• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ultimate Debate of Mankind: Mac vs PC

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The ironic thing about Macs these days is that, from what I understand, they're not friendly for tinkerers, despite the fact that that's what made the Apple II so popular and put the company on the map.

Out of the box, PCs are vastly inferior to macs. However, PCs are far more customizable, making them popular for tinkerers. A good hacker can make an amazing supercomputer out of a PC that wouldn't be possible on a mac.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Out of the box, PCs are vastly inferior to macs.
This is a common misconception. Most people default to comparing a common apple computer, like a Mac Book Pro, to a common PC laptop. The problem is, the mac book costs several times more than the laptop. To compare apples to apples you need to look at PCs that are in comparable price ranges. Once you do that, the differences in hardware and quality quickly disappear.

dust1n

Zindīq
If one is throwing down the money, a PC will be less expensive, even with added parts and customizations. And of course, running most of the software requires one to have windows installed on the PC as well, which means who need two OS's anyways. And more hardware works much easier, if at all, with hardware not available through Apple. And it's easier in some regards, but mainly if you aren't already computer literate. If you are already computer literate on a PC than the ease of a Mac isn't going to mean much to you. OS's can be ditched and replaced.

Of course, it comes down to why you have a computer and what you want to use it for. Apple can be somewhat advantageous in some areas of audio and video production. If you play video games, than there is basically no reason for you to ever by games. If you are just using a computer mildly for simply stuff, you should being a PC anyways, because there is no reason to pay more for hardware with the same capabilities.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, as far as gaming goes, Mac and Linux are finally getting some love, with Steam and GOG porting many of their titles on the two systems.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I've always used a PC because of business software and such. The thing is, I'm retired now and may decide to buy an Apple computer in the future. I love my ipod and iphone. I'm sure I would like anything else they make.

ScottySatan

The answer used to be Mac. Several years ago, if you matched spec for spec, a mac was not all that different in price from a pc if you got a pc of comparable build quality.

Today, mac is moving further and further away from computers. There are far fewer options available at the apple store than there used to be. They don't make computers as relatively powerful as they used to. There's no externally removable battery on laptops anymore.

Macs are a bit better for work they network easier and connect to things like projectors better. Macs significantly outnumber pcs in US biology labs, but I think that's going to change. They're going to have to go with something like alienware if mac continues giving less and less of a damn about their computers.

I really like mac OS. Our answer was a "Hackintosh". Computers are very modular now. Buy your own computer parts, put them together, buy mac os on a disk. it worked. Computers are modular now and it's easy to put them together without really knowing how. I heard from an unreliable source that hackintoshes are actually illegal.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The first ever forum I was on in 1987, thought a boullentin board (a dial-up BBS as it was called then) was in a discussion about Mac vs PC. I tried to bring reasonable arguments for both sides but was quickly shut down in flames. It was a flame war. People trolling before the word trolling was even invented. It deterred me from engaging in any online debate for 13 years.

I think my life is complete now. The circle has been closed.

LOL!

Which OS do I use? Both.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
WHAT IS SO MUCH BETTER ABOUT PC'S?
Compatibility, and that is pretty much it. They don't last as long, they're more prone to problems, more susceptible to viruses, more security problems, and really aren't that good.
The best OS is, hands down, no questions, no doubts, no contest, is Linux. It's free, more safe and secure than Mac and PC, very highly customizable, and because it's open source there are many options to choose from and you can find one that perfectly suits your needs (compatibility may-or-may-not be an issue).

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm a PC user simply because I'm a video gamer. I believe A Mac would never be as good as a PC in this field.

Wait, Mac is a PC too :p

No really, it should be called IBM compatible, not PC. But I understand, who would waste their time typing that!

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I am a windows girl. Grown up on windows pretty much and I love it. The only thing that would make me look at buying a mac is if I was a pro digital artist, as I believe macs are superior in that regard. Games, not so much. I need my games dammit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My nephew has a Chrome book. It is so beyond terrible that because he and my niece often ask for homework help I told them not to be surprised if it suddenly happens to change to Linux so it goes from barely usable (it is so backwards and crappy that it doesn't even have a right-click function on the mouse pad) to awesome.

riya

Hello all,
Both Mac and PC shares equal pros and cons. PCs are less expensive, easy to upgrade and a good option for gaming and all kinds of stuff. Whereas, Macs are user-friendly and low risk of any virus or malware.