• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The way we breath.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In many spiritual paths it is focus on the breath. But do you really pay attention to how you breath during your day? Example do you breath only thru your nose (in and out breath) or do you breath in with your nose and out of your mouth?

The way we breath often affect our mental calmness during a day :)

Daemon Sophic

controlling one’s breathing is a very common technique to begin learning meditation. The first lesson is usually to calm your breathing and count each breath as it goes in and out.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In many spiritual paths it is focus on the breath. But do you really pay attention to how you breath during your day? Example do you breath only thru your nose (in and out breath) or do you breath in with your nose and out of your mouth?

I have severe asthma so have been very aware of my breathing since i was quite young. I remember when someone tried to teach me about 'stomach breathing' and I was already doing that technique just because I needed to.

On the other hand, my nose has typically been so stuffed up that breathing always through my nose would lead to quick apoxia. Some days are better than others. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
controlling one’s breathing is a very common technique to begin learning meditation. The first lesson is usually to calm your breathing and count each breath as it goes in and out.

yes very true :) 20 years ago when l learned meditation the focus on breath was the first step

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My training was 9 in, hold 1, 9 out. If you sit straight and feel the inside of your spine, near the base, and then visualise (and feel it 'rubbing' against your spine) the diaphragm goes up on the exhale, and down on the inhale. You can feel it (the diaphragm) gently massaging the spine from the inside. Fairly subtle. But once you have done this. it then becomes automtic for the rest of the meditation, and if you feel it dissipating, you can go back to counting.

Natural and relaxed, but it takes some time o get to that it comes without thinking. But just as with driving a car without thinking, you can train (reprogram) your breath to be that way without thinking as well. It's important for good health, for a ton of reasons. You can consciously lower both your heart rate, and your blood pressure with this method.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My Tai Chi/Qi Gong teacher who is a retired doctor stresses deep breathing especially as we get older. He says that the depths of the lung provide the perfect moist environment for bugs to grow and that our lung capacity is important when we get sick.

It's integrated with how we practice those Chinese forms.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

After smoking for 30 years my breathing has become very shallow and since quitting I am luxuriating in breathing deeply again. Already, I no longer see stars or get tingly and my stamina is getting better every day. I am breathing any way I can, but mainly through the nose. My guess is that I'll be focusing much more on this in the years to come as the damage to my lungs begins to repair itself and I get back to normal.

More pertinent to your question however is that my "spiritual" endeavors were never dependent on any particular breathing technique. For me, it was always largely irrelevant.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As for deep breathing, because of scar tissue, my small airways are about 35% of normal capacity. My 'deep' breathing is what normal people count as shallow.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

I breathe through my nose on an in breath until my stomach is fully extended and breathe out in reverse. When meditating, the breathes become longer and longer in between as I follow the process with all of my senses. Instantly being relaxed and lacking stress of any kind. It's rather amazing what we can do with our minds and body when done with intention.

Shantanu

I have never paid any attention to breathing techniques: just regard it as an essential part of survival.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have never paid any attention to breathing techniques: just regard it as an essential part of survival.

In meditation we learn in the beginning to focus on the breath, but when we become advanced in meditation no need to focus on breath because that will be a part of us in a better way then before we start meditation, being more aware all the time :) When we understand meditation there is no need to sitt cross legged anymore because we become meditation in it self

Shantanu

In meditation we learn in the beginning to focus on the breath, but when we become advanced in meditation no need to focus on breath because that will be a part of us in a better way then before we start meditation, being more aware all the time :) When we understand meditation there is no need to sitt cross legged anymore because we become meditation in it self
I do agree with one thing about Buddhism, which is non-attachment, so I am not attached to breathing: I survive for the present, not for the future any more now that I have become God (Buddhists may call it Bodhisattva for those who have attained nirvana - I do not know yet for sure), so I do not focus on breathing techniques, although even other Hindus have pointed this method to me as the hatha yoga technique of 'pranayama'.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do agree with one thing about Buddhism, which is non-attachment, so I am not attached to breathing: I survive for the present, not for the future any more now that I have become God (Buddhists may call it Bodhisattva for those who have attained nirvana - I do not know yet for sure), so I do not focus on breathing techniques, although even other Hindus have pointed this method to me as the hatha yoga technique of 'pranayama'.

Boddhisattva is term used in Mahayana buddhism. Boddhisattva are a buddhist who want to give others a posability to gain enlightenment before one self.
In Theravada buddhism we say an Arahant is one who attain enlightenment and can become a tathagata fully enlighten one :)

As human beings we never take time to focus on breath, because we tend to think that breath is only breath, but without it human die. To attain wisdom breath is actually important but as you say we should not cling to it or attach to it, only observe it and know breath :)

Shantanu

Boddhisattva is term used in Mahayana buddhism. Boddhisattva are a buddhist who want to give others a posability to gain enlightenment before one self.
In Theravada buddhism we say an Arahant is one who attain enlightenment and can become a tathagata fully enlighten one :)

As human beings we never take time to focus on breath, because we tend to think that breath is only breath, but without it human die. To attain wisdom breath is actually important but as you say we should not cling to it or attach to it, only observe it and know breath :)
Do you not wish to give others the possibility of gaining enlightenment?

Shantanu

Ofcourse but how can you save someone if you not gain enlightenment first :) I do not say Boddhisattva path is wrong, because they do it out of compassion toward others,
One should not have compassion towards others: one should focus on one's own survival.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One should mind one's own business.

Compassion toward others means that one see that they struggle to reach the truth, and compassion build up to give them a chance to attain the truth. I can not see how that is wrong?

To mind one`s own business sound very selfish, to say to someone i see you struggle but i do not care because i only care for my self?
No thats not the way i want to live

Shantanu

Compassion toward others means that one see that they struggle to reach the truth, and compassion build up to give them a chance to attain the truth. I can not see how that is wrong?

To mind one`s own business sound very selfish, to say to someone i see you struggle but i do not care because i only care for my self?
No thats not the way i want to live
We are all individuals.