• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Value of Seeking

Zeroa

Dances With Mice
Seeking itself has some value. I have learned some things I am not sure I would have learned if I hadn't been exploring.

For one thing, I think that it helps to have something to compare things to. All these experiences I've had enrich my understanding of other experiences, both old and new.

I've also learned specific lessons at different points along the path. For example, when I was interested in Islam, I was too interested in the trappings-- the etiquette, the customs, the rules, the clothing, etc. At some point, I realized that those are not the first thing to worry about. I had a new understanding that it's the faith and the relationship with God that's at the core, and all those other things follow after. That was a valuable lesson in priorities moving forward.

So... Anybody else find value in the act of seeking?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
There's definitely value in it.

Just the knowledge you pick up is worth it. I know I've looked at many different Christian denominations, Islam, Ásatrú, Druidism, Wiccan, and several others.

I think it gives a better understanding of how the different ideas can actually be similar and how separate belief systems each handle the same questions.

Onkara

Hi Zeroa
I think you capture it perfectly. Nothing is wasted. What I have found is that after I scrape at the top of the surface, it is still God who lies underneath. My sensation is confirmation, not in any single faith but in God's greatness.

For those who don't believe in God, the above will sound odd or silly, but God fits no description, every ritual or manner of worship I have considered never seems to be enough.

It's great because you get to see things from many perspectives. There is an Indian parable known as "Blind men and an elephant" which demonstrates either the relativity or the inexpressible nature of the truth. There are several versions of it due to various religions. I'm going to tell you the Jain version.

The blind man who feels a leg says the elephant is like a pillar; the one who feels the tail says the elephant is like a rope; the one who feels the trunk says the elephant is like a tree branch; the one who feels the ear says the elephant is like a hand fan; the one who feels the belly says the elephant is like a wall; and the one who feels the tusk says the elephant is like a solid pipe. A wise man explains to them: "All of you are right. The reason every one of you is telling it differently is because each one of you touched the different part of the elephant. So, actually the elephant has all the features you mentioned." So you see: we are as the blind men. We all have a limited perspective of the totality of reality and thus we may all have a piece of the truth. Some of us may appear to contradict even when there really is no contradiction at all.

NTKen

Learner/Teacher
I have been seeking, off and on, for many years for the religion that fits my beliefs. It's like trying on gloves, I have short, fat fingers, so no gloves fit perfectly. Right now, I consider myself basically Baptist, but I am always looking for a glove that fits better, that I am more comfortable with. It helps that I enjoy learning new things simply for the joy of new knowledge. I have learned much, and continue to seek more. Maybe there is a perfect fit, and maybe I'll find it.:yes:

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
A Seeker receives an education in the process of the search. Some return to the place they started from, others find themselves somewhere unexpected, but all are more informed and have gained a better understanding of others (and themselves) in this quest.