• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Typhonian Order

DanielR

Does the TO belong to Thelema?? I think wikipedia says kinda yes, but I really never trust Wiki.

Seems like I'm back at square one :rolleyes::p.

Plus can I use this thread to discuss the Typhonian Order?

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Yes the Typhonian Order certainly has its roots in Thelema, and this is an appropriate place to discuss it.

My knowledge of the work/practises of the Typhonians is somewhat limited. As I know it they originate from the life work of Kenneth Grant who was a favourite student of Crowley'S and his intended heir to the "throne" of the OTO.

Grant however sort of went of on his own tangent a little, getting really into the works of HP Lovecraft, and his brand of OTO started to not look much like the OTO Crowley intended.

In recent years there was a great legal battle between the "so called" Caliphate OTO and the Typhonians over the use of the letters and name Ordo Templis Orientis.
What was then called the Caliphate won the battle (rightly so in my opinion :p) so now those practising under the Typhonian system had to re-name themselves the Typhonian Order.

Those I've met from the TO are very respectable, mainly academic occultists that reside in London. They have a great fondness for Kenneth Grants work - which I understand to be an excellent treatise/interpretation of Thelemic principles.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Does the TO belong to Thelema?? I think wikipedia says kinda yes, but I really never trust Wiki.

Seems like I'm back at square one :rolleyes::p.

Plus can I use this thread to discuss the Typhonian Order?

93 How come "back to square one"!? Where have you been? Can I help at all? :)

93,93/93

DanielR

93 How come "back to square one"!? Where have you been? Can I help at all? :)

93,93/93

Okay, I got very interested in Qabalah/Typhonia/Thelema/Lovecraft then I kind of backpedaled and went back to Advaita (Hinduism) :p. But I miss Qabalah!! haha

Thanks for answering! Do you know if Typhonites believe in True Will and the HGA as well?? I ordered now some books by Grant finally since they are so difficult to obtain where I live, I'm kind of fearing of not being able to understand them, apparently he is very difficult to understand :/.

Right now I'm preparing with reading a bit of Thelema especially (Living Thelema) by David Shoemaker and Milo DuQuettes book, very good readings these books are!!

Thanks for answering!! I aprreciate it :p

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I WISH I had bothered to read all of Kenneth Grants books when I lived with my ex-boyfriend - he had them all!! But I never got round to it! Now like you I have trouble finding copies as they are so expensive.

I can't imagine why the Typhonians *wouldnt* believe in True Will. They'd have to have strayed a long way not to. I would imagine they make use a (variety) of metaphors for what Crowley called the HGA, but I can't say with any authority.

It's really unfortunate that there is no OTO in Vienna so you could meet some Thelemites in person!

Lon Milo DuQuette is amazing, I've met him - really awesome guy, likewise Brother Shoemaker. Both fine pioneers of Thelema and both members of USGL of OTO.
If you are interested in AA however I would advise applying via the address on the USGL OTO website, and not through Shoemaker.

DanielR

Lon Milo DuQuette's book Chicken Qabalah is amazing, why didn't I buy this book earlier? Very cool that you got to meet him. :eek:

There really is nothing in Vienna lol. Though I'm more of a loner personality anyways :p.

And yes Kenneth Grant's books are so hard to find, wow, and yes they are quite expensive as well (hopefully worth it), I couldn't find them all, can't wait to read them :D

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
It is really not an issues posting about TO here - its a Thelemically founded organisation.
Thelema is a mixture of Eastern and Western esotericisim as is TO

Feel free to speak freely about anything to do with the Typhonians in this DIR :)

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
I'm not a Typhonian but I love Kenneth Grants book a great deal. His books take a lot of work interpreting (cause he's often not even talking about what he seems to be talking about)

One of the big ideas (besides the Mauve Zone) that I appreciate a lot from him (despite not agreeing entirely in his context) is that many sacred texts (scriptures) come from the same place essentially, the aether of sorts.
For Grant himself, it included Liber AL Vel Legis, Book Of Dzyan, the (fiction and non-existent) Necronomicon, Book of Babylon, Liber Pennae Praenumbra and his own received texts Wisdom of S'lba and Liber Okbish.

Speaking of Pennae Praenumbra, the Ma'at current also is alluring but I don't personally find it to be all that genuine.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder

Typhonian-ism and Maat magick, are both conjoined subsets of modern Thelema (which in itself is a subset of the hermetic magick tradition, lol).

I can't say much for Maat (it's ideas outside of Typhonian-ism), but the Typhonian Order, is largely about exploring the subconscious (to extremes way further/deeper than Crowley with his 30 Enochian Ethyr visions)

The Mauve Zone is the plane of existence between the conscious and the subconscious (reality and dream).
While Crowley tried rituals to bring his mind between exhaustion and the euphoria of orgasm, he didn't explore it in the depth Kenneth Grant did.

Essentially, the Typhonian Order focuses on this, the collective Aether (with all the sacred texts), kabbalah and sort of the blurring between reality and imagination. This is also why Grant decided to write about Lovecraft with such conviction in his books.

Another aspect of what I just mentioned, is a similar idea in Kabbalah itself, to do with exhausting the connections between all things till a kind of "mental breakdown" - which results in a very strong fulfilled feeling of enlightenment.

Kenneth Grant explored some great ideas, his books can read in several ways but they are partly supposed to put you in a daze. I guess, the more you understand, the more your subconscious reacts.

In Chaos Magick, this blurring is sort of taken to it's inevitable conclusion with less intellectual complexity.

Last edited: