• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tyrannical idea of "hate speech"

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Would that correct? I was giving you the opportunity to show that you were not lying in your dubious claims.
Maybe you've always lived in a super liberal place. Maybe gay slurs don't apply to you and you didn't notice.
But I don't see what is dubious about @Evangelicalhumanist memory of such things. It was pretty dreadful for most of my adult life, particularly when AIDS hit.
Tom

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Would that correct? I was giving you the opportunity to show that you were not lying in your dubious claims.
There, now -- I can see smiling, happy at last. You are victorious and I am an evil liar -- one that will never respond to you again, because you have a strong desire to make people feel exactly like that.

For the record, I told you why I'm not going through my archives, which you ignored, probably just for the very purpose of "exposing" me. Trust me, I have them -- and will never share another word with you. You want too much to be the winner.

You win -- and lose.

Nous

Premium Member
Maybe you've always lived in a super liberal place. Maybe gay slurs don't apply to you and you didn't notice.
The claim that newspapers called gay people "perverts" and "abominations" as recently as the 1990s has nothing to do with me. I just asked you guys to substantiate your claims because they do not sound true to me. I don't recall ever reading a newspapers where the author referred to gay people by those terms.

Nous

Premium Member
There, now -- I can see smiling, happy at last. You are victorious and I am an evil liar -- one that will never respond to you again, because you have a strong desire to make people feel exactly like that.

For the record, I told you why I'm not going through my archives, which you ignored, probably just for the very purpose of "exposing" me. Trust me, I have them -- and will never share another word with you. You want too much to be the winner.

You win -- and lose.
I don't have a habit of believing the claims of self-admitted liars, especially when their claims are highly suspect, something I haven't heard of. If you need someone to believe you, you will have to get it from someone else.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have a habit of believing the claims of self-admitted liars, especially when their claims are highly suspect, something I haven't heard of. If you need someone to believe you, you will have to get it from someone else.

After reading this exchange, I'm a bit confused as to what the actual disagreement is. There was, and still is, quite a few people badmouthing gays and saying nasty things about them. I remember it being even worse when I was younger, and I'm not even gay.

As for the specific claim of whether there were newspaper articles from the 1990s which labeled gays as "perverts" or "abominations," I will say that I don't recall any specific cases of such, at least not from mainstream newspapers. However, when I was renting a house from a Southern Baptist preacher around the early 1990s, I somehow wound up on his mailing list and received his regular newsletter. This was back when gays in the military was a significant topic for debate, and he did use some rather harsh language - although I'll admit I didn't save the newsletters, so I can't really prove it to you.

As for whether it constitutes "hate speech" - that's a judgment call, which is what makes regulating hate speech all the more problematic.

Nous

Premium Member
After reading this exchange, I'm a bit confused as to what the actual disagreement is. There was, and still is, quite a few people badmouthing gays and saying nasty things about them. I remember it being even worse when I was younger, and I'm not even gay.

As for the specific claim of whether there were newspaper articles from the 1990s which labeled gays as "perverts" or "abominations," I will say that I don't recall any specific cases of such, at least not from mainstream newspapers.
Neither do I remember any such slurs against LGBT people printed in ordinary newspapers in the 1990s. As I said, I just don't read newspapers, but I am certain that if any such slurs had been promoted in a newspaper in 1990s, someone would have pointed it out to me. And if @Evangelicalhumanist 's claims are true, there is no reason for him not to cite it--at least when he gets time to find the article in his scrapbook.

However, when I was renting a house from a Southern Baptist preacher around the early 1990s, I somehow wound up on his mailing list and received his regular newsletter. This was back when gays in the military was a significant topic for debate, and he did use some rather harsh language - although I'll admit I didn't save the newsletters, so I can't really prove it to you.

As for whether it constitutes "hate speech" - that's a judgment call, which is what makes regulating hate speech all the more problematic.
What you are referring sounds like a private newletter, not something disseminated to the public.