• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ultimate Sexual Depravity as Presented in Leviticus 18 Wins Academy Awards

Skwim

Veteran Member
Great spinning cherry picking; as I said, you are the very BEST and doing so.
I've had G R E A T Christians examples from which to learn.

Jesus could have carried the cross for a time and then released it.
Or, maybe they took turns.

"Hey Simon, want to spell me for a bit? My back is killing me."

"Lordy, Lordy, Lordy. I just gave it to you a few minutes ago. Give it to Peter."

"Yeah I'll take it for awhile." Peter takes the cross.

Philip: "Hey! Jesus promised me I could carry it too." Philip takes it off Peter's back and proceeds to carry the cross the last twenty stadiums to Golgotha.

Could have, Would have, Should have, it makes no difference. Ya gotta stick to what's said, not what might have been said or done.

The Amalakite just COULD have been lying trying to get "in" with David. After all, he DID think King David would be so happy.
Yeah, it's really hard to trust what's said in the Bible. Maybe in Matthew 5:31-32 where Jesus says

31 “It has also been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife is to give her a certificate of divorce’; 32 but I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on grounds of sexual immorality, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who has been divorced commits adultery.
he was just kidding, because, c'mon, why would being divorced automatically cause a woman to commit adultery? It wouldn't. Jesus was being a silly.

Last edited:

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Probably...

People get worked up too when prayer is given during a City Hall meeting.

Crazy.
Sure, but nobody is forcing you to watch this movie. A prayer in a publicly funded place would be forcing atheists (or people of a different faith) who are present to participate. See the difference? Or too complicated?

dianaiad

Well, that must have been a great disappointment and utter waste of time. The problem, you see....

Is so did I. At least, about a half hour of them. I kept wanting to say to all the presenters/recipients 'SHUT UP AND SING ALREADY!" Or 'shut up and act,' or 'shut up and perform..."

What IS it about people who can memorize lines and recite them more or less believably that makes them think they are great statesmen and moralists?

What they ARE is....fad followers and idiots, the most of 'em.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well, that must have been a great disappointment and utter waste of time. The problem, you see....

Is so did I. At least, about a half hour of them. I kept wanting to say to all the presenters/recipients 'SHUT UP AND SING ALREADY!" Or 'shut up and act,' or 'shut up and perform..."

What IS it about people who can memorize lines and recite them more or less believably that makes them think they are great statesmen and moralists?

Are you suggesting they should care what anyone outside their circle of movie associates thinks of what they do or don't do? If I was one of them I certainly wouldn't.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

I think they have the right to their opinions.

dianaiad

Are you suggesting they should care what anyone outside their circle of movie associates thinks of what they do or don't do? If I was one of them I certainly wouldn't.

The problem isn't whether they should care. The problem is that most of them think that BECAUSE they are famous, WE should care.

dianaiad

I think they have the right to their opinions.

Absolutely.

they don't have a right to ours, however....and my own opinion is that awards ceremonies for the purpose of honoring good movies, good music and good performances is NOT the place to 'bully pulpit' political opinions.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Absolutely.

they don't have a right to ours, however....and my own opinion is that awards ceremonies for the purpose of honoring good movies, good music and good performances is NOT the place to 'bully pulpit' political opinions.
Doesn't bother me. Art isn't separate from the socio-political.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

"Earlier this year, extremist anti-LGBTQ pastor Kevin Swanson voiced his disgust over the existence of the film “The Shape Of Water,” fuming that it represented “the end of civilization as we know it” because it promoted “cross-species mating” in direct defiance of the Bible.

Now that the film has won Oscars for best picture and best director, Swanson has returned to warn that God may destroy America because of it.

“The Academy Award ceremonies this week provided the best film and best director Oscar to a violation of the worst possible sexual sin mentioned in Leviticus chapter 18,” Swanson said on his radio program today. “Maybe I’ll just leave it there, I don’t want to defile the ears of my listeners. But this was another milestone in the moral degradation of Hollywood and the nation itself. What it did was it presented the ultimate sexual depravity—and, again, I don’t want anyone thinking what this is—but
the ultimate sexual depravity as presented in Leviticus 18 is presented in this movie as a tender and romantic and a beautiful thing. Even saying that is just disgusting.”

Swanson proceeded to read a passage from Leviticus 18 in which God warned the Israelites that they would be destroyed if they dared to engage in such depravity.

“God says, ‘Be careful, I might just bring this to you if you violate my law to the level of egregiousness contained in the moral commands in Leviticus 18,'” Swanson declared. “It’s these abominable practices that are being committed in this nation today and glorified at the highest echelons of the nation.”
source

FYI (I assume the sin he's referring to is in verse 23, where it refers to lying with a beast.)

Leviticus 18 (ASV)
18 And Jehovah spake unto Moses, saying, 2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am Jehovah your God. 3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do; neither shall ye walk in their statutes. 4 Mine ordinances shall ye do, and my statutes shall ye keep, to walk therein: I am Jehovah your God. 5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and mine ordinances; which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am Jehovah.

6 None of you shall approach to any that are near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am Jehovah. 7 The nakedness of thy father, even the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness. 8 The nakedness of thy father’s wife shalt thou not uncover; it is thy father’s nakedness. 9 The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or the daughter of thy mother, whether born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover. 10 The nakedness of thy son’s daughter, or of thy daughter’s daughter, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own nakedness. 11 The nakedness of thy father’s wife’s daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her nakedness. 12 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father’s sister: she is thy father’s near kinswoman. 13 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother’s sister: for she is thy mother’s near kinswoman. 14 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father’s brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt. 15 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter-in-law: she is thy son’s wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness. 16 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother’s wife: it is thy brother’s nakedness. 17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter; thou shalt not take her son’s daughter, or her daughter’s daughter, to uncover her nakedness; they are near kinswomen: it is wickedness. 18 And thou shalt not take a wife to her sister, to be a rival to her, to uncover her nakedness, besides the other in her life-time.
19 And thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is impure by her uncleanness. 20 And thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbor’s wife, to defile thyself with her. 21 And thou shalt not give any of thy seed to make them pass through the fire to Molech; neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am Jehovah. 22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. 23 And thou shalt not lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith; neither shall any woman stand before a beast, to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out from before you; 25 and the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land vomiteth out her inhabitants. 26 Ye therefore shall keep my statutes and mine ordinances, and shall not do any of these abominations; neither the home-born, nor the stranger that sojourneth among you 27 (for all these abominations have the men of the land done, that were before you, and the land is defiled); 28 that the land vomit not you out also, when ye defile it, as it vomited out the nation that was before you. 29 For whosoever shall do any of these abominations, even the souls that do them shall be cut off from among their people. 30 Therefore shall ye keep my charge, that ye practise not any of these abominable customs, which were practised before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am Jehovah your God.

So, is Swanson on target here or screwy as hell?
The worst possible sexual depravity is pedophilia, though many religions support it. And intra-species sexual contact with a fully-self aware adult of another species who can willingly consent or decline, isn't even evil in my never to be humble opinion. Why should it be?

That said, the movie was stupid anyway.