• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The unquestionable morality of your religious beliefs

The correct understanding and practice of your religious beliefs...

• ...can never produce immoral personal actions or immoral cultural institutions.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • …are the equivalent of your understanding of your religious beliefs.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • ...are the equivalent of your practice of your religious beliefs.

• ...don't exist, but I am nosy-posey

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ppp

Many here express the position that the moral codes and actions prescribed by their respective religious texts are absolutely correct on every single point. Do you hold this position with regards to your religious texts and doctrines. Is there any flexibility on your view of either?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many here express the position that the moral codes and actions prescribed by their respective religious texts are absolutely correct on every single point. Do you hold this position with regards to your religious texts and doctrines. Is there any flexibility on your view of either?

There are two aspects to faith, one is the eternal spiritual truths and one is the changing laws.

Which ones are you wishing to discuss, or both?

Regards Tony

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm not big on prescriptions. Buddhism is not a revealed religion. The offering is that A will cause B and B will be an unskilful outcome. Your choice, pal.

what's nosy-posey? :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

My attitude is that detailed codes and actions are like "training wheels". When maturity dawns, the only rule is the rule of love. As an example, if a poor person out of love steals a bottle of milk to feed someone else's starving child, that is higher morality at work in spite of the prohibition against theft.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
My religious texts are highly variegated and were updated time and again. So I see no need to see in them an objective moral or ethical code, as their authors themselves didn't.

Audie

Veteran Member

Kitchen god keeps a eye on me.
I dont dare do dastardlys

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

My religious texts speak little of moral codes or actions. The intent of my religious texts is to help one understand the nature of one's being, so none of the answers in the poll apply.

Reactions: ppp

syo

In my religion, there is room for everything, good and evil. The evil makes the rituals. :)