• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The truth about doctors

Ana.J

I read this on the internet

Quote:
Western medical doctors know so little about health and healing – they are merely sales people for the financial and pharmaceutical cartels.

Very true!

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
image.jpeg

Quote:
Western medical doctors know so little about health and healing – they are merely sales people for the financial and pharmaceutical cartels.

Very true!

Partially true, although I'm not sure why it is limited to western doctors, from my experience they tend to be much better on average than doctors in non-Western countries where many of them are dangerously incompetent. (I would guess that the context was 'so let's all use traditional healing methods/homeopathy/magic crystals/etc')

Doctors have a tendency to overtreat and overmedicate patients. I have some degree of sympathy for them as patients often practically demand medication and detest being told 'you'll get better on your own in 5 -7 days'.

Also cost and resources often make it preferable to give someone anti-depressants instead of ongoing cognitive behavioural therapy of other psychological assistance which is very expensive

The pharma industry also spends a lot of money to persuade doctors to prescribe their medicines and to influence reference texts with standardised prescribing guidelines. They spend a lot of money influencing the medical sciences in a very opaque manner. Doctors who are overmedicating are often following accepted 'best practice', which often turns out to have been very poor practice.

As health is so important to most people, and healthcare is both an art and a science, it is difficult for doctors. They have to make decisions with incomplete information, often based on science that is flawed, and are constantly open to influence by the pharma industry.

Most doctors care about their patients and try to do their best by them, although their intentions do not always match the result.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

Quote:

Very true!
Great bumper sticker, not very accurate though.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Quote:

Very true!

Truth about Doctors

Educated and Trained humans skilled in various areas but not all on the human condition, but humans themselves, some good, some average and some bad. It is your responsibility to find the one right for you.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to agree with that, @Ana.J . Not 100% - I mean they do know some things. But the medical field is so corrupt. And from my experience with doctors, which is quite a lot, most of the time they come back to simply they say they don't know what's wrong an not to worry about it (despite horrendous suffering) or will incorrectly conclude on the condition. That could just be a problem in my country; I don't know. But doctors here are so often useless! Absolutely appalling at diagnosis.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Big pharma surely doesn't have a series of good practices, however this is not doctor's error.

But doctors get a lot of pressure to push pills and in many cases they are financially rewarded for it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Doctors in the UK prescribe only generics, when they are available.
health service doctors no longer have sales people calling on them.
They can not prescribe medications on the Nhs that are not approved by NICE.

Doctors in the UK have to keep up to date with the latest medications and diagnostics. and keep a log of all learning, reading and seminars etc. These are examined as part of their annual competency check.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Indeed. However that is not due to their lack of knowledge as OP proclaims, I imagine that doctors have a genuine interest in people getting better.
Further, the patient can have an active role, too. I request generic alternatives where it is applicable.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed. However that is not due to their lack of knowledge as OP proclaims, I imagine that doctors have a genuine interest in people getting better.

I think some do and some don't (probably the ones who don't enjoy the work). I've had some really dismissive doctors who seemed to completely lack care. And then some really great ones. I guess that's like any profession but you'd hope to see less of that in the medical field.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Quote:

Very true!
If someone has a doctor who behaves that way,
then they need a different doctor.

I've used doctors to service my various needs.
I've worked in the industry designing medical products.
I observe that there are many different motivations.
Consumers should be informed & inquisitive.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
But doctors get a lot of pressure to push pills and in many cases they are financially rewarded for it.
Then you have doctors like mine that you almost have to throw into a headlock to get him to prescribe something, LOL. He is far and away more inclined to give practical lifestyle change suggestions... and he is usually right. He is a firm proponent of eating good healthy foods (with an emphasis on items from your own garden) and to make sure you do something to work up a good sweat everyday.

Wirey

Fartist
Then you have doctors like mine that you almost have to throw into a headlock to get him to prescribe something, LOL. He is far and away more inclined to give practical lifestyle change suggestions... and he is usually right. He is a firm proponent of eating good healthy foods (with an emphasis on items from your own garden) and to make sure you do something to work up a good sweat everyday.

Bad news, BC boy. Your doctor is a damn tree-hugging hippy! Now take some antibiotics before he marries you to a dolphin or a spirit guide or some other weird marijuana induced idea!