• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Truth Will Set You Free (AA group on retreat)

Mark Dohle

mandoorway.jpg

The Truth Will Set You Free (AA group on retreat)

What has been America's most nurturing contribution to the culture of this planet so far?
Many would say jazz. I, who love jazz, will say this instead: Alcoholics Anonymous.-Kurt Vonnegut

When I was a young man, I spent some time reading through the works of Kurt Vonnegut. I can’t say I am a fan of his, nor did I like his writing style. However, in his works, which in my opinion, could not be called optimistic in any sense of the word, or even humanistic, yet, there was a great deal of compassion for the human situation that always shone through. I guess that is why I keep reading his novels, and some essays.

I also understand his comment on AA, and why he thought the way he did. There are many critics of AA. However, from my relationships with the men and women who live the program, you could not find a more humble, loving, accepting people.

Why?

They have done what is very difficult to do, they faced themselves, took stock, accepted responsibility, did the steps, and have come out not perfect, but transformed. This takes a hefty dose of ‘love of self’, which opens up the heart to loving and accepting others.

Guilt has a bad rap today. Yes, neurotic guilt is a waste of time, but quilt that comes from ‘truth’, can energize the guilty party to make amends if possible, or if not, still to change behaviors that cause harm to oneself, and others. The 12 steps help do that. To try to live the program takes courage and commitment, as well as not fearing pain, struggle, and the setbacks that are the normal road to healing.

Trust in their ‘Higher Power’ is essential for many who walk this path. Here in the monastery, we have three AA groups who come here. Each is unique in how they do their retreats, but they have the same basic philosophy of life. We as a monastic community are honored to have them come here for their annual get-together. Many have been with their group for decades, and some have been sober for up to 50 years (or even more).

As in any group, there are all types who go to meetings. I tell those who plan on trying out AA, to watch what is going on, and try to find the core group and stick with them. There are some who go in and out on a regular basis, and hopefully over time will move to the core group. Some are on their way out but hopefully will come back. Others, like any normal group, are not sure what they want. Yet, all are accepted, and when anyone comes forward to get the white chip they are welcomed back and embraced.

Some go quickly to the core group, others take more time, which is ok, for their “Higher Power” is a work in their lives, in my life, and in your life dear reader, even if unknown. A Catholic maxim: “God works in secret”. BrMD