• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The two buttons

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Sure, if they had malicious intention in sending them to jail as opposed to making human error which is more likely given the prosecutor has to make their case before a judge and jury.

What if no one had any malicious intent? What should be the consequence?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If nothing else, this thread does thoroughly demonstrate just how subjective the word "justice" is....

Yep. That goes for any and every virtue and vice.
Although I don't think that is the actual crux of the issue. The problem is that some people consider justice extremely important even by itself, rather than as a mean to an end, while others don't.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Such as...?
Such as when it's just? When (a person believes that) it's the right thing to do.

Edit: Some people believe that we each -- each -- have responsiblity for any of our thoughts and actions. Just because someone else does something, it does not engender, require, or demand a similar, parallel, or equivalent action. Whatever response we have is on us, not on the other.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Such as when it's just? When (a person believes that) it's the right thing to do.

I am afraid I would never see that as justice. I can't relate.

Edit: Some people believe that we each -- each -- have responsiblity for any of our thoughts and actions. Just because someone else does something, it does not engender, require, or demand a similar, parallel, or equivalent action. Whatever response we have is on us, not on the other.

It only demands an equivalent action if restitution is not made and if we seek justice to be actualized.

Bird123

For the sake of this topic, you have been granted a joystick with two buttons, the triangle button and the square button. Now here is how it works:

You can press only one button. And not more than once.

If you press the triangle button, the most evil criminal in the world, in your perspective, dies. Right away.

If you press the square button, the most evil criminal in the world, in your perspective, gets a complete change of mind. This person will never again commit any evil action and shall not be further punished for any of the past crimes.

What button would you press and why?

Here is my, most certainly, unpopular opinion: I would quickly press the triangle button. I will take justice over recovery any and every time.

Here is my perspective on justice:

When it is possible to repair the damage caused, justice is better served by doing so.

When it is not possible to repair the damage caused, justice is better served by punishing the perpetrator. Plus, there must be proportionality between the crime and the punishment.

I have to pick the square button. What is more important payback or fixing the child. Fixing the child must always come first if one is at a Higher Level.

As far as the triangle button, I would never pick it even if there were no other choice. Why? Killing might sweep the problem under the rug until the next criminal shows up, but it will never solve the problem. If one solves the problem, the problem goes away forever.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I have to pick the square button. What is more important payback or fixing the child. Fixing the child must always come first if one is at a Higher Level.

I would say neither. I would pick justice.

As far as the triangle button, I would never pick it even if there were no other choice. Why? Killing might sweep the problem under the rug until the next criminal shows up, but it will never solve the problem. If one solves the problem, the problem goes away forever.

What problem?

Bird123

I would say neither. I would pick justice.

What problem?

your quote:I would say neither. I would pick justice.
My Answer: Do you really pick revenge or punishment over Life??

Your quote:What problem?
My Answer: Do you not see crime as a problem??

Koldo

Outstanding Member
your quote:I would say neither. I would pick justice.
My Answer: Do you really pick revenge or punishment over Life??

I would always pick justice over life.

Your quote:What problem?
My Answer: Do you not see crime as a problem??

Yes, but I don't get it. How does making someone have a change of mind prevent others from committing other crimes?

Bird123

I would always pick justice over life.

Yes, but I don't get it. How does making someone have a change of mind prevent others from committing other crimes?

Would you commit a crime?? Why not?? You have already learned that crime will not bring the best results, therefore it is not the best choice. When one understands all sides, intelligence will make the best choices.

As far as justice over life, there is much yet for you to Discover.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Would you commit a crime?? Why not?? You have already learned that crime will not bring the best results, therefore it is not the best choice. When one understands all sides, intelligence will make the best choices.

I still don't get how killing the criminal results in more crimes than forcing him into a change of mind.

As far as justice over life, there is much yet for you to Discover.

I can say the same to you. I truly hope you don't discover it the hard way.