• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Unforgivable Sin Contradiction

Thief

Rogue Theologian
apparently …...the devil.....God's Favored

has not been forgiven

what's up with that?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and God's Favored said....Nay
that they are less than we are
they should be made to serve us

a fight broke out....swords drawn
and one third of heaven lost their positions
for an argument over something that looks like…..us

and we go about....doing unto lesser things as we see fit
even unto each other

to whom?.....do we bear resemblance

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and so what!.....that have not done the thing called sin

if you done so in your mind and heart
you have done so

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven. (Matt. 12:31) All other sins shall be forgiven. (Matt. 12:31)
With blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, it is a done deal. No forgiveness. Judgement.
With all other sins, they can be forgiven. Doesn't mean they will be. That is up to God. Note the example I gave of Moses in post #(35).
Good-Ole-Rebel
I think too we need to focus on the word Judgement because there is both:
- Adverse Judgement and Favorable Judgement.
So, it is an 'un-favorable judgement' for those committing the un-forgivable sin of Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29.
Please notice the figurative humble 'sheep'-like people receive a Favorable Judgement at the time of Matthew 25:31-33,37.
So, we can look forward to Judgement Day at the coming 'time of separating' for genuine ' wheat ' Christians.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So, it is an 'un-favorable judgement' for those committing the un-forgivable sin of Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29.
Please notice the figurative humble 'sheep'-like people receive a Favorable Judgement at the time of Matthew 25:31-33,37.
So, we can look forward to Judgement Day at the coming 'time of separating' for genuine ' wheat ' Christians.
quote me.....

and the Lord shall take your weigh scale
and deal with you as you have dealt with others

Good-Ole-Rebel

Yes, there are other judgements, but we are talking about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as the unforgiveable sin as compared to ones sins not being forgiven if he doesn't forgive others.

Good-Ole-Rebel

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is no salvation offered to satan or the angels that followed him. Thus, no forgiveness......Good-Ole-Rebel
I agree, and also Hebrews 2:14 B lets us know that Jesus will destroy Satan.
Sinner Satan is wicked, and all the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' according to Psalms 92:7

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I agree, and also Hebrews 2:14 B lets us know that Jesus will destroy Satan.
Sinner Satan is wicked, and all the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' according to Psalms 92:7
If Satan repents.....and his spirit heals

would not that spirit be dead?.....forever

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If Satan repents.....and his spirit heals
would not that spirit be dead?.....forever

I think the problem is with the word " if ".
Satan and Adam started out as sinless creation.
In order for their leanings to Not be upright they would have to 'deliberately' do wrong.
So, there would be No repenting, No remorse from Satan as there was none for Adam.
This is why un-repentant sinner Satan will be destroyed by Christ as per Hebrews 2:14 B.

Rise

How many unforgivable sins are there? As we can see, according to Matthew 12:31, there is only one, namely, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But, in Matthew 6:15, we see another unforgivable sin mentioned, namely, the failure to forgive others of their sins, which is clearly different from the unforgivable sin mentioned in Matthew 12:31. This is a clear contradiction. I have never seen a Christian even attempt to explain away these contradictions. They are rarely even discussed, but they are quite obvious:

Matthew 12:31:

And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Matthew 6:15:

But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

So, I'm curious. Christians, how do you attempt to rationalize this biblical contradiction?

Those two verses are not in contradiction. You're talking about two different types of events with different qualities.

Blasphemy is something you could say you actively do and is a sin that cannot be forgiven.

Not forgiving others is something you fail to do and is not said to be a sin that cannot forgiven. The act of unforgiveness can be repented of and then you can receive your forgiveness for your sins.

Unforgiveness is more like a barrier that blocks the reception of your own forgiveness. Based on the principle Jesus talked about which is that as you judge others so will you be judged. Which is not the same as committing a sin which is beyond being forgiven.

There are different interpretations of what Blasphemy actually is. Some say it is believing God is the equivalent of satan or evil. Because if you really believed that you wouldn't want to receive what God has to offer you anyway. We can speculate about what makes that unforgiveable. Some say it's because you position your heart and spirit in a way that makes you unwilling to receive what God has to give you. And since God isn't going to force you to receive His Spirit and Life, there's nothing He can do to forgive you of that sin. If you understand that to be forgiven is the same as to receive God's life, which was lost after the fall of man, then it might be most appropriate to link blasphemy with the individual's rejection of God Himself.

So that's where a substantial quality difference between the two situations is stark. If one is rejecting God and his salvation, that's entirely different from wanting to receive God's salvation but not being willing yet to render the necessary forgiveness unto others so that you can receive your full forgiveness.

It does raise the question of what if someone decides to change their heart to receive God? Well, I would suppose that if their heart is still in a condition where it's open to being changed then they probably haven't committed the sin of blasphemy yet.

I do know that some people reach the point of what is referred to as a reprobate heart, where their salvation is impossible at that point because they've been given over to the satan they want to serve.

Last edited:

Rise

Could not forgiveness for others' sins be the blasphemy against the holy spirit?

No, it couldn't.

And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
If you forgive anyone's sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."
-John 20

Especially if you can identify what blasphemy actually is.

If blasphemy is essentially a rejection of who God is, then logically you are not committing blasphemy when you forgive the sins of others. Because there's no rejection of God involved in doing that. You are, in fact, doing exactly what God commanded you to.

Hawkins

How many unforgivable sins are there? As we can see, according to Matthew 12:31, there is only one, namely, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But, in Matthew 6:15, we see another unforgivable sin mentioned, namely, the failure to forgive others of their sins, which is clearly different from the unforgivable sin mentioned in Matthew 12:31. This is a clear contradiction. I have never seen a Christian even attempt to explain away these contradictions. They are rarely even discussed, but they are quite obvious:

Matthew 12:31:

And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Matthew 6:15:

But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

So, I'm curious. Christians, how do you attempt to rationalize this biblical contradiction?

The HS is working hard towards human salvation. We are saved by a said covenant through which the HS is working according to. "Forgive in order to be forgiven" is just part of this said covenant. So in turn, the biggest blasphemy is to ignore the HS by ignoring His hard works by ignoring the words "you need to forgive in order to be forgiven".

Your blasphemy is fully realized at the point of your death but still choose to be an unbeliever.

74x12

It's simple really. All sins are unforgiven so long as they are on going sins. The moment you finally do forgive; that's the moment you can be forgiven of your own sins. Because unforgiveness of others is itself counted as an ongoing state of sin.

Milton Platt

15“But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions."
There is difference between sin and transgression in this Gnostic text. Sin is ignorance, transgression is a deed. Text is very specific.
I thought sin was any transgression against the god or his commandments. Why would not knowing something (ignorance) be a sin?

Milton Platt

It's simple really. All sins are unforgiven so long as they are on going sins. The moment you finally do forgive; that's the moment you can be forgiven of your own sins. Because unforgiveness of others is itself counted as an ongoing state of sin.

curious statement. That would mean that god is sinning when he does not forgive someone. Or god is forgiving everyone, so hell is an empty place. Or do you special plead for a different morality for god?

74x12

curious statement. That would mean that god is sinning when he does not forgive someone. Or god is forgiving everyone, so hell is an empty place. Or do you special plead for a different morality for god?
Use logic to determine what's wrong/sinful. That's fair. Just look at the parable Jesus told. How evil is it when God forgives someone a debt and yet they go out and find the person who owes them a smaller debt and get them put in prison because they can't offered to pay it? This rightly makes God angry.