• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The value of sacred texts under deism

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
"Deism is knowledge of God based on the application of our reason on the designs/laws found throughout Nature. The designs presuppose a Designer. Deism is therefore a natural religion and is not a ‘revealed’ religion." (Deism defined -- deism.com)
When I read "natural religion" I think of natural theology and, even taking into account the rejection of direct revelation from God, it seems to me that a deist could recognize value, potentially, in the sacred texts of various traditions, understanding them of course much differently than religionists of those traditions typically do.

Deists might read them as collections of imperfect human wisdom about God, representing the distillation of hundreds and thousands of years of human striving, even if none of it represents an infallible "divine revelation". Deism would have no reason to favor the sacred writings of one tradition over another, but could extract what might be of value from any. After all, human beings and their experiences are also part of the natural world, and presumably contribute to a natural theology.

So my question is, if you identify as a deist, what value do you think there might be in sacred texts of world religious traditions outside of "revelation", but as merely human creations?

Baladas

An Págánach
I identify as a Panendeist, which is still a brand of Deism, so I will give my thought...I value many religious texts as sources of great wisdom. I read every religious text (and most any text) with scrutiny.
In short, I view religious texts as potential sources of wisdom. To me, they are no different from philosophical texts that might help me to live a better life.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
"Deism is knowledge of God based on the application of our reason on the designs/laws found throughout Nature. The designs presuppose a Designer. Deism is therefore a natural religion and is not a ‘revealed’ religion." (Deism defined -- deism.com)​

Some of the most anti-deist people there are call themselves deists and claim to speak for the philosophy. So far, there is no evidence of God. at all The only indication that God might exist is the existence of the universe, but since there's no evidence for or against God's involvement, it's just as likely that the Big Bang was a spontaneous event. They're both equally inexplicable.​

When I read "natural religion" I think of natural theology and, even taking into account the rejection of direct revelation from God, it seems to me that a deist could recognize value, potentially, in the sacred texts of various traditions, understanding them of course much differently than religionists of those traditions typically do.

Exactly. I'm a deist and valuethe texts for the evidence they contain against the religion which it's claimed they're sacred texts for. They do contain history, much of which has been verified, but every bit of the revelations and supernatural events are complete hearsay, without exception.

Deists might read them as collections of imperfect human wisdom about God, representing the distillation of hundreds and thousands of years of human striving, even if none of it represents an infallible "divine revelation". Deism would have no reason to favor the sacred writings of one tradition over another, but could extract what might be of value from any. After all, human beings and their experiences are also part of the natural world, and presumably contribute to a natural theology.

All the miracles and revelations are fabrications or misinterpretations which are based on a complete lack of any valid evidence.

So my question is, if you identify as a deist, what value do you think there might be in sacred texts of world religious traditions outside of "revelation", but as merely human creations?

All history is of intrinsic value, particularly if it exposes the revelations historic events have been mixed together with. In fact, the last 25 years have contained incredible finds and evidence that may finally expose religions for the shams they are--though it will probably take generations to take hold, with the religions fighting it every inch of the way. Religion, like government, has always been about power.

Father

Devourer of Truth
a21315ff4f1ce0a0bb193dfc8f265e7d.jpg

there is some Historical and Cultural value to the texts. enough so the Catholic church is the leading collector of "Heretical Texts" if the texts were heretical and evil they would have burned them. not give them a mahogany library and historians to look at them. so while i give no magic value to religious texts as neat little stories and histories i value them greatly. and they are fun to read. i like when God burns everything to the ground when he gets mad that the humans are not doing exactly as he wants even though he knows what there going to do.