• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ

The tetragrammaton YHVH is pronounced Yehovah, “yeh-ho-vah”, and the name of Christ is pronounced Yeshua, “yeh-shoo-ah”, where the name of Yeshua includes the name of Yehovah in his own name in the YE part of the name, in shortened form from the longer version of the name Yehoshua, which is a contraction of two words, Yehovah and yasha, which means, “Yehovah delivers”. Exodus 3:15, Exodus 17:9, 1 Chronicles 24:11.

You can read the full study here The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ | Wisdom of God .

Thief

Rogue Theologian
the story I got.....

Moses wanted to know....what shall I tell the people?
they will want to know Whose law this is

Tell them.....I AM!....
and they with understanding will know Whose law this is

makes sense to me

and was it not said of the Jews?
they believed in a God that had no name
and that item set them apart from all other beliefs

I love how non-Hebrew speaking people like to interpret Hebrew words

This is a stupid remark. This study is based on the thorough investigation of Nehemiah Gordon, who is indeed a Hebrew speaking man, who has uncovered over a thousand manuscripts containing these vowel points, along with my own research.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This is a stupid remark. This study is based on the thorough investigation of Nehemiah Gordon, who is indeed a Hebrew speaking man, who has uncovered over a thousand manuscripts containing these vowel points, along with my own research.

So can I ask you is the YHVH any different than how Hebrew speakers pronounced?

Skwim

Veteran Member
The tetragrammaton YHVH is pronounced Yehovah, “yeh-ho-vah”, and the name of Christ is pronounced Yeshua, “yeh-shoo-ah”, where the name of Yeshua includes the name of Yehovah in his own name in the YE part of the name, in shortened form from the longer version of the name Yehoshua, which is a contraction of two words, Yehovah and yasha, which means, “Yehovah delivers”. Exodus 3:15, Exodus 17:9, 1 Chronicles 24:11.

You can read the full study here The True Pronunciation of YHVH and the Name of Christ | Wisdom of God .
And who is this Christian Gaviria Alvarez, the author of your linked information, that we should take his word? From his Twitter and Face Book accounts he's nothing more than an independent contract senior software developer.

And who is this Christian Gaviria Alvarez, the author of your linked information, that we should take his word? From his Twitter and Face Book accounts he's nothing more than an independent contract senior software developer.

Some of the apostles were nothing more than fishermen. Judge not by external appearance, but rather, if Christian Gaviria is not telling the truth, then let the scriptures themselves prove him wrong.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Some of the apostles were nothing more than fishermen. Judge not by external appearance,
It's one thing to be a believer, but quite another to assert something as fact.

but rather, if Christian Gaviria is not telling the truth, then let the scriptures themselves prove him wrong.
Unless you have some specific scripture in mind this is nonsense. If I said Jesus ate Mediterranean horse mackerel and my defense was "let scripture prove me wrong," where do you start?

It's one thing to be a believer, but quite another to assert something as fact.

Unless you have some specific scripture in mind this is nonsense. If I said Jesus ate Mediterranean horse mackerel and my defense was "let scripture prove me wrong," where do you start?

How about starting with not presumptuously disbelieving someone you don't know on account of their profession, which is what you did? If the believers in the apostles had done the same as you, judging the apostles as mere fishermen with no "credentials", then none would've reached salvation.

Skwim

Veteran Member
How about starting with not presumptuously disbelieving someone you don't know on account of their profession, which is what you did?
Because in this case expertise has got a lot to do with veracity. I'm not saying Alvarez is wrong, only that he hasn't shown us any expertise in the area of pronunciation, particularly that of YHVH. Is he a sociolinguist? Not that we know of. Is he a dialectologist? Not that we know of? Is he a psycholinguist? Not that we know of. Is he a historical-comparative linguist? Not that we know of. Is he an applied linguist? Not that we know of. Is he any kind of linguist? Not that we know of. What we do know of Mr. Alvarez is that he's an independent contract software developer, which hardly qualifies him as someone to take seriously when he makes assertions about the pronunciation of YHVH. But then maybe your standards of qualification are much lower than mine. Maybe all you need is someone who sounds intelligent and can tell a good tale, which is fine, but don't expect others to stoop to your level of requirement.

Because in this case expertise has got a lot to do with veracity. I'm not saying Alvarez is wrong, only that he hasn't shown us any expertise in the area of pronunciation, particularly that of YHVH. Is he a sociolinguist? Not that we know of. Is he a dialectologist? Not that we know of? Is he a psycholinguist? Not that we know of. Is he a historical-comparative linguist? Not that we know of. Is he an applied linguist? Not that we know of. Is he any kind of linguist? Not that we know of. What we do know of Mr. Alvarez is that he's an independent contract software developer, which hardly qualifies him as someone to take seriously when he makes assertions about the pronunciation of YHVH. But then maybe your standards of qualification are much lower than mine. Maybe all you need is someone who sounds intelligent and can tell a good tale, which is fine, but don't expect others to stoop to your level of requirement.

Do not seek credentials, because it is clear from scripture that God did not choose men with credentials to understand his word, he chose the poor, the uneducated.... and fishermen, so that through the low of the world, he may confound the high of the world, the educated, the wise.... the ones whose credentials you seek, who actually know nothing. Look at all the megachurch pastors with expensive educations, new york time bestseller books, million dollar salaries, yet the know nothing. Look at all the highly praised scientists, with prizes and degrees, men of evolution and geology, yet they nothing. Stop looking for credentials. The vowel points of Yehovah exist in over a thousand ancient manuscripts, because these are the correct vowel points.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Based on this response, I'm presuming that you are, in fact, Christian Gaviria Alvarez. If that is the case, apparently @Skwim missed that.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Do not seek credentials, because it is clear from scripture that God did not choose men with credentials to understand his word, he chose the poor, the uneducated.... and fishermen, so that through the low of the world, he may confound the high of the world, the educated, the wise.... the ones whose credentials you seek, who actually know nothing. Look at all the megachurch pastors with expensive educations, new york time bestseller books, million dollar salaries, yet the know nothing. Look at all the highly praised scientists, with prizes and degrees, men of evolution and geology, yet they nothing. Stop looking for credentials. The vowel points of Yehovah exist in over a thousand ancient manuscripts, because these are the correct vowel points.
Then who is right in their understanding of his word

The Catholics
The Lutherans
The Methodists
The Mormons
The Baptists
The Presbyterians
The Hungarian Greek Catholic Church
The Protestant Church of Augsburg Confession of Alsace and Lorraine
The United Church of Canada
The Church of Jesus Christ in Madagascar
The Mennonites
The Amish
The Hutterites
The Assemblies of God
The Jesus Is Lord Church Worldwide
The Church of England
The Russian Orthodox Church
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Obviously they can't all be right---many differ substantially---so which are truly understanding his word, and why them?

Then who is right in their understanding of his word
The Catholics
The Lutherans
The Methodists
The Mormons
The Baptists
The Presbyterians
The Hungarian Greek Catholic Church
The Protestant Church of Augsburg Confession of Alsace and Lorraine
The United Church of Canada
The Church of Jesus Christ in Madagascar
The Mennonites
The Amish
The Hutterites
The Assemblies of God
The Jesus Is Lord Church Worldwide
The Church of England
The Russian Orthodox Church
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Obviously they can't all be right---many differ substantially---so which are truly understanding his word, and why them?

None, for anyone claiming to know the truth will not divide themselves into yet another denomination, they will claim to be of the one and only assembly of Yeshua Christ.

Skwim

Veteran Member
None, for anyone claiming to know the truth will not divide themselves into yet another denomination, they will claim to be of the one and only assembly of Yeshua Christ.
So, because the Catholic Church was the first church to grow out of early Christian beliefs and it remained true to itself while all the other denominations were off shoots of it, It, and it alone must be right. That about it?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

As one who is part of a group identified with the name of God in its Anglicized form, I would like to ask an obvious question....

If YHWH is the originator of all language, and it was He who revealed his unique name to Moses (Exodus 3:14-15) the Tanach reveals that his name means "I Will Be". (Not "I Am") It is not a statement of his being but of his intention....to BE whatever he needs to be to accomplish his purpose. (Isaiah 55:11) As any Jew will tell you, it is future tense.

So in any language, (not just Hebrew) YHWH recognizes his own name which, if spoken with due reverence is not too sacred to be uttered. (the Bible writers certainly had no problem with referring to their God by name with almost 7,000 such references)

There are so many languages that translate the divine name into their own way of saying it....none of them is wrong. Logically, a translation is preferable to a transliteration because it retains the meaning, not just the sound of a foreign tongue. It is the meaning of names in the Bible that is important, not how we pronounce them.

Being carried away by pronunciation is IMO a complete distraction from "doing the will of God" which in the final judgement, means more to God and his Christ than how you say his name, or how you view its pronunciation. (Matthew 7:21-23)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Are you sure God okay with us being on first name basis? I'm mean it seems impolite to not ask permission first.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
the story I got.....

Moses wanted to know....what shall I tell the people?
they will want to know Whose law this is

Tell them.....I AM!....
and they with understanding will know Whose law this is

makes sense to me

and was it not said of the Jews?
they believed in a God that had no name
and that item set them apart from all other beliefs
Going back for a moment as to what Jesus said, and which is configured by some to take it that it means Jesus is the Great I AM, here is some Greek information as to why it does not have to be translated as the I AM, The Greek verb used, eimi, is literally in the present tense, but it is preceded by the aorist infinitive clause which refers to Abraham’s past. Therefore the Greek verb eimi must be viewed as a historical present. Regarding this, Hadley and Allen’s Greek Grammar says, in section 828: HISTORICAL PRESENT -- In vivid narration, a past event is often thought of and expressed as present: The present in this use is freely interchanged with the past tenses.
The Greek verb there used, eimiʹ, is literally in the present tense, but in view of its being preceded by the aorist infinitive clause which refers to Abraham’s past, the Greek verb eimiʹ must be viewed as a historical present. Regarding the historical present Hadley and Allen’s Greek Grammar says, in section 828: HISTORICAL PRESENT.—In vivid narration, a past event is often thought of and expressed as present: . . . The present in this use is freely interchanged with the past tenses . . .

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Going back for a moment as to what Jesus said, and which is configured by some to take it that it means Jesus is the Great I AM, here is some Greek information as to why it does not have to be translated as the I AM, The Greek verb used, eimi, is literally in the present tense, but it is preceded by the aorist infinitive clause which refers to Abraham’s past. Therefore the Greek verb eimi must be viewed as a historical present. Regarding this, Hadley and Allen’s Greek Grammar says, in section 828: HISTORICAL PRESENT -- In vivid narration, a past event is often thought of and expressed as present: The present in this use is freely interchanged with the past tenses.
The Greek verb there used, eimiʹ, is literally in the present tense, but in view of its being preceded by the aorist infinitive clause which refers to Abraham’s past, the Greek verb eimiʹ must be viewed as a historical present. Regarding the historical present Hadley and Allen’s Greek Grammar says, in section 828: HISTORICAL PRESENT.—In vivid narration, a past event is often thought of and expressed as present: . . . The present in this use is freely interchanged with the past tenses . . .
ok.....

when I consider the text I referred to.....
I picture one man in the presence of God
and there has been a lengthy discussion

to the end of which a set of laws has been rendered
and the intent is to deliver the law unto the people

Moses does what is expected of a man
he wants to know the Name

after all.......he knew the house of Pharoah
and the gods that had names

but a name for God does seem lacking
what name could encompass such Existence?

I AM!

and whether it be past ....present ....or future......