• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The tetragrammaton YHVH is pronounced Yehovah, “yeh-ho-vah”, and the name of Christ is pronounced Yeshua, “yeh-shoo-ah”, where the name of Yeshua includes the name of Yehovah in his own name in the YE part of the name, in shortened form from the longer version of the name Yehoshua, which is a contraction of two words, Yehovah and yasha, which means, “Yehovah delivers”. Exodus 3:15, Exodus 17:9, 1 Chronicles 24:11.

You can read the full study here The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ | Wisdom of God .
It seems to me an error of understanding of what the concept of God actually represents, to imagine the spelling or the pronunciation of the supreme deity would make any difference to THAT represented by the name. Names are labels, the reality is on the other side of the name or concept. What is important is the understanding of the actual reality represented by the name, rather than the how to spell or pronounce the label.. If anyone is discussing 'God' with me, whether they use Jehovah, Allah, God, Supreme Being, etc., I understand what they are referring to, and that is sufficient for me. I sometimes am reminded of the saying about straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel!

Messianic Israelite

It seems to me an error of understanding of what the concept of God actually represents, to imagine the spelling or the pronunciation of the supreme deity would make any difference to THAT represented by the name. Names are labels, the reality is on the other side of the name or concept. What is important is the understanding of the actual reality represented by the name, rather than the how to spell or pronounce the label.. If anyone is discussing 'God' with me, whether they use Jehovah, Allah, God, Supreme Being, etc., I understand what they are referring to, and that is sufficient for me. I sometimes am reminded of the saying about straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel!

Hi Ben. Sorry, what is your name again? Fred? Alice? Sally? Purple? You have a name, you expect people to use it. Its an utter sign of disrespect when people, without your permission, substitute your name. His name is Yahweh. It appears in the Hebrew text and He expects those who are His to use His Name. Read the Bible some time, you'll find just how jealous Yahweh is for His worship alone using His Name such as in Isaiah 42:8. So please don't try to speak for Yahweh and pass it off as something that isn't important to Him.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi Ben. Sorry, what is your name again? Fred? Alice? Sally? Purple? You have a name, you expect people to use it. Its an utter sign of disrespect when people, without your permission, substitute your name. His name is Yahweh. It appears in the Hebrew text and He expects those who are His to use His Name. Read the Bible some time, you'll find just how jealous Yahweh is for His worship alone using His Name such as in Isaiah 42:8. So please don't try to speak for Yahweh and pass it off as something that isn't important to Him.
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"...

So here are the names Jesus used for God as translated to English, God, Lord, Great King, Most High, Father. .

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't believe that

yes the Name is important
and when requested by Moses the response was a statement
….tell the people....I AM!
and they that understand will know Whose law this is

I get it

God did not speak His Name to Moses

it holds the power of creation

it is sacred

and is not known to Man

Messianic Israelite

I don't believe that

yes the Name is important
and when requested by Moses the response was a statement
….tell the people....I AM!
and they that understand will know Whose law this is

I get it

God did not speak His Name to Moses

it holds the power of creation

it is sacred

and is not known to Man
Hi Thief. Good morning. The term is in Hebrew e'heyeh aser' e'heyeh translated usually as I AM WHO I AM, or I AM. This is a poetic expression of Yahweh's very nature. We could get in a discussion of the meaning of the name Yahweh but it is related to meaning existence which is why it's such a beautiful name because those who come to Him want to exist (in eternal life). You alluded to Exodus 3:14. In the next verse, Exodus 3:15, Yahweh says his Name: "15 And Elohim said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Yahweh, the Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Notice, he says "this is my memorial unto all generations". You might want to look up the word memorial in a dictionary when you get the time. I'm sure you'll find it enlightening.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hi Thief. Good morning. The term is in Hebrew e'heyeh aser' e'heyeh translated usually as I AM WHO I AM, or I AM. This is a poetic expression of Yahweh's very nature. We could get in a discussion of the meaning of the name Yahweh but it is related to meaning existence which is why it's such a beautiful name because those who come to Him want to exist (in eternal life). You alluded to Exodus 3:14. In the next verse, Exodus 3:15, Yahweh says his Name: "15 And Elohim said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Yahweh, the Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Notice, he says "this is my memorial unto all generations". You might want to look up the word memorial in a dictionary when you get the time. I'm sure you'll find it enlightening.
no surprise in the definition

but if you sit still and consider...….Someone had to be First
in mind and heart

and prior to the creation.....how do you say?....I AM!

the only mystery is that pronouncement

we get to ask Him how …...when we meet Him

but even if we do.....I believe THAT pronouncement
carries the power of creation

I don't think He will just speak of It
upon request

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
no surprise in the definition

but if you sit still and consider...….Someone had to be First
in mind and heart

and prior to the creation.....how do you say?....I AM!

the only mystery is that pronouncement

we get to ask Him how …...when we meet Him

but even if we do.....I believe THAT pronouncement
carries the power of creation

I don't think He will just speak of It
upon request
Here is where I get to go all mystic, for the Lord to try and convey/reveal His complete nature to the human mind, it would be analogous to trying to download the workload of a NASA supercomputer to a PC. However, to the extent that a human humbly submits their heart, mind, and soul to God in love, all things are possible.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Here is where I get to go all mystic, for the Lord to try and convey/reveal His complete nature to the human mind, it would be analogous to trying to download the workload of a NASA supercomputer to a PC. However, to the extent that a human humbly submits their heart, mind, and soul to God in love, all things are possible.
except that we become God's equal

HaEmeth

Truth sets free
The tetragrammaton YHVH is pronounced Yehovah, “yeh-ho-vah”, and the name of Christ is pronounced Yeshua, “yeh-shoo-ah”, where the name of Yeshua includes the name of Yehovah in his own name in the YE part of the name, in shortened form from the longer version of the name Yehoshua, which is a contraction of two words, Yehovah and yasha, which means, “Yehovah delivers”. Exodus 3:15, Exodus 17:9, 1 Chronicles 24:11.

You can read the full study here The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ | Wisdom of God .

I'm getting a 404 on the link. Please send an updated link

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I'm getting a 404 on the link. Please send an updated link
The OP has not been seen around here in almost a year and a half.

He does have a website which you can find if you look for it, but I’m not going to provide you with the link. Just telling you there is a link may be giving undue credence to his nonsense.

YHVH
this may be an acronym (the Lord is merciful

several verse shows repeat this sentence constantly) there are many names that have this name John may mean this term)

but we don't know what God's name is until the moon comes, but maybe even then we won't know him? do we think we deserve it? but is it true?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
YHVH
this may be an acronym (the Lord is merciful

several verse shows repeat this sentence constantly) there are many names that have this name John may mean this term)

but we don't know what God's name is until the moon comes, but maybe even then we won't know him? do we think we deserve it? but is it true?
It is not an acronym. Where did you get that idea.