• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It was not a commandment to say something other than the Divine Name. Lord is not Yahweh, or Yahveh, or Yehovah, or however someone might pronounce it. Used properly, with reverence, it certainly is not wrong to say God's personal name. It is in the scriptures thousands of times.
All of those approximations are not the divine name. They are insults of the divine name.

The reason we say Lord, God, etc., is because we don't want to take the chance of using the divine name in vain, we don't even want to approach that lest we go over the line on accident. Proper use would be in prayer or worship (but not casual talk). However, we don't have that option these days, since the pronunciation of the Name is lost.

IndigoChild5559

It really doesn't matter as long as scholars and others know the Hebrew and can translate it into something recognizable. For instance, Jerusalem is understood by English speakers, but it certainly isn't pronounced that way by those saying it in Hebrew. The J is a Y sound from English to Hebrew. Yes, from my research, you are correct that it is not certain (or is it important as far as I am concerned) that someone says it exactly as spoken to and by Moses.
It's not the same with words such as Jerusalem. These other words were used commonly, and so the pronunciations were never lost.

With the divine name, it got so that it was only used by the High Priest on Yom Kippur (someone can correct me if I'm remembering this wrong). When the second Temple was destroyed, the people didn't hear it even once a year. Knowledge of it simply died out. There may be someone in the forum who knows more about this than I, but this is as best as I can remember.

Messianic Israelite

Using an approximation is, IMHO, rather insulting. It approaches using the name in vain.

If using the Name incorrectly is using the Name in vain, what about not using the Name at all? Do you think that pleases Yahweh? Why would Yahweh reveal His Name in the Bible if He didn't want His people to use it? Look at all the confusion that has been introduced in religion because the Name Yahweh has been removed from usage. The third commandment proves that Yahweh wants us to use His Name, just not to use it in a blasphemous way. It's not really an approximation any more than the pronunciation of any other name in the Bible. As I already explained, and it is proven by multiple encyclopedias, the Name of the Almighty is Yahweh.

I know who I worship. It's Yahweh, the one and only true Elohim. Who do you worship?

As for me, "I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, And will call upon the name of Yahweh." (Psalm 116:17)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A name is not a person.

As the Buddhist teach, "When pointing at the moon, it is important to remember that the end of one's finger is not the moon".

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Using an approximation is, IMHO, rather insulting. It approaches using the name in vain.
It is possible that we can insult the Creator by calling Him Hashem, or Adonai while not doing His will. Or using those appellations in vain.

YoursTrue

As I already explained to you, Yahweh is he preferred intelligent guess of many scholars today. It is the best guess. But it is still a guess. No one can possibly know. It's just NOT POSSIBLE to know.

The vowel markings are adding the vowels of Adonai to the Tetragrammaton for the sake of holiness, and if you accept them, you end up with Yahovah, not Yahweh.

I really don't want to continue this discussion with you. It's not because of anything you have said, you've been great. It's just that in order to communicate, it's been necessary for me to use these approximations, and I end up feeling awful for doing so.

Be well.
At least you said it. "The preferred guess."

IndigoChild5559

It is possible that we can insult the Creator by calling Him Hashem, or Adonai while not doing His will. Or using those appellations in vain.
doing any evil in the name of God (regardless of the title you use) is chillul HaShem (desecration of the name).

YoursTrue

Well, I said the best guess. Almost the same thing. But... it's still a guess. I'm not going to take that chance at insulting the sovereign God of the universe.
As the Bible says, the true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, is not some other God. God has a name and He doesn't want that Name to be hidden. Not sure what translation you use, but you might want to look at Psalm 83:18. LORD or adonay is not God's personal Name. There is no commandment to abstain from using that Name, reverentially. It is a lie to say a mispronunciation would insult the true God. Tell me, to whom did God tell His name, the true pronunciation?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The tetragrammaton YHVH is pronounced Yehovah, “yeh-ho-vah”, and the name of Christ is pronounced Yeshua, “yeh-shoo-ah”, where the name of Yeshua includes the name of Yehovah in his own name in the YE part of the name, in shortened form from the longer version of the name Yehoshua, which is a contraction of two words, Yehovah and yasha, which means, “Yehovah delivers”. Exodus 3:15, Exodus 17:9, 1 Chronicles 24:11.

You can read the full study here The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ | Wisdom of God .

Wow., I'm sure glad that that's settled.

YoursTrue

A name is not a person.

As the Buddhist teach, "When pointing at the moon, it is important to remember that the end of one's finger is not the moon".
A name, however, often denotes a person. There is more than one Jesus in the Bible. But when we usually say his name, most people relate in context the name Jesus to the Son of God.

YoursTrue

For exampe, flying planes into the Twin Towers and klling thousands of innocent civilians in the name of God would be exactly this sort of evil.
So how would you summarize this, then killing others "in the name of God" is bad, is that right? Of course, I don't think they used the Hebrew name of God in any case, even a mispronunciation, but then that's not the point,is it.

IndigoChild5559

So how would you summarize this, then killing others "in the name of God" is bad, is that right? Of course, I don't think they used the Hebrew name of God in any case, even a mispronunciation, but then that's not the point,is it.
Unless God himself speaks and tells you to kill someone, I would say that ethically it is indefensible.
Perhaps it's you that is insulting God.
I'm not the one casually mispronouncing his sacred name.

Super Universe

Defender of God
The tetragrammaton YHVH is pronounced Yehovah, “yeh-ho-vah”, and the name of Christ is pronounced Yeshua, “yeh-shoo-ah”, where the name of Yeshua includes the name of Yehovah in his own name in the YE part of the name, in shortened form from the longer version of the name Yehoshua, which is a contraction of two words, Yehovah and yasha, which means, “Yehovah delivers”. Exodus 3:15, Exodus 17:9, 1 Chronicles 24:11.

You can read the full study here The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ | Wisdom of God .

When Moses asked for a name what was said was "I am," meaning, I exist. The burning bush did not say call me "I am." No name was given because no being in the entire universe knows Gods name. The angels don't even know it. It has never been revealed.