• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The watchmaker

Milton Platt

You find a watch on a deserted beach. You pick it up, and notice all the intricate parts. That's an interesting watch...

you knew the watch was designed because you contrasted it to everything around it, which was not designed. Otherwise, the watch would have no significance to you in that regard. You also have evidence of the existence of watchmakers. You can go to a factory and see a watch being manufactured.
This argument has been debunked long ago.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You assume the watch must be designed. However, you walk a little further inland and, in the middle of a forest, you find a tree from which hundreds of watches appear to be sprouting like flowers. Now what do you think?

That an atheist is making an analogy to avoid dealing with the question.

QuestioningMind

You find a watch on a deserted beach. You pick it up, and notice all the intricate parts. That's an interesting watch...

And....? This doesn't sound as if it's a complete thought. Shouldn't you have then added something like, Do you:

1. Put an ad in the paper for anyone who lost a watch on the beach.
2. Turn the watch into local authorities to see if it's claimed.
3. Pocket the watch and figure finders keepers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Stands out from the beach, yes.
If the beach is also designed, in what way does the watch stand out from the beach?

Do you understand that the analogy you're using assumes a contrast between the undesigned sand of an undesigned beach and a designed watch laying on that sand?

Otherwise, you've just got a watch in a sea of watches and no particular reason to point to one particular watch and say that it's special.

I believe the beach is designed, yes, can you guess why?
An a priori assumption, I'm guessing.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If the beach is also designed, in what way does the watch stand out from the beach?

Do you understand that the analogy you're using assumes a contrast between the undesigned sand of an undesigned beach and a designed watch laying on that sand?

Otherwise, you've just got a watch in a sea of watches and no particular reason to point to one particular watch and say that it's special.

An a priori assumption, I'm guessing.

Why assume the beach isn't designed? You already assumed the beach isn't designed, and, the watch you found was obviously something made somewhere that you would assume its just lost, or something.
You put various things into the premise, that are pre-concluded.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

Probably same way you notice anything on a deserted beach...

So the watch has no significance and therefore your argument is invalid??? My point is that I would know that a watch was made by a human being because I already have direct evidence of it. You cannot attempt to say that because humans can make watches, therefore the universe has a creator. What do you contract the supposedly created universe with to know it was created? What does an uncreated universe look like?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So the watch has no significance and therefore your argument is invalid??? My point is that I would know that a watch was made by a human being because I already have direct evidence of it. You cannot attempt to say that because humans can make watches, therefore the universe has a creator. What do you contract the supposedly created universe with to know it was created? What does an uncreated universe look like?
The direct evidence is the watch, however all you know or figure, is that it was made.
Then, you notice similar concept, and assume it isn't made. Where is the logic?

ERLOS

God Feeds the Ravens

Oh, forget the watch. Deliberate misunderstanding is always the sign of defeat in a discussion.

A naked Amazon indian out hunting birds with a blowpipe is suddenly confronted with a Google driverless car. Does he think it's just another animal?