• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Truth About Easter Customs

Is Easter a real Christian holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Who cares?!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (I'll post my opinion)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
That Jesus is God to the Christian?

Or that we shouldn't think of him that way?

Throw me a bone here people.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
NetDoc said:
That Jesus is God to the Christian?

Or that we shouldn't think of him that way?

Throw me a bone here people.
*tries to throw NetDoc a bone, but it turns into a rabbit halfway and lands safely on the ground*

My pagan instincts are overwhelming me... I must... worship it!

Ronald

OKAY DOC! Here is a bone, This word you are not to utter, becomes the most holy day to you Christians! This unholy word of Acts 12:4, translated about 27 times as Passover. Only once in KJV so the King could keep his unholy day. Not only is it a wrong word, it has been moved to the SUNday after the solstice. Hooray for the Christians!!!! ;)

Scuba Pete

[singing voice=TinaTurner]
"What's Passover
got to do, got to do with it?

What's Passover,
but an ancient
Jewish holiday?"
[/singing]

So help me here... I am just a simple man. Are you for Christians observing the Passover? Is there some deeper meaning that my simple mind can not fathom? Are you contending that Easter is unholy?

Really, I am just not sure who players are here OR even what team they are on. Anyone got a program guide that I can follow?

The controversy seems about to overwhelm me!

Ronald

Hey! Doc! Aren't you to imitate Paul as he imitates the Messiah? Did either one of them do your Christian holiday? They were both keepers of the Hebrew Holy Days. i.e. Passover, Shavuot and Tabernacles. In Hebrew Moedim. Yeah, Jesus a Hebrew Sage, kept all the Moedim! Yeah I'm suggesting you imitate him as you are instructed in your New Testament. Yes, that day you call a holy day is unholy!!!

Ronald

Doc, You shall do as you always do! Right, wrong or indifferent! You are convinced you are under grace and you need not for anything. For salvation, this is true! Election requires obedience. There is no way the truth will change a mind made up.
Shalom

Scuba Pete

Being a simple man... I just realized that you aren't answering any of my questions.

Are you contending that Easter is an unholy festival?

Ronald

NetDoc said:
Being a simple man... I just realized that you aren't answering any of my questions.

Are you contending that Easter is an unholy festival?
Doc, LOOK UP, I said your closed mind can't be moved by truth! :jiggy:
:woohoo: Your cutesy isn't working!
In case you can't look up "Yes, that day you call a holy day is unholy!!!"
But, Assuredlly God will be pleased you make it Holy unto Him! Remember the Golden Calf was a Holy Day unto the Lord! My memory is kinda fuzzy, how many were rewarded for their efforts? ;)

Scuba Pete

Now I am really confused! No one's called me "cute" before!

Oh well! I can't force him to 'splain himself. I'm just glad that God won't give up on me!

For what it's worth: I do not place any day as more important than another. This includes, Christmas, Easter, Ramadan, etc But i DO believe in Colossians 2 (as I do the rest of the Bible). And if you're passing judgement... then shame on you!!! ;)

Ronald

NetDoc said:
Now I am really confused! No one's called me "cute" before!

Oh well! I can't force him to 'splain himself. I'm just glad that God won't give up on me!

For what it's worth: I do not place any day as more important than another. This includes, Christmas, Easter, Ramadan, etc But i DO believe in Colossians 2 (as I do the rest of the Bible). And if you're passing judgement... then shame on you!!! ;)
Judgement of the day, YES!!!!!

Col.3:10 and have put on the new nature, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.

Reflect this light!

Be a little more Messianic!

Scuba Pete

Mark 7:18 "Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him `unclean'? 19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.") 20 He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him `unclean.' 21 For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22 greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and make a man `unclean.'" NIV

OK, I can eat them thar chocolate bunnies and purty Easter Eggs.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day NIV

Well, this tells me not to let others dampen my fun.

I Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. NIV

Now this tells me to become "all things to all men"! What does THAT mean? Hey! I like the Christianity stuff! I get to try new things in order to understand people better, and perhaps to even change them. I don't have to get all bent out of shape because of their religious festivals, and I can even eat some of their food. This is my idea of following Jesus!

Ronald

Ro 14:13 Then let us no more pass judgment on one another, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

Your Hebrew Brother, What about that?

Since you are convinced, don't let me interfere with your fun. May HaShem have mercy on your soul.

I'm finished, Shalom.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ronald said:
Ro 14:13 Then let us no more pass judgment on one another, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

Oddly enough, in all this thread, I think the only person not putting a stumbling block in the way of others is NetDoc.

Scuba Pete

Oy vey!!! I hate them stumbling blocks. Too many people putting words in God's mouth telling other people how they should run their life! Brethren, this ought not to be! Then they try to put a guilt trip on you for liking good ol' St Nick or the Easter Bunny. Then, when you don't buy into their schlock, they get all moody on you and accuse you of being closed minded.

You know if I could invent another holiday that would bring Jesus to the forefront of the world I would do it in a thrice! Maybe we can celebrate "ChristSon Day" in July! Instead of highlighting Jesus' birth or death, we highlight him as a playful boy!What a concept! Where's my publicist?

And WHOA... Fat ol' St NetDoc is going to visit little boys and little girls all over the world to celebrate Jesus as a Son! Sure we'll have to get the parents and the toy stores in on this, but what a way to get the kids involved in thinking about Jesus! It's giving me goose bumps!

t3gah

SOGFPP said:
Shouldn't the Church that decided the Canon of Scripture decide what celebrations to observe?
Those who canoned the scriptures didn't write them, they just realized which scriptures were relevant. They can either follow the scriptures or don't follow them, but the Church really has no say as to which celebrations they can add to the Christian way. Any pagan celebration is still pagan even if they, whomever they are, take that celebration and make it their own.

Ronald

Net Doc,

Your being convinced you may disobey God and enter the Kingdom of God, to me is beyond belief, but I have encountered it throughout Christianity, so it is no surprise. My Dad was fond of this saying which describes the condition. “Don’t confuse me with the facts! My mind is made up!”

The rest of this is for those who haven’t made up their minds.

Paul is in Jerusalem, having been in the Nations teaching the Gentiles, he has appeared before the leadership of the New Testament Church and they give an edict;
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Acts 15:28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:

29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell."

Ac 21:25 But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity."

26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself with them and went into the temple, to give notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for every one of them.

27 ¶ When the seven days were almost completed, the Jews from Asia, who had seen him in the temple, stirred up all the crowd, and laid hands on him,

Paul has pledged he was a law keeper who is zealous for the law and in Romans 13 he instructs his students to submit to the authorities, whoever they are; Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Now, If Paul does as some Christians say he does, He defies the Church authority and teaches it is alright to go into an idols temple and eat meat sacrificed to idols. Paul is nothing but a hypocrite. But Paul doesn’t defy the authority of the church and he says to the Gnostic “Strong Believer” he is a sinner, not only sinning against his weak brother, but to Jesus Christ! Ro 14:15 If your brother is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died.

1Co 8:11 And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died.

So please, Dear Christian, read Paul correctly! Paul upholds the law, obeys God and the Church. You obey the Church an “abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.” (Instructions to the Gentiles)

When you are invited to the wedding supper, be
sure to put on the “Wedding Garment”

Scuba Pete

Hmnnn,

Lets try a more modern version:

Acts 15:19 "It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21 For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath." NIV

Notice how he started this; It is my judgment. He points our right away that this is NOT a rule from God. Apperently they were worried about "Causing their brothers to stumble" and was in response to the "judaisers" that were causing trouble in Antioch.

But speaking of eating and of putting up stumbling blocks...

Romasn 14:1 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written: "`As surely as I live,' says the Lord, `every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" 12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. NIV (Bolds are mine)

But then, I am used to pseudo spiritual people passing judgement on me about "disputable matters". I wonder if Ronald is as open to the WHOLE truth as he expects others to be?

fromthe heart

Ronald...I'm afraid I have to agree with NetDoc on this one...and no my mind isn't closed to learning the ways of the Lord...I do however think the same as Doc does....Could You please open Your mind and try to see it from our point of view or are you closed minded on how YOU feel? I've listened to all you said very carefully and looked to the scriptures for myself.

It's true we are not to be stumbling blocks...but it passing judgement on others in some of what they do that they feel is right could possibly BE putting a stumbling block.

Ronald

Yes, all Christians who replace Israel, believe as you two do! albeit false teaching! Y H V H has never replaced Israel, never will. It isn't called "Replacement Theology" for nothing.