• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Truth

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
Understanding the meaning of the scriptures has to be taken in light of historical context and in respect to original meanings of the words in the languages the scriptures were written in is paramount in helping us understand what is true in a historical context.

Once we get this we will understand why the Bible SHOULDN'T be interpreted literally.

Earthling

David Henson
Understanding the meaning of the scriptures has to be taken in light of historical context and in respect to original meanings of the words in the languages the scriptures were written in is paramount in helping us understand what is true in a historical context.

Once we get this we will understand why the Bible SHOULDN'T be interpreted literally.

When you get it you let me know so we can talk about it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

so.....we should all go back to college?.....demanding the old language be taught
and we should be functional ....literally.....
as if our current native tongues are dysfunctional

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

How do you feel a layman with no original scriptural knowledge (native knowledge not academic) should approach scripture?

People see it literal because they feel their belief is watered down if it isnt concrete real to them. Not their fault, really. I dont understand how can you apply concepts to an ara and origin completely contrary to the land it colonized.

Trackdayguy

so.....we should all go back to college?.....demanding the old language be taught
and we should be functional ....literally.....
as if our current native tongues are dysfunctional

I'm unsure what your reading, but that's not what I said.

Trackdayguy

How do you feel a layman with no original scriptural knowledge (native knowledge not academic) should approach scripture?

People see it literal because they feel their belief is watered down if it isnt concrete real to them. Not their fault, really. I dont understand how can you apply concepts to an ara and origin completely contrary to the land it colonized.

Its not academic ability that's needed, its the ability to read something in light of its context. That becomes very difficult for people who have been incorrectly taught that the Bible is the 'word of God" Biblical literalism is a deception, and in the end causes people to have their faith in the meaning of words that are taken out of context and in many cases have different meanings. Look for example at the word, Fornication. Today the word is used as "sexual intercourse" between 2 people who are not married. The correct meaning of the word can only be understood if we understand what that word meant during the period of time it was written. 'The Biblical definition of the word "Fornication" means to have sex with a "Temple Prostitute"

If you and I understand a certain word means something and it may do in our culture and we look back at historical documents and overlay the understanding we have of that word over the passage we are reading we will come away with a wrong understanding of what is being said.

So when Paul says in 1 Corinthians 5:1 ......that there is fornication amongst you he isn't referring to men having sex, he is talking about men have sex with a temple prostitute. So people come away with a completely false picture of what was being said and WHY. As I said Biblical literalism is a heresy. A good book on the subject is "Biblical Literalism" A gentile Hersey" by John Shelby Spong.

Another example is the word "Adultery" Commonly understood to mean sex with another person who is not your legal partner, That's the modern day understanding.

Abraham has sex with Tamar & King David had sex with Bathsheba, who committed adultery? David, because he took what wasn't his, Abraham on the other hand had his wife's permission, so adultery has to do with permission. NOT sex.

Last edited: