• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trolly Problem

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Imagine you’re watching a runaway trolley barreling down the tracks, straight towards five workers. You happen to be standing next to a switch that will divert the trolley onto a second track. Here’s the problem: that track has a worker on it, too — but just one. What do you do? Do you sacrifice one person to save five? Eleanor Nelsen details the ethical dilemma that is the trolley problem.

Would you sacrifice one person to save five?
- Eleanor Nelsen

:leafwind:

Some say its better to save five peoples lives by sacrificing one.

Yet, they flinch if that same one sacrifice was pushed to save others rather than passively being "in the way".

Yet, they are both the same.

:leafwind: Not suprisingly

This made me think of the jesus sacrifice.

If jesus were alive today, would believers sacrifice him (push him off the bridge) to save humanity?

Or if that made you flinch

How is that different than letting jesus die as a "passive; in the way" to save humanity

If god supported both views?

In general, readers

Do you see the two video scenarios as the same or different?
Why or why not?

Shaul

Premium Member
The idea of bartering of human lives is disgusting. Trivializing the sanctity of human lives by creating hypothetical deaths of them is wrong.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
What about the option of letting all six die, to lower the burden on society by six people.

I'm just sayin' not all the options are present.

This is where my mind goes.

Dismally dark.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What about the option of letting all six die, to lower the burden on society by six people.

Dismally dark.

There are a lot of other options. I mean, when I took math I kept trying to figure all the ways to work the same problem. The tutor said of course there are many ways but your professor wants you to do it This way. So, I had to follow the OP and get a good grade than derailing the problem and get an F cause I did it wrong even if I got the right answer.

Aka. Which do you think is better?
Why or why not?

james blunt

Imagine you’re watching a runaway trolley barreling down the tracks, straight towards five workers. You happen to be standing next to a switch that will divert the trolley onto a second track. Here’s the problem: that track has a worker on it, too — but just one. What do you do? Do you sacrifice one person to save five? Eleanor Nelsen details the ethical dilemma that is the trolley problem.

- Eleanor Nelsen

Yet, they flinch if that same one sacrifice was pushed to save others rather than passively being "in the way".

If jesus were alive today, would believers sacrifice him (push him off the bridge) to save humanity?

How is that different than letting jesus die as a "passive; in the way" to save humanity

In general, readers
Why or why not?

You think fast, switch the lever that changes track to half way , derailing the trolley.
The bridge example is not the same, but instead of chucking the big man off, jump on the trolley and hit the breaks .

Last edited by a moderator:

74x12

- Eleanor Nelsen

In general, readers

Why or why not?

i would not sacrifice Jesus. In my belief it was God that did the whole thing. God was manifest to take away our sins. God came to die. We had nothing to do with God's decision. God decided the whole thing by Himself. I believe if you murdered Jesus then you're guilty before God and will pay for it. No one can murder Jesus and get away with it. They can repent but otherwise are in trouble. God left the actual killing part of it to satan and his followers.

As for letting Jesus die in a passive way, we again had no decision here. God decided the whole thing and satan deceived people (such as Judas in Luke 22:3) to actually do it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The bridge one is murder, the big man had 0 chance of dying, where in the first example, all of the people were on the track and all had a chance of dying anyway .

Thats basically the point of the video. A lot of people choose passivity. Gets them "off the hook" because they didnt do anything to cause death just supported it. If you were driving the train would you run over the guy to save the five?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
i would not sacrifice Jesus. In my belief it was God that did the whole thing. God was manifest to take away our sins. God came to die. We had nothing to do with God's decision. God decided the whole thing by Himself. I believe if you murdered Jesus then you're guilty before God and will pay for it. No one can murder Jesus and get away with it. They can repent but otherwise are in trouble. God left the actual killing part of it to satan and his followers.

As for letting Jesus die in a passive way, we again had no decision here. God decided the whole thing and satan deceived people (such as Judas in Luke 22:3) to actually do it.

Yes. I set it up with god supporting both so the question is which would you choose when god backs you either way.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The idea of bartering of human lives is disgusting. Trivializing the sanctity of human lives by creating hypothetical deaths of them is wrong.
Pshaw! Hike up your trousers, gird your loins, and stop making up excuses. MAKE A CHOICE.

Last edited:

james blunt

Thats basically the point of the video. A lot of people choose passivity. Gets them "off the hook" because they didnt do anything to cause death just supported it. If you were driving the train would you run over the guy to save the five?
I would run over the guy to save five , if there was no other options. It depends though , let us say this one guy was in some way extremely valued, lets say he was about to write an article for the cure of cancer.

Then surely we run over the 5 instead?

Or lets say the one guy has a family at home but the five are just single and a bit rough .

The situation changes again see, there is many ways to view it to come up with the right answer.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder

Dismally dark.

Or we could all jump in with them? :D

Sorry, couldn't help it :joycat:

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
Seems crystal clear to me what I have to do in that scenario.
There are two options.

A. By inaction allow more than one person to die.
B. By action cause one person to die.

Since either is a conscious decision, I have no alternative but select option B.

Since for each person destroyed X amount of lives are dissaffected or harmed by the destruction, including the life of the person destroyed, obviously. Thus if more than one person is destroyed X will always be higher.

If X amount of 'harm' is quantitively reducible, pulling the lever, then I have no choice but act to reduce it.

My mens rea is one of damage limitation.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Dismally dark.

Nah, not necessarily dark considering that humans as a species are overpopulated. It makes the most sense to go with the option that removes the most humans from the equation, sadly. Not because of the burden on human society, but because of the burden on the rest of the world. I wish I didn't live in a world where this is the case.

It's rare that a non-anthropocentric perspective is considered in these hypothetical questions. It's always "humans, humans, humans... only thing that matters." That sort of thinking is why we're in this overpopulation mess in the first place - why our species is guilty of launching global ecological genocide and a sixth mass extinction. With that context looming over my head, it's really hard to give a damn about preserving human life. And I hate that. :(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Seems crystal clear to me what I have to do in that scenario.
There are two options.

A. By inaction allow more than one person to die.
B. By action cause one person to die.

Since either is a conscious decision, I have no alternative but select option B.

Since for each person destroyed X amount of lives are dissaffected or harmed by the destruction, including the life of the person destroyed, obviously. Thus if more than one person is destroyed X will always be higher.

If X amount of 'harm' is quantitively reducible, pulling the lever, then I have no choice but act to reduce it.

My mens rea is one of damage limitation.

You'd have to rephrase the last part; but, in both scenarios a man does for the "greater good" of many. Yet, many people are more conflicted in option B (pushing the guy in front of the train) because it feels more personal. However, they are fine with option A since they are outside bystanders. Some see no difference between the two scenarios, others do.

I know you'd personally take a life to save many. I'd ask,

Which scenario makes sense, I guess morally, to support your views?

What makes many better than one person in regards to taking someone's life passively or actively?

(Thank you for actually answering the question)

Sanzbir

Ha. Cheat. If the trolley went off the cliff killing all five people, would that be more worth it than killing one person either actively or passively?

I dunno a. There's a chance no one dies in the derail scenario so good enough. I just like pointing out there's never a binary choice. :p