed of globular clusters – dense groups of stars orbiting the Milky Way’s spiral disc.

Astronomers have figured out how much the Milky Way weighs

Yerda

Veteran Member
That's a lot of matter. I think my dog weighs about the same when he sleeps on the duvet.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
My money is on it being worth doing.
I'm sure there are benefits, the very least of which is that it's interesting.
I think the big benefits will be in getting the galaxy back into shape. It has to know its baseline weight to be able to set fitness targets. Sure it is 13.5 billion years old, but not too old to get in shape and look good for beach season. Just watch that dark matter intake, get plenty of rest, avoid foods heavy in black holes and neutron stars. The ladies love a galaxy that takes care of itself. The galaxy will have more confidence and will be fine tuning itself like the old days.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the big benefits will be in getting the galaxy back into shape. It has to know its baseline weight to be able to set fitness targets. Sure it is 13.5 billion years old, but not too old to get in shape and look good for beach season. Just watch that dark matter intake, get plenty of rest, avoid foods heavy in black holes and neutron stars. The ladies love a galaxy that takes care of itself. The galaxy will have more confidence and will be fine tuning itself like the old days.
At least none of the other galaxies are picking on it for its weight.
And I expect a tryst with Andromeda soon.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
At least none of the other galaxies are picking on it for its weight.
And I expect a tryst with Andromeda soon.
That tryst is the talk around the water cooler. They were meant for each other.

Galaxy shaming. Terrible. Just terrible.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was referring to Milkies weight issues.

As to the other, I hope there are some good shots of those globular clusters and at least an attempt at a story.
Oh, the miscegenation & perversion of it all....black holes, white dwarves,
brown dwarves, red giants, spiral arms...be still my beating heart!

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, the miscegenation & perversion of it all....black holes, white dwarves,
brown dwarves, red giants, spiral arms...be still my beating heart!
Don't mess with the brown dwarves. No weight. That was Woodstock and it was not dwarves. I meant wait instead of weight, but this is a heavy subject, so maybe that was appropriate.