• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The War on Christmas

Akivah

I only say "Merry Christmas" if I know the person is a Christian or if they say "Marry Christmas" to me. Other than that, I usually say "Have a good holiday" or something like that.

When I was younger, I used to get upset when people wished me "Merry Xmas". But nowadays, it doesn't bug me anymore. They aren't making personal statements, they just want to share their joy. I nearly always respond with "Happy Holidays" and no ones ever complained about my response.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Businesses are afraid to use the word Christmas in their advertising for fear of offending someone.
Then why do I see the word Christmas being used by businesses all over the place? They certainly do not seem to be shy about it, nor are the employees who say "merry Christmas."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When I was younger, I used to get upset when people wished me "Merry Xmas". But nowadays, it doesn't bug me anymore. They aren't making personal statements, they just want to share their joy. I nearly always respond with "Happy Holidays" and no ones ever complained about my response.
Exactly. But I gotta tell ya there were a few times in the past when someone wished me a "Merry Christmas" and I responded for them to have a "Happy Hanukkah" and then looked at the puzzled look on their face. However, I stopped doing that because I didn't get positive "vibes" back.

Akivah

Exactly. But I gotta tell ya there were a few times in the past when someone wished me a "Merry Christmas" and I responded for them to have a "Happy Hanukkah" and then looked at the puzzled look on their face. However, I stopped doing that because I didn't get positive "vibes" back.

Yeah, I tried the "Happy Hanuka" too, but abandoned it in favor of "Happy Holidays". The former caused unwarranted confusion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Christians hijacked this festival and renamed it Christmas in celebration of their saviour who wasn't born at Christmas. You don't hear Bill O moaning about that.
But we might be able to use him as a decorative red light over his face turning red if some blasphemous lazy pot-smoking godless liberal was on his show and had the nerve to ask about the war on Winter Solstice.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Businesses are afraid to use the word Christmas in their advertising for fear of offending someone. Soon all we will hear is "Happy mid-winter non-religious celebration to you." It might not be a war on Christmas but it is taking the holiday away from Christians in order to not offend non-Christians.
That seems like a good thing. People can still say Merry Christmas to fellow Christians. But, why would stores want to exclude customers?