• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity: Was Athanasius Scripturally Right?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Bingo! It doesn’t matter what we believe. It only matters what the texts are saying.
Look at this for a minute: Daniel 7:14
King James Bible
"And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed."
Given him? Yes, given him. I don't know how others understand this, but I'm not sure if some might think the two (the Giver and the Receiver) were always equal.

YoursTrue

I think you’re wrong. Bread of Life, Way, Truth, Life — all the others too — these are poetic ways of climbing Divinity. How could a mere human be the Bread of Life?
He came from heaven. He knew that. He knew that if a person did not believe him it would not be good for them.

SLPCCC

Is it possible they (the two) worked together, in harmony with each other, but they were not equal?

I would say yes they worked together but as Jesus being the word of God.

At Hebrews 1:8 God says "O God" to Jesus,
But about the Son he [Jehovah] says, "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.

YoursTrue

No, but we share DNA, history, name, ancestors, identity, extended family, and we are co-equal persons in the same family community.
That we inherit dna does not make me equal to the two from which I received the combination. It took two to make one. I am not equal to my parents in age. I have characteristics of both, but I am not their equal.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
So this firstborn son, the image of God, is also the Mighty God and Eternal Father. This all makes sense when you put everything together and take everything in context.

Mighty is not Almighty, is it?

Who taught Jesus? Did he say? Yes, constantly.
Why did he say “let, not my will, but yours take place”?

And how will he be an “Eternal Father”? Father means life-giver, and when he gives life back to those who will be resurrected, in the “Last Day”. John 5:28-29; John 6:40,44.

Furthermore, Paul pointed out in 1 Corinthians 15:45, the role Jesus plays. Pretty self-explanatory, relating this to the subject at hand. (What was lost for mankind, was perfect, human life; through sacrificing his perfect human life, and giving its value to Jehovah, he bought perfect human life back for obedient mankind.

Yes, “All authority has been given” Him! Matthew 28:18.

(Which means, he didn’t have it from the gitgo.)

That would make him a mighty god!

Last edited:

YoursTrue

I would say yes they worked together but as Jesus being the word of God.

At Hebrews 1:8 God says "O God" to Jesus,
But about the Son he [Jehovah] says, "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.
That is correct as I understand it. That means (to me) that God the Father, the Almighty, gave Jesus the throne, ruled by justice. More to follow another time. Also, I notice it says, "a scepter of justice WILL BE the scepter of YOUR kingdom." Thus it was also in the future from that point. There's more to the scripture (context), but it gets detailed, and I'll just leave it there for the moment. Thanks for your comments.

SLPCCC

And how will he be an “Eternal Father”? Father means life-giver, and when he gives life back to those who will be resurrected, in the “Last Day”. John 5:28-29; John 6:40,44.

I never used the adjective almighty. I said The adjective being used as Mighty is also used for God At Isaiah 10: 21 it says … remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God. Jeremiah 32:18 pronounces: … O great and mighty God. And Zephaniah lauds in similar terms: "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one" (Zephaniah 3:17). Who is this mighty one? The answer is in Isaiah 9:6 and notice that he is also called "Eternal Father"

I know it's difficult to change one's belief. But to me, it's showing that Athanasius had reasons to believe that the first century Christian taught the trinity.

YoursTrue

We will be forever grateful for Jesus' sacrifice.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I never used the adjective almighty. I said The adjective being used as Mighty is also used for God At Isaiah 10: 21 it says … remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God. Jeremiah 32:18 pronounces: … O great and mighty God. And Zephaniah lauds in similar terms: "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one" (Zephaniah 3:17). Who is this mighty one? The answer is in Isaiah 9:6 and notice that he is also called "Eternal Father"

I know it's difficult to change one's belief. But to me, it's showing that Athanasius had reasons to believe that the first century Christian taught the trinity.
I’m mighty, too.

IOW, many others can be mighty, too.
But only one can be ALmighty.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Look at this for a minute: Daniel 7:14
King James Bible
"And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed."
Given him? Yes, given him. I don't know how others understand this, but I'm not sure if some might think the two (the Giver and the Receiver) were always equal.
Right relationship is defined by reciprocity, whose nature is equity.

sojourner

He came from heaven. He knew that. He knew that if a person did not believe him it would not be good for them.
And what’s the effective difference between “believing in” Jesus and “believing in” John Doe?

sojourner

That we inherit dna does not make me equal to the two from which I received the combination. It took two to make one. I am not equal to my parents in age. I have characteristics of both, but I am not their equal.
Of course you are! In every way that spiritually counts! You have a soul that is within the same Soul as theirs. You’re made out of the same physical stuff. You both resonate with the same spiritual rhythm. You reflect God in the same way they do.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 ....
The prayer in Acts of the Apostles 4:24-30.....
Acts of the Apostles 2, Peter’s speech....
These are all clear indications of just the opposite!

Any that you think supports the trinity, just read the context.... you’ll find differently. I did.

I notice you’ve ignored many points I’ve made?

I think you are set, huh?

SLPCCC

I’m mighty, too.

IOW, many others can be mighty, too.
But only one can be ALmighty.

You know that God said not to have any other God before him. Yet Jesus is called Mighty God, Eternal Father. Even the first century Christians called Jesus God.

Godwastheword.gif

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Even the first century Christians called Jesus God.

Where?
Since the Scriptures don’t contradict themselves (when we have an accurate understanding), how does that tie in w/ 1 Corinthians 8:5-6?
So....where? Look at the context, and keep in mind the meaning of the Greek words used.

SLPCCC

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 ....
The prayer in Acts of the Apostles 4:24-30.....
Acts of the Apostles 2, Peter’s speech....
These are all clear indications of just the opposite!

Any that you think supports the trinity, just read the context.... you’ll find differently. I did.

I notice you’ve ignored many points I’ve made?

I think you are set, huh?

Some people that are attached to a religion have a hard time changing their views even if you show them facts because that would mean losing their religion, getting kicked out. They would close their ears and eyes to avoid that. In fact, in some religions changing views means not only losing one's religion but losing whole families and friends. Is that your case? Or do you have an open mind so as to not let that influence what scripture says? I'm not attached to any religion so I follow the truth where ever it leads on what the bible teaches. I won't lose religion and family and friends. I'm trying to find all the scriptural evidence for or against the trinity.

Last edited:

SLPCCC

Where?
Since the Scriptures don’t contradict themselves (when we have an accurate understanding), how does that tie in w/ 1 Corinthians 8:5-6?
So....where? Look at the context, and keep in mind the meaning of the Greek words used.

I already showed you that Jesus was called God in the Old Testament even if it was mighty God. Now if I show you in the New Testament, will you then understand??

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I understand. One scripture alone is not enough to prove a point. I'm sure Athanasius when making his argument, did not use this one scripture only.

The following scripture reminds me of Colossians 1:15-17. At Isaiah God is saying that he is the maker of all things just like when it says at Col 1:15-17 that Jesus, the word, created All Things. And notice that God says "BY Myself" and "All Alone"

Isaiah, 44:24, "Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, 'I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, stretching out the heavens by Myself, and spreading out the earth all alone.'"

Yahweh alone is the Creator. There is only one, as it says in Genesis 1:1, but the holy spirit was the facilitator. Likewise all things came into existence "through" the son as another facilitator. He was the fabricator of the raw materials that God brought into existence. The raw materials of creation were not a product of the son but of the Father through the use of his dynamic energy....his spirit.
The son was at his Father's side, no doubt following his instructions according to Proverbs 8:30-31.
He is the "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26-27.

How can God create all things and by himself if Jesus also created all things? One can easily conclude that God was the word.

There is more than one way to interpret the words of scripture. But they all have to mesh because God does not contradict himself. If something is out of line with the rest of scripture, then something is wrong with our understanding and needs deeper study.

Revelation ch 3 indicates two things......verse 12 states...
"‘The one who conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out from it anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the New Jerusalem that descends out of heaven from my God, and my own new name."

This statement from the resurrected Jesus indicates that 1) four times in one verse, his Father is still his God even in heaven.....the trinity denies this.

Verse 14 says....
"....These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God".

2) He is a creation of his Father......the very first of a vast number of "sons". (Even Adam as a direct creation is called a "son of God". Luke 3:38)

If the pre-human Jesus was described as "the beginning of the Creation by God", then that explains why he alone out of all the "sons of God", is described as "only begotten". This son was the first and only direct creation of his Father.....who alone is the Almighty.

In John 1:1 the Word is described as being "with God" "in the beginning"....don't we have to ask, "the beginning of what?" God did not have a beginning but his son as a creation of his Father did.
Then we have to ask..."how can you be "WITH" someone and at the same time "BE" that same someone?" Since God created logic, how can the state of his existence be illogical. The trinity is an illogical nonsense scripturally speaking.....concocted no doubt by God's arch enemy to fool people into worshiping another god, and therefore breaking the First Commandment, which separates them from him.

Nowhere in all of scripture does Jesus confess to being the Almighty.....there can only be one....but there are many "mighty gods" described in scripture. Jesus is one of them in the true definition of "theos". Human judges in Israel carried that title because of their divinely constituted authority....so did Jesus.

How or why would God hide his true nature from his trusted servants in Bible times? Abraham, who is the only man described in the Bible as "God's friend", never once even hinted that his God was anything other than a single entity who valued his uniqueness as "the Most High over all the earth"...there is no one higher the "the Most High". (Psalm 83:18 KJV)

Food for thought....?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Some people that are attached to a religion have a hard time changing their views....

Yeah, tell me about it! Not just “a religion”, but particular doctrines as well.

......even if you show them facts because that would mean losing their religion, getting kicked out. They would close their ears and eyes to avoid that. In fact, in some religions changing views means not only losing one's religion but losing whole families and friends. Is that your case?
No, in fact, most of my family are of a different religion. I’ve studied.....deeply. (Can’t you tell?) And I changed my beliefs, because I was shown Scripturally where I was wrong. Most members of my faith, come from other religions. They’ve diligently researched the Bible.

I'm trying to find all the scriptural evidence for or against the trinity.

Really? You seem to be attached to the trinity, certainly not against.

Last edited: