• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The War in Ukraine

We Never Know

No Slack
How much can the US afford to give Ukraine?

I believe we are in for around $3-4 billion now with at least a total of over $13 billion in the plans.

I hate this pointless war but how can we constantly afford to fund a war when we are already over $30 trillion in debt.

After the war we will more than likely give billions more to help build them back better while our own things are falling apart.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I believe we are in for around $3-4 billion now with at least a total of over $13 billion in the plans.

I hate this pointless war but how can we constantly afford to fund a war when we are already over $30 trillion in debt.

After the war we will more than likely give billions more to help build them back better while our own things are falling apart.
The joys of a fiat economy where the solution is to print more rivers of endless money.

Politicians love that stuff.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, if Russia pays reparations when this is all over, Ukraine might be able to pay us back.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

We need to tax those with money rather than giving them corporate welfare and individual tax goodies so they pay a lot less than we do or nothing at all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is far far cheaper to give them aid than to roll over. How many of Russia's old possessions have to be ceded before you say "Stop!"? The good news is that we are not fighting there and it is unlikely that we will fight there.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The realist rationale for financial assistance in such cases is that it generally saves greater expenditure later, from failed states and further consequential mayhem. If Putin wins, he will go for other countries next and eventually NATO will be at war with him. That would be not just expensive, but potentially existential.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Everyone needs to keep giving for peace.

I support the giving of all assistance to Ukraine, even if it means poverty for our own selves.

Regards Tony

That's like 0.0004% of the debt, and probably about 10 days worth of interest on the debt.

Not exactly a game changer.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Currently we are seeing high inflation. That is part of the cost of printing money. We are looking at (I heard somewhere) 8% inflation per year, and that can balloon quickly.

As for whether we *can* do it, we can.

USA has the only reliable global currency in the world. That is disappointing, considering the inflation rate; but its actually better than any other global currency.

We Never Know

No Slack
It is far far cheaper to give them aid than to roll over. How many of Russia's old possessions have to be ceded before you say "Stop!"? The good news is that we are not fighting there and it is unlikely that we will fight there.

Who said roll over. Other countries can give more too. The US should'nt be the main financier

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Who said roll over. Other countries can give more too. The US should'nt be the main financier
Perhaps. I have no clue as to what other countries are donating. I agree that they should. But for the US supporting Ukraine does make good economic sense. We are doing this mostly out of self interest.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's no cheaper war than one where we supply
only materiel to the people doing all the fighting.

My friend who's over there fighting just posted
that Russia is now bombing homes in Mykolaiv.
He'd like to see someone take Putin out. (His
language was more colorful than mine.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It is expensive to contain geniuses that think the world would be better off conquered.

I'm pretty sure that we can afford to help the homeless and also pay that other expense.

To get taxpayers to help the homeless you have to quiet their concerns about "Well what if everyone takes advantage of the system?" and "Well why are they homeless in the first place? Why don't they want to work?" and "We'll flood the system with players!"

One thing we could do is study the psychology of a homeless man, a homeless woman, etc. We could study the things they worry about and the reasons they give up working. Why do they often come across to taxpayers as players? Are they players? How can we tell the difference between a player and a person who has given up hope or simply cannot get help? Taxpayers would prefer there to be answers to these questions. They repeatedly complain that it bothers them that someone might be able to get something without needing it. Many would sooner fund a monorail.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
By the way...it is awkward that you can find news only in Italian about Putin's achievements.