• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The verse-reproduction test

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
It says in the Qu'Ran to challenge the reader to see if they can write a verse as well as any of the verses in it. The Qu'Ran also states that a verse is worth a camel.

I have also heard it been said that if you don't like the Book of Mormon, try to write a verse like in it.

What scriptures of various religions do you think pass the verse-reproduction test - that they cannot be imitated?

If you think the scripture of a various religion fails the verse-reproduction test, can you supply an equivalent verse?

Tumah

Veteran Member
What are the standards: what about these verses are we meant to be trying to replicate? Does every third letter need to be a consonant, but it still needs to rhyme? Do the vowels need to follow a certain order for a certain number of words? What are the objectives measurements by which we can determine whether or not we've been successful?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It says in the Qu'Ran to challenge the reader to see if they can write a verse as well as any of the verses in it. The Qu'Ran also states that a verse is worth a camel.

I have also heard it been said that if you don't like the Book of Mormon, try to write a verse like in it.

What scriptures of various religions do you think pass the verse-reproduction test - that they cannot be imitated?

If you think the scripture of a various religion fails the verse-reproduction test, can you supply an equivalent verse?

Equivalent to what?
Many an author has written verse to beat scriptures, some of Shakespeare's sonnets for example.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Who is to be the judge? Muslims will not accept a non-Muslim judge and and non-Muslim would know that a Muslim judge would almost certainly be biased. It sounds like Kent Hovind's million dollar challenge where he challenged others to supply evidence for evolution based upon a faulty definition of evidence.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Equivalent to what?
Many an author has written verse to beat scriptures, some of Shakespeare's sonnets for example.
Who is to be the judge? Muslims will not accept a non-Muslim judge and and non-Muslim would know that a Muslim judge would almost certainly be biased. It sounds like Kent Hovind's million dollar challenge where he challenged others to supply evidence for evolution based upon a faulty definition of evidence.
Good points my friends.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Equivalent to what?
My mom just responded back to me when I quoted your two posts and said that a lot of people, including Shakespeare, may be inspired by God as well.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The test results are obvious given time.

If you have a Message from God, your life would already show it to be so. Records of that life and what was said then stand up to the test of Truth.

Anybody not of God who claims to be, can and will not pass. Thier words will not be remembered. Those that had the Message are still followed to this day.

Regards Tony

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Really. What is it then?

For one a theorem is not just an equation, it is a statement, and I am talking about "methods" of mgfs.

Here is an example of one (there are several):

Let Mx(t) and My(t) denote the moment-generating functions of random variables X and Y, respectively. If both moment-generating functions exist and Mx(t) =My(t) for all values of t, then X and Y have the same probability distribution. - thm 6.1 in Mathematical Statistics with Applications, by Wackerly, Mendenhall, Scheaffer, p.318

ChristineM

Premium Member
My mom just responded back to me when I quoted your two posts and said that a lot of people, including Shakespeare, may be inspired by God as well.

Perhaps so for some, certainly not for others.

As for Shakespeare, it is unknown what his religion was or even whether he subscribed to any religion. Given that we know so much of his life, often down to what he ate it is surprising that his religious beliefs are unknown.

Verse is subjective, what is good to one person could be absolutely terrible to an other. Personally i dont find anything particularly good in religious texts.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Perhaps so for some, certainly not for others.

As for Shakespeare, it is unknown what his religion was or even whether he subscribed to any religion. Given that we know so much of his life, often down to what he ate it is surprising that his religious beliefs are unknown.

Verse is subjective, what is good to one person could be absolutely terrible to an other. Personally i dont find anything particularly good in religious texts.
I think the verse-reproduction test doesn't worry about who writes what to whom and how. I think it is just something you can try.

Can you create the equivalent of a verse to yourself? That's all that is asked.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think the verse-reproduction test doesn't worry about who writes what to whom and how. I think it is just something you can try.

Can you create the equivalent of a verse to yourself? That's all that is asked.

No, and why would i wish to?

In no way do i even pretend to be an poet or writer of verse, there are far greater authors than me.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
An interesting side story about the Book of Mormon.

Martin Harris wanted to borrow the "translated" (I put it in quotes to obey the RF proselytizing rules but I believe it) pages of the Book Mormon; it was 116 pages so far. He asked Joseph Smith to pray that he could do it. Joseph Smith prayed and said no twice. Then the third time the prayer was that he could do it.

Then Martin Harris lost the 116 pages, hence the story being called "Martin Harris and the Lost 116 pages."

So Joseph Smith "inquired of the Lord what he should do." (I believe it).

The Lord said that men would alter the 116 pages and wait until they were translated. Then they would compare their pages to the actual Book of Mormon and make it look like Joseph Smith was a poor translator. The Lord told Joseph Smith that they would never be able to translate the 116 pages again, but that his plan is greater than the cunning of the devil and that things would still work out.