• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vegetarian Recipes Thread

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know if I've done this here but i am making it later qnd im not trawling back through the thread to check.

It's w fish dish do a no, no for vegans but ok for those vegetarians like my daughter who will eat fish.

Its simple and quick and very tasty.

Preheat the oven to 200c

A fillet of white fish per person.

A teaspoon of capers per person

Half a dozen pitted black olives per person

A thin slice of lemon per person.

Salt and pepper.

Olive oil.

Place the fish on a piece of oiled aluminium foil on a baking tray
Sprinkle with capers and olives.
Lay a slice of lemon on top.
Sprinkle with a little olive oil.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Fold the aluminium foil to cover the fish.
Bung it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Tonight i am making it with new potatoes, cleaned and sliced. Microwaved until just going tender. Spread out on the baking tray, sprinked with olive oil, salt anf pepper and browned as the fish cooks

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do something similar, but I use roasted pita chips.

Here:
1 drained can of garbanzo beans
1 medium sized tomato chopped
1 spring onion or chives chopped
oregano or basil [fresh or dried]
garlic salt
ground pepper
e.v. olive oil
balsamic vinegar
roasted pita chips

Mix the top 8 items and then sprinkle the chips on top so they don't get soggy. This is my favorite summer lunch.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't know if I've done this here but i am making it later qnd im not trawling back through the thread to check.

It's w fish dish do a no, no for vegans but ok for those vegetarians like my daughter who will eat fish.

Its simple and quick and very tasty.

Preheat the oven to 200c

A fillet of white fish per person.

A teaspoon of capers per person

Half a dozen pitted black olives per person

A thin slice of lemon per person.

Salt and pepper.

Olive oil.

Place the fish on a piece of oiled aluminium foil on a baking tray
Sprinkle with capers and olives.
Lay a slice of lemon on top.
Sprinkle with a little olive oil.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Fold the aluminium foil to cover the fish.
Bung it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Tonight i am making it with new potatoes, cleaned and sliced. Microwaved until just going tender. Spread out on the baking tray, sprinked with olive oil, salt anf pepper and browned as the fish cooks
That's surely delicious.:)
but people who eat fish and seafood are called Pescatarians.
Vegetarians eat vegetables (and eggs and diary only, no fish or meat).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I do something similar, but I use roasted pita chips.

Here:
1 drained can of garbanzo beans
1 medium sized tomato chopped
1 spring onion or chives chopped
oregano or basil [fresh or dried]
garlic salt
ground pepper
e.v. olive oil
balsamic vinegar
roasted pita chips

Mix the top 8 items and then sprinkle the chips on top so they don't get soggy. This is my favorite summer lunch.
Just a question: is semolina bread common in the United States?

ChristineM

Premium Member
A quick lunch : slices of mozzarella and pesto on fresh crusty bread

A tasty pasty : boil and drain some spinach, squeeze out the excess water, chop some mushrooms, chop a small onion, mix together along with a handful of pine nuts. Roll out the pastry, spoon the green goo onto one half of the pastry, fold it and seal the edges. Cook at 200c (400f gas 6) until the the pastry is golden

Because chestnuts are free to gather this time of year ive just made a variation on this recipe. Use chestnuts in place of pine nuts.

Equally delicious

metis

BTW, any of you familiar with the pescatarian diet. I'm looking into it as a compromise with my wife who's more of a carnivore than I am.

metis

Seriously.... what's to know?
There's a lot to it in terms of some long-term studies that have been done that has shown benefits from this approach, but I was hoping that someone maybe here at RF has been on it or knows more about it than I do.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There's a lot to it in terms of some long-term studies that have been done that has shown benefits from this approach, but I was hoping that someone maybe here at RF has been on it or knows more about it than I do.
I would think it is healthy enough. Vegetarian + low fat "meat." No doubt you'd get the iodine you need, but maybe also heavy metals that you don't need.

For a more informed :rolleyes: opinion:

- Pescatarian diet

exchemist

Veteran Member
BTW, any of you familiar with the pescatarian diet. I'm looking into it as a compromise with my wife who's more of a carnivore than I am.
So far as I know it just means eating fish but not meat. My son tried it for about a year. It's fine, so long as you like fish and can get a good variety of different kinds. We are lucky to have one of the relatively few independent fishmongers left in London, so we can ring the changes a fair bit with fish.

My own habit is to eat fish twice a week, oily fish (cheaper and healthier) on Tuesday and white fish or shellfish on Friday. Often a nominally vegetarian pasta dish will have anchovies in it somewhere, too, e.g. in tomato sauce or with broccoli. I think I could be pescatarian without finding it an unendurable sacrifice, though I would miss meat.

metis

So far as I know it just means eating fish but not meat. My son tried it for about a year. It's fine, so long as you like fish and can get a good variety of different kinds. We are lucky to have one of the relatively few independent fishmongers left in London, so we can ring the changes a fair bit with fish.

My own habit is to eat fish twice a week, oily fish (cheaper and healthier) on Tuesday and white fish or shellfish on Friday. Often a nominally vegetarian pasta dish will have anchovies in it somewhere, too, e.g. in tomato sauce or with broccoli. I think I could be pescatarian without finding it an unendurable sacrifice, though I would miss meat.
Ya, I love fish much more than meat, thus I really wouldn't be doing much of a sacrifice.

Merry Christmas to you & yours.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ya, I love fish much more than meat, thus I really wouldn't be doing much of a sacrifice.

Merry Christmas to you & yours.
Likewise to you and yours.

I'm getting geared up for Victoria's O Magnum Mysterium at Midnight Mass. We may be only 5 singers....

ChristineM

Premium Member
Posh bread and butter pudding.

This time of year we always seem to have at least one panettone left over (and i think @Estro Felino will also have some handy ;-)

So i make a bread and butter pudding using panettone instead of bread.

4 eggs
900gm/3 oz milk
50g/2 oz sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon
One panettone sliced.
50g/2 oz butter
25g/1oz currents if the panettone is plain.
Pinch of nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/has 4
To make the custard beat the eggs into the milk and stir in the sugar and lemon rind.
Butter an oven proof dish, cut the panettone into pieces and arrange it in layers in the dish. (If using currents statter them between the layers)
Pour the custard over the panettone anf leave for an hour or two to soak in.
Grate some nutmeg on top.
Top with a few dots of butter on top.
Bake for 45 minutes.

Note
Panettone is made using butter and eggs so not for vegans

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Posh bread and butter pudding.

This time of year we always seem to have at least one panettone left over (and i think @Estro Felino will also have some handy ;-)

So i make a bread and butter pudding using panettone instead of bread.

4 eggs
900gm/3 oz milk
50g/2 oz sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon
One panettone sliced.
50g/2 oz butter
25g/1oz currents if the panettone is plain.
Pinch of nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/has 4
To make the custard beat the eggs into the milk and stir in the sugar and lemon rind.
Butter an oven proof dish, cut the panettone into pieces and arrange it in layers in the dish. (If using currents statter them between the layers)
Pour the custard over the panettone anf leave for an hour or two to soak in.
Grate some nutmeg on top.
Top with a few dots of butter on top.
Bake for 45 minutes.

Note
Panettone is made using butter and eggs so not for vegans
Yes, indeed. After Xmas holidays...we always have some panettone left.
Not always...it's too good not to be eaten. :p