• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Way of Living

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Why do we look for complex philosophies (ways) to live by? We naturally know one way, but it was hidden under our nose; the way of being. Just go with the flow and let the rest go?

It may seem easier said than done, but isn't that only because we make it that way? We have a whole history of philosophy telling us to change the objective reality to make things better, and then a century of eastern philosophy telling us to change the subjective reality, and then a century of western philosophy to change objective reality by changing subjective reality. Why not just accept everything as it moves along and change nothing?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Why do we look for complex philosophies (ways) to live by? We naturally know one way, but it was hidden under our nose; the way of being. Just go with the flow and let the rest go?

It may seem easier said than done, but isn't that only because we make it that way? We have a whole history of philosophy telling us to change the objective reality to make things better, and then a century of eastern philosophy telling us to change the subjective reality, and then a century of western philosophy to change objective reality by changing subjective reality. Why not just accept everything as it moves along and change nothing?

Perhaps that is out nature?

Straw Dog

I can dig it. I also get tired of overly-abstract philosophy without a real world application. Another meaning of philosophy though is having a calm and rational demeanor or approach to reality. We're all philosophers in so far as we seek to think clearly and rationally. I would also add that we are active participants in the flow of things rather than just passive observers. We already change things simply by being/becoming.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
We are bound to live in some way. Why not control the things you can control? How one lives is probably close to the top of the list for things one ought to be in control of if anything is on the list at all.

The Sum of Awe

We are bound to live in some way. Why not control the things you can control? How one lives is probably close to the top of the list for things one ought to be in control of if anything is on the list at all.

Because trying to control something and failing causes an end to bliss

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Because trying to control something and failing causes an end to bliss

Trying to control something and succeeding causes great bliss. "The greater the risk, the greater the return...nothing ventured, nothing gained." I'd rather try and fail than fold my hands and leave everything up to The Fates....those chicks are gross! (Just kidding Atropos, you're a total hotty...PLEASE don't cut my cord!)

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
You prefer ugly truths to beautiful lies? A kindred spirit indeed!

Indeed, but luckily I don't have to be so choosy. There are lies and truths both beautiful and ugly and plenty of them all to go around. And I'm glad I know this beautiful truth. ;)

The Sum of Awe

Why is bliss important? I'll take knowledge over bliss any day.

And you can gain knowledge and bliss from going with the flow. I never said it guaranteed bliss, I meant to say it was a simpler way to accomplish things people look for. Whether that be; knowledge, at ease, bliss, etc.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If we grant that perpetual change is fundamental to the nature of reality, then accepting everything as it moves in no way ceases the process of perpetual change. In sitting still, we are in motion. In doing nothing, we are agents of change.

The Sum of Awe

If we grant that perpetual change is fundamental to the nature of reality, then accepting everything as it moves in no way ceases the process of perpetual change. In sitting still, we are in motion. In doing nothing, we are agents of change.

What did you interpret it as when I was talking about accepting everything as it moves on?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What did you interpret it as when I was talking about accepting everything as it moves on?

Going with the flow, whatever that may be.

For example, my culture is predicated on an overly complicated way of living that adds many unnecessary layers onto survival. Instead of living simply off the land as our ancestors did, we complicate things with economies, governments, and jobs. Going with the flow in our context is continuing to be cogs in that machine instead of resisting to live simpler. Or, if you were born into simpler living and that is your flow, continuing with that and not entering into the great American rat race. No matter what you do, you're still going with the flow; you're still part of the perpetual change.

Or I'm just tired and not making any sense at all, because what I'm suggesting here is something of a paradox.

The Sum of Awe

Going with the flow, whatever that may be.

For example, my culture is predicated on an overly complicated way of living that adds many unnecessary layers onto survival. Instead of living simply off the land as our ancestors did, we complicate things with economies, governments, and jobs. Going with the flow in our context is continuing to be cogs in that machine instead of resisting to live simpler. Or, if you were born into simpler living and that is your flow, continuing with that and not entering into the great American rat race. No matter what you do, you're still going with the flow; you're still part of the perpetual change.

Or I'm just tired and not making any sense at all, because what I'm suggesting here is something of a paradox.

I see. interesting interpretation. But what I had in mind was more in relation with nature than systems and government. Systems themselves break the concept of going with the flow. I meant think what comes up in your mind and let it pass and such. Let the passing things pass.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would consider human cultures and governments part of nature, as they are a direct result of the fact that humans are social animals. Then again, there also isn't anything I would consider not to be part of nature, and I define the nature of something specific simply as what it does. Therefore, everything humans do is human nature, everything birds do is bird nature, everything rocks do is rock nature, etc. I leave the "ought" value judgements out of it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

We look at philosophies because we live by them. None of them are terribly complex; each is a chunk of who we all, as a group, are, and we as a group are all of them.

There's already a few dozen millennia of philosophy saying, "Just accept everything as it moves along." :)

The Sum of Awe

Let's just say that my interpretation of what I meant was being more persistent, but at the same time more at ease and calm.

Onkara

I put it down to interruptions. We cannot just get on with it as sooner or later we are interrupted by our thoughts and emotions, nagging us for answers and investigation.

My view is that we don't always make it complicated deliberately but these interruptions keep popping up, uninvited and complication comes as we try to address the interruptions. If we had a steady mind then in theory we might continue to live the flow of life. I agree, that is pretty much all there is, but change influences us... there is no way to step out of it as change is the flow it seems to me. :)

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Maybe you'd like my life philosophy. I call it the Open Door Policy. Basically, it just involves holding doors open for people after you've went through them. Simple enough, eh?