• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Unitarian Problem

Redemptionsong

Isaiah 43:11: 'I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.'

Isaiah 45:22 'Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.'

There is one God, and one saviour [everlasting, not temporary], according to scripture.

So, I ask, is Jesus Christ the one saviour, or not?

Luke 2:11: 'For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.'

John 4:41,42: ' And many more believed because of his own word; And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.'

2 Peter 1:11: 'For an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.'

Can you be a Unitarian and a Christian?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Isaiah 45:22 'Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.'

There is one God, and one saviour [everlasting, not temporary], according to scripture.

Luke 2:11: 'For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.'

John 4:41,42: ' And many more believed because of his own word; And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.'

2 Peter 1:11: 'For an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.'

I'm not sure how those verses relate, but I wouldn't think so. If christianity is only about the trinity, no; it would be a contradiction. Though some denominations don't have the trinity, so in those cases, yes.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

You were not clear about which Unitarians you are referring to.

This is not a Unitarian Unitarian Universalists problem, because Unitarians do not accept the Bible including the NT as the literal Word of God. Many Unitarians Universalists consider Jesus a Reformer of corrupt Judaism, and some from a humanist perspective. They consider the scriptures to compiled, edited and redacted later as a Roman religion called Christianity today. Traditional Christianity does not work in Unitarian views, not because they are necessarily wrong, but because of their exclusive beliefs of being right. Actually Unitarian Universalists, include, atheists, deists, agnostics, pagans, and a diverse other beliefs, without demanding we are the 'truth' and everybody else is wrong.

Now the Unitarian Christian Association is a different case, but nonetheless also takes a more diverse liberal approach and do not consider the Bible a literal interpretation of the nature of Jesus and God. Most do not believe in the Trinity.

The Unity Church has similar beliefs as the UCA.

Traditional Christianity has problems with the fact that most of the scripture has poor providence as to history, lack of originals, and unknown authorship.

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

I'm not sure how those verses relate, but I wouldn't think so. If christianity is only about the trinity, no; it would be a contradiction. Though some denominations don't have the trinity, so in those cases, yes.

Surely, if there is only one saviour from sin and death then it must be God. How can one deny that Christ is not from God?

Redemptionsong

This is not a Unitarian Unitarian Universalists problem, because Unitarians do not accept the Bible including the NT as the literal Word of God. Many Unitarians Universalists consider Jesus a Reformer of corrupt Judaism, and some from a humanist perspective. They consider the scriptures to compiled, edited and redacted later as a Roman religion called Christianity today. Traditional Christianity does not work in Unitarian views, not because they are necessarily wrong, but because of their exclusive beliefs of being right. Actually Unitarian Universalists, include, atheists, deists, agnostics, pagans, and a diverse other beliefs, without demanding we are the 'truth' and everybody else is wrong.

Now the Unitarian Christian Association is a different case, but nonetheless also takes a more diverse liberal approach and do not consider the Bible a literal interpretation of the nature of Jesus and God. Most do not believe in the Trinity.

Traditional Christianity has problems with the fact that most of the scripture has poor providence as to history, lack of originals, and unknown authorship.

Well, I strongly disagree with your final paragraph.

My initial question applies to the remainder. Can anyone who claims to be a Unitarian also be a Christian, based on a scriptural definition of what it means to be 'born again' [John 3:3]?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Surely, if there is only one saviour from sin and death then it must be God. How can one deny that Christ is not from God?

Not deny. It doesn't need to be denial just difference. Christ was sent by his father to be his intermediary between the father/god and man. Unitarians, by history, reject the Trinity but these are just differences.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Can a Unitarian God dwell with men on earth?

Far I know unitarians Believe in the same God trinitarians do. They just believe Jesus is a medium not God himself. The history says it rejects the Trinity (that the father is his son) but holds gods love is present in all humans. It puts more emphasis on love, grace, et cetera and less on trinitarians theology. It looks like they recognize Jesus but does not consider him divine "as" his father. What I read in scripture is Jesus is subjected to his father's authority not equal to it so I think that's their line of thinking. All the websites read as bias to promote trinitarians views and belittle Unitarian. But that's my guess.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My initial question applies to the remainder. Can anyone who claims to be a Unitarian also be a Christian, based on a scriptural definition of what it means to be 'born again' [John 3:3]?

I think the difference is being born in Christ as an unitarian would mean to follow Jesus to new with his father. They are born into new selves in Christ. Trinitarians say are born again in God. It's all in how they define medium. Both believe in the kingdom of God. Everything else, I don't know. Only went off what I read.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

All the religions that do not believe as traditional Christians as you do included some churches including Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and some churches as have been mentioned. Your claim as with most religions is anecdotal and subjective and no objective evidence to justify one belief over another.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Disagree as you may, but it is historically factual.

They can be called Christian based on their view of the scriptures. Many churches deny other churches as believing Christians based on their interpretation of the scriptures by quoting different scriptures.

Redemptionsong

Disagree as you may, but it is historically factual.

They can be called Christian based on their view of the scriptures. Many churches deny other churches as believing Christians based on their interpretation of the scriptures by quoting different scriptures.
If you are so sure that the Bible does not have a sound historical basis maybe you could give some examples of where it fails to match the facts!

Hundreds of books have been written attempting to show historical or scientific error, but they have all failed to convince.

Given the length of time that these scriptures have been in existence, you would have thought that some convincing evidence could have been produced, had the scriptures been erroneous!

The challenge is yours. I have no significant issues with the Bible, only with interpretation.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

By definition Unitarians do not believe in the trinity. however most unitarians follow the teachings of Christ.

While some Unitarians are UU many are not and identify as Christian Unitarians.

Unitarians in Ireland are called Non subscribing Presbyterians.
Our Faith

What Does “Non-Subscribing” mean?

It means that we are not bound by compulsory subscription to man-made creeds and doctrines of Faith.
We declare allegiance to the principle that:

• the teaching of Christ must take precedence over the doctrines of a later time, and
  • Christian unity is to be sought, not in the uniformity of creed but in a common standard of duty and adherence to the commandments set out in the Holy Bible.
Our Faith
  • is governed by the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments of the Holy Bible
  • asserts and upholds the right of each and every individual to search these scriptural records for themselves and to use reason and personal conscience to discover God’s Divine Truth
  • removes Human Tests and Confessions of Faith that restrict private judgement and prevent free enquiry
  • upholds the beautiful simplicity of the great commandments as defined by Jesus Christ: “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and all your mind” and “You must love your neighbour as yourself”

Redemptionsong

I think the difference is being born in Christ as an unitarian would mean to follow Jesus to new with his father. They are born into new selves in Christ. Trinitarians say are born again in God. It's all in how they define medium. Both believe in the kingdom of God. Everything else, I don't know. Only went off what I read.

For anyone who believes the scriptures, the challenge is to find consistency and coherence in the message. Some passages are seemingly clear, whereas others are more mystifying.

To believe in one God is a good starting point, and to see that God as the only saviour from sin and death fits with scripture. From this foundation we can assume that whatever means God uses to bring salvation to mankind is from God. If one describes the means of salvation (Christ) as a Saviour, then the means of salvation must be the same as the source of salvation. Why? Because scripture tells us there is only one saviour. If God is saviour, and Christ is saviour (but not God), you have two saviours.

Do Unitarian Christians have two saviours?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
For anyone who believes the scriptures, the challenge is to find consistency and coherence in the message. Some passages are seemingly clear, whereas others are more mystifying.

To believe in one God is a good starting point, and to see that God as the only saviour from sin and death fits with scripture. From this foundation we can assume that whatever means God uses to bring salvation to mankind is from God. If one describes the means of salvation (Christ) as a Saviour, then the means of salvation must be the same as the source of salvation. Why? Because scripture tells us there is only one saviour. If God is saviour, and Christ is saviour (but not God), you have two saviours.

Do Unitarian Christians have two saviours?

They do not necessarily define either god or Jesus as a saviour. but they are free to interpret the scriptures that way.
Read my post #16 above they acknowledge only one God. They are NON Trinitarians.

Redemptionsong

They do not necessarily define either god or Jesus as a saviour. but they are free to interpret the scriptures that way.
Read my post #16 above they acknowledge only one God. They are NON Trinitarians.

How can one not interpret God and Jesus Christ as one saviour, when the scriptures repeat this truth time and time again? [The OP provides just a few examples from the scriptures]