• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The types of rape

Ellen Brown

When I was young, just yonks ago, if one got raped, mostly the victim was blamed. Perhaps most common is where a male forces himself on a female. I wonder if a male being raped was so "repulsive and undignified" as to be "That which is not spoken of"?

I have my own opinion on the matter, and have formed them based upon my own experience.

So, what is it about rape that makes it so heinous? Is it more damaging than being just beat up?

Very often the consequence of male/female rape is pregnancy. In a great deal of the world, especially the Islamic one, the woman is expected to marry her rapist, and bear his child. At present, in much of the "first" world, women can get an abortion if she wishes,

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I was young, just yonks ago, if one got raped, mostly the victim was blamed. Perhaps most common is where a male forces himself on a female. I wonder if a male being raped was so "repulsive and undignified" as to be "That which is not spoken of"?

I have my own opinion on the matter, and have formed them based upon my own experience.

So, what is it about rape that makes it so heinous? Is it more damaging than being just beat up?

Very often the consequence of male/female rape is pregnancy. In a great deal of the world, especially the Islamic one, the woman is expected to marry her rapist, and bear his child. At present, in much of the "first" world, women can get an abortion if she wishes,

My own emotionality about the matter is that if I survived another one, I'd likely kill him by shooting him where he'd bleed to death very rapidly.
I was wondering about the range & nature of assaults too.
I have nothing to contribute yet but encouragement to
explore the topic.
(Do I hear sighs of relief out there?)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Clearly to me it's more. But you are asking a very deep question.

For those that have a religious belief, the consequences to the rapist are seriously more severe and depend on the specific theology.

But thinking about it some more, I'd say the root of the severity is intimacy. Sex is nothing if not intimate. There's an inborn sense is many/most that sex is more central to a person than shaking hands.

Certainly the biological urge to sex is seriously different than the urge to shake hands with someone you just met. (for most to avoid a "but").

I think someone could take this and develop it further.

Ellen Brown

Clearly to me it's more. But you are asking a very deep question.

For those that have a religious belief, the consequences to the rapist are seriously more severe and depend on the specific theology.

But thinking about it some more, I'd say the root of the severity is intimacy. Sex is nothing if not intimate. There's an inborn sense is many/most that sex is more central to a person than shaking hands.

Certainly the biological urge to sex is seriously different than the urge to shake hands with someone you just met. (for most to avoid a "but").

I think someone could take this and develop it further.

Thank you. I have my own very strong feelings about the matter. It felt as if I were made to have no value, losing all dignity. It was somehow different to me than the many beatings and being called an idiot that was a part of daily life. No this was different. Mercifully my own memory of the incident is very sketchy, and inexplicably, I sometimes wonder what sort of life they had? We were all in our early teens, nearly a lifetime ago.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

My own emotionality about the matter is that if I survived another one, I'd likely kill him by shooting him where he'd bleed to death very rapidly.

It is IMO about power. The victim feels powerless. The ultimate insult to have no power o control over what happens to your body. There is a psychological need to regain the power that was lost. We have a justice system to "restore" the balance of power.

When the justice system fails, there is no way to recover the power that was taken from you. You forever remain powerless. I suspect there is a great fear of becoming powerless again. Your desire to shoot/kill someone is a desire to regain the power that was taken from you.

My mother was raped, my father was a serial rapist. His punishment was he was forced to marry one of the women he raped. Not my mom. I was never close with my mom. As I grew older I imagined she saw more and more of my father in me.

She lives alone, drinks and smokes. Doesn't really want to see any of her kids. My step-father also forced himself on her. put her in the hospital once. When she finally got the courage to get a divorce, he took all the money from selling the house and spent it, left her with nothing.

It's hard enough for women to deal with this, I can't imagine having to deal with this kind of behavior from men who used religion to justify it.

I never ask anything from my wife. What she chooses to do is done of her own accord. Never tell her what to decide, even though I often disagree with those decisions. Wash my own clothes, cook my own food, clean up my own mess. I can't change what happened to my mother but I can choose to not be my father.

Ellen Brown

It is IMO about power. The victim feels powerless. The ultimate insult to have no power o control over what happens to your body. There is a psychological need to regain the power that was lost. We have a justice system to "restore" the balance of power.

When the justice system fails, there is no way to recover the power that was taken from you. You forever remain powerless. I suspect there is a great fear of becoming powerless again. Your desire to shoot/kill someone is a desire to regain the power that was taken from you.

My mother was raped, my father was a serial rapist. His punishment was he was forced to marry one of the women he raped. Not my mom. I was never close with my mom. As I grew older I imagined she saw more and more of my father in me.

She lives alone, drinks and smokes. Doesn't really want to see any of her kids. My step-father also forced himself on her. put her in the hospital once. When she finally got the courage to get a divorce, he took all the money from selling the house and spent it, left her with nothing.

It's hard enough for women to deal with this, I can't imagine having to deal with this kind of behavior from men who used religion to justify it.

I never ask anything from my wife. What she chooses to do is done of her own accord. Never tell her what to decide, even though I often disagree with those decisions. Wash my own clothes, cook my own food, clean up my own mess. I can't change what happened to my mother but I can choose to not be my father.

I can't fault your lifestyle, not at all. I suppose the important part is the relationship you and your wife have. If she and you are pleased, whose business is it? American and Hispanic culture generally have closer ties than that. Though I was born in America, I am English and European with a dose of the Middle East. My "people" were uber religious dust bowl migrants from Oklahoma. I think that some of those old time religions were more destructive than no religion at all.

I'm most comfortable with very moderate Islam, though got a nasty taste of the Hanafis for a while. Silly me, I thought I could fix them. Silly me, the woman's lament.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rape is generally considered the most immoral crime because no realistic motive can justify it.

Whereas from time to time we can and do support killing or attacking.
Worse than murder or torture?
Neither is justifiable, & the former offers no chance to recover.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

I believe a lot of the baggage around rape comes from the possibility of an unwanted, out of wedlock pregnancy, which at the time a lot of our moral framework was laid down, was pretty much the worst possible thing that could happen, yes, even beyond violence and death, in many cases.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is IMO about power.
That is true some times, but not others.
Imagine randy couples where both are drunk.
Ability to give consent is questionable, & could be rape of one by the others.
If one is under age, giving consent has no legal value, & is rape.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That is true some times, but not others.
Imagine randy couples where both are drunk.
Ability to give consent is questionable, & could be rape of one by the others.
If one is under age, giving consent has no legal value, & is rape.
Well...Ellen has a point. why do men rape?
As I am not a heterosexual man, my mind is not able to understand this. Wouldn't it be more logical to get a girlfriend and then have sex with her?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Well...Ellen has a point. why do men rape?
As I am not a heterosexual man, my mind is not able to understand this. Wouldn't it be more logical to get a girlfriend and then have sex with her?
I remember reading an article that asked young men in areas where gang rape is rampant "Why do you do it?"

The overwhelming response was, "Because it is fun."

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Another surprising thing that comes up when you ask rapists about their rapes: most are unrepentant about it.

Shad

Veteran Member

It is a long lasting form of torture (effect) using sex as the tool, sexual orientation defining targets and gratification as the goal. It is dehumanizing. Getting beat up does not carry such malicious in all cases. Someone could get beat up due to self-defense or defense of another. There is no defensive reason to rape someone.

*I take beat up as in minor assault without a weapon nor long lasting injuries due to your use of "just".*

ajay0

In lustful rape or paedophilia, the victim is seen as mere matter and the life or spirit in her or him is not honored. It is this dishonoring of the life within for selfish pleasure by the rapist that is seen as appalling in rape.

All other crimes emerging from greed, hatred, selfishness also arise from this inability to revere and honor the life in the other person.

Nurturing a culture of sensitivity in children to the other person's feelings by capable educators can perhaps help stem the present culture of crime and conflict. Better interaction with animals, as George Gurdjieff put it, can also help bring about such a culture of sensitivity and reverence for life.

“Practice love on animals first; they react better and more sensitively.” ― G.I. Gurdjieff

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I can't fault your lifestyle, not at all. I suppose the important part is the relationship you and your wife have. If she and you are pleased, whose business is it? American and Hispanic culture generally have closer ties than that. Though I was born in America, I am English and European with a dose of the Middle East. My "people" were uber religious dust bowl migrants from Oklahoma. I think that some of those old time religions were more destructive than no religion at all.

I'm most comfortable with very moderate Islam, though got a nasty taste of the Hanafis for a while. Silly me, I thought I could fix them. Silly me, the woman's lament.

I went through a phase where I thought I could fix other folks too. I was certain anyone could be persuaded by a reasonable argument.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I'd say it was multiple times more heinous than merely being beaten up. From what I can gather from friends of mine who've been raped, it is intensely humiliating, and can easily lead to issues -- such as low self-esteem and intimacy issues -- that last years and even decades. Merely being beaten up does not tend to have those kinds of consequences.