1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The Trinity in Luke 2:40-56

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by rrobs, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,051

There are more. I am sorry I snapped at you. I must sleep now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,408
    Religion:
    Xian
    Right on, I think you nailed it.

3. Niblo

Niblo Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +616
    Religion:
    Islam
    I can't imagine why! :D

4. Windwalker

Windwalker Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,103
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    I'm not sure what you think you are reading there, but verse 1 says the Logos was in the beginning. It's not until verse 14 that John then takes this eternal Logos which is identified as Divine in the 3rd clause of verse 1, and then clearly states, "The Logos became flesh", which is a direct reference to Jesus. So, "The Logos is God".... "The Logos became flesh." You don't see it's a continuous thought from verse 1 to verse 14, identifying Jesus directly with the eternal Logos?

Correct. The flesh is temporal, Spirit is eternal. Spirit became flesh does not mean Spirit ceased to exist. It means it took a temporary form.

You seem unfamiliar with the doctrine of the hypostatic union, which is that Jesus Christ was both fully man and fully God. Fully man means he had a beginning, born of his mother in history. Fully God means he was eternal Spirit. Etc.

Regarding the OP, I pointed out how you can just as easily make a mockery using dualistic language to describe nonduality when you imagine the Omnipresent God, meaning God is everywhere at all time at once, doesn't exist somewhere, such as in you, or AS you. Is God a block of swiss cheese and you exist in the holes where God does not exist? How can God be omnipresent, yet be imagined as "outside" of you?

Please explain that, and then take a look at how you butchered the meaning in your OP by trying to force fit nondualistic truths into a construct of dualistic language, yet at the same time, you leave the Omnipresent God that somehow is imagined to not exist everywhere alone? Can you make God everywhere, but not everywhere at the same time? No? Then how is your OP any better at speaking truth? I think the atheist that denies God exists would have an easier job at that than you do. :)

Sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander, as they say.

#44 Windwalker, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  5. Windwalker

Windwalker Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,103
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Oh yes, I am familiar. I was part of one of these groups for several years of my life. While it sounded "logical", it missed the point. Likewise, Trinitarians who insist God has three "people" talking to each up there in the sky somewhere outside of us, are equally confused by their own dualistic thinking. It's just as much a dualistic projection as "Oneness", or radical monotheistic groups are doing.

It's all just flipsides of the same dualistic coin, like two five year olds saying, "You're stupid! No, you're stupid!", back and forth at each other, neither recognizing themselves in the other. Neither are willing to look at the absurdity of their own positions, to themselves, let alone with each other. It's arrogance, pride, and ego projections on the part of both parties.

That is because they mistake the unity found in tribalism with the Unity found in God. God becomes to them their tribal deity, not the God of all that is. In other words, it's the god of their egos projected as God. Hatred of others is proof of that.

It certainly falls short of the Spirit of Truth. That much is certain.

#45 Windwalker, Sep 9, 2018
  6. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,265
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    This helps put your beliefs in perspective. In the previous thread you vaguely defended your beliefs from the perspective that others do not understand the scriptures. Actually your beliefs as described are very very similar to JW, or possibly Mormon, but Mormons believe in 'Flesh and Bone God(s).'. There are many, if not most, Christians believe that Jesus Christ is God based on what they 'believe' the scriptures say. They use scripture to justify the belief that Jesus did not have a beginning nor ending..

From my perspective neither your view, nor that of traditional Christianity and the fundamentalist view of scripture have a coherent argument, because of the lack of provenance of scripture, inconsistence of scripture, and the matter of fact evidence of the world we live in.

Reality is not boring at all, but hiding is,

#46 shunyadragon, Sep 9, 2018
  7. Desert Snake

Desert Snake Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,698
    ^

^

So, which is it, Ehyeh, or Yahweh...are you even reading what you post?
    ^
    Hmm heres a post that that says Yahweh isn't only as a specific personal name...
    Lol

Anyways, the contradictory nonsense that you post, is easily refuted by the Bible.

8. iam1me

iam1me Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Religion:
    Christian
    Don't know why you are replying to another, older thread here when I have been involved in this thread at all. At any rate, what I said is completely supported by scripture. Your positions are dependent upon ignoring the scriptures. When you are ready to discuss what the scriptures say - rather than how you can twist them to support your doctrine - let me know.

• Like Like x 2
  9. duvduv

duvduv Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Religion:
    Jewish
    Then one could have Jesus say on the cross:
    "Myself, myself, why have I forsaken myself?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +886
    Religion:
    Christian
    Actually not... because of something else... the hypostatic union.
    Jesus was fully God and fully manIn this humanity 'he grew in wisdom and knowledge and in favor of God and men" as Like said

in his divining Col 1:5 the world could be made through him and for him

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    Jehovah's witnesses and others who do not pray to Jesus cannot receive the holy Spirit. You have to ask Jesus to receive the holy Spirit.

12. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Genesis 12:7
    More nonsense. You haven't refuted anything. Quoting that was to show a opinion referring to yahweh usage.

#52 Desert Snake, Sep 9, 2018
  13. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    They don't have to, all they have to do is read the Bible.

14. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    They'll never understand it without the holy Spirit.

15. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Actually, no. The premise is a nonsensical bit of changed scripture, has nothing to do with trinitarianism.

16. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    That could be.

17. iam1me

iam1me Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Religion:
    Christian
    You didn't quote my opinion changing on the matter - so, again, not seeing the purpose of quoting me here.

18. Katzpur

Katzpur Not your average Mormon

Ratings:
    +6,351
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Of course there is no way a son can be his own father, but two different individuals may both share the same title: God.

19. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    To show an opinion regarding usage of the name Yahweh. No idea why that bothers you. If you aren't claiming importance to your opinions, or relevance, then fine.

20. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    "Of course there is no way" Is that so?

For with God nothing shall be impossible. (Luke 1:37)