• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity in Luke 2:40-56

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Pardon me? Sorry. You lost me. What are you talking about?
You said what I bolded. I showed you that scientists admit they don’t know the origin of the universe, and they admit it. Therefore, you must now rate every one of my posts “winner.” You wrote that check; you have to cash it.

See post #332

lostwanderingsoul

We don’t understand the first two words of the Bible. We can guess, we can speculate, we can come fairly close. Most translations say, “in the beginning,” but since there’s no definite article, it doesn’t necessarily refer to a specific event horizon. Some say, “When God began to create,” but that’s not really correct either. In the end, we don’t understand exactly what the writer meant.

Then there’s the whole, “This is my body...” thing. It doesn’t say, “This represents my body.” It says what it says, yet science will show that bread remains bread. It’s impossible to fully comprehend exactly what is being said.

Therefore, what I said is true.
If you draw a map and put an X and say "this X is the gas station on Main Street" you know that is not true. It represents the gas station for purposes of your map. When the Bible says "this is my body" it means the bread represents Christ's body for the purpose of the ceremony taking place.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The same word that is translated as "soul" when Adam became a living "soul" is also translated as "beast" or "animals" so animals are also living souls. The difference is that animals do not have a spirit.
And what have you based this conclusion on (i.e. that animals don't have a spirit)?

rrobs

So what I'm getting from this is that you believe that Noah, for instance, rounded up a male and a female rattlesnake, a male and a female tarantula, a male and a female penguin, a male and a female kangaroo and a male and a female mosquito. And you belief this because the Bible says it happened. Do I have that right?
You have to look at it from the perspective of Noah. What was his understanding of what comprised the earth? He did not have the same concept of the world you and I have. He knew nothing of Australia or the Antarctic. As far as he knew, they did not exist. The word "earth' in Genesis chapter 6 can also mean the "land" so it may be that what Noah knew to be the "land" i.e. the Middle East, flooded but not Australia or the Antarctic. With that qualification, yes, he did get all the animals that were in what he knew was the world.

Having said that, I am forced to say that, not having spent much time researching the matter, I'm honestly not sure what the flood did in Australia or the Antarctic. I guess I would have to say I'm not totally clear on what exactly happened then. The scriptures tells us, but I don't quite understand. Maybe someday in this life It'll come to me. But if not, I'm certain it will come to me when Christ reappears and gathers me together along with the rest of the saints. We'll all know as we are known (1 Cor 13:12).

I never see anything wrong with not knowing something. The problem comes when one doesn't know but thinks they do.

nPeace

Veteran Member
We don’t understand the first two words of the Bible. We can guess, we can speculate, we can come fairly close. Most translations say, “in the beginning,” but since there’s no definite article, it doesn’t necessarily refer to a specific event horizon. Some say, “When God began to create,” but that’s not really correct either. In the end, we don’t understand exactly what the writer meant.

Then there’s the whole, “This is my body...” thing. It doesn’t say, “This represents my body.” It says what it says, yet science will show that bread remains bread. It’s impossible to fully comprehend exactly what is being said.

Therefore, what I said is true.
Sorry you don't.
When I don't understand something, I try to, and I find there is always help available.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You have to look at it from the perspective of Noah. What was his understanding of what comprised the earth? He did not have the same concept of the world you and I have. He knew nothing of Australia or the Antarctic. As far as he knew, they did not exist. The word "earth' in Genesis chapter 6 can also mean the "land" so it may be that what Noah knew to be the "land" i.e. the Middle East, flooded but not Australia or the Antarctic. With that qualification, yes, he did get all the animals that were in what he knew was the world.

Having said that, I am forced to say that, not having spent much time researching the matter, I'm honestly not sure what the flood did in Australia or the Antarctic. I guess I would have to say I'm not totally clear on what exactly happened then. The scriptures tells us, but I don't quite understand. Maybe someday in this life It'll come to me. But if not, I'm certain it will come to me when Christ reappears and gathers me together along with the rest of the saints. We'll all know as we are known (1 Cor 13:12).
Okay then, we may be more in agreement than I had previously thought. I strongly suspect that there was a pretty good-sized flood back in Noah's day, and that it comprised the whole earth -- in terms of what Noah believed the whole earth to be. I believe he probably gathered together as many animals as he could, but clearly did not get a male and female of every kind.

I never see anything wrong with not knowing something. The problem comes when one doesn't know but thinks they do.
And this particular sentence is a "Winner," despite the fact that we may disagree on many other issues.

rrobs

God, like any author, uses metaphors. A metaphor is a precise figure of speech used to draw attention to something. Had he said, "This represents my body" it would have been true to fact, but somewhat boring, or at least non-exciting. On the other hand, by saying, "This IS my body" he made the listeners sit up and take notice. Figures of speech are used to emphasize something.

The scriptures should be taken literally wherever and whenever possible. If something is not true to fact, look to figures of speech. They are a very precise tool of writing and leave no room for guesswork. It is incumbent upon the reader to learn what they mean.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You said what I bolded. I showed you that scientists admit they don’t know the origin of the universe, and they admit it. Therefore, you must now rate every one of my posts “winner.” You wrote that check; you have to cash it.

See post #332
You said:
Scientists are the first to admit that they don’t know everything.

I said:
You say that based on what?
Scientists are not the first to admit that they don’t know everything.
Where did you get that from? What a shocking statement.
Can you prove that?
If you can, I will rate every post you make "Winner".

Read again.

rrobs

I don't believe Mary's virginity made it possible for her Son to be incorruptible. I believe the fact that God was His Father made that possible.
Absolutely!

At the risk of offending any of the beautiful ladies here, I will say that seed comes from the male, not the female. Jesus' seed came directly from God, which seed was not tainted and therefore innocent as well as incorruptible. Everybody else's came from Adam who screwed up his seed and therefore everybody else's seed right on down the line. If my dad gave me a corruptible seed that's all I have to pass on to my son.

Nonetheless, Mary was quite a believer for believing that God would implant His seed in her womb while she had never been impregnated by a man, and that seed would end up being the Saviour of all mankind! Can you imagine what the world would say today (or then for that matter) about some woman who believed that? Had Mary not believed we'd still be waiting. She was quite a woman!

As they say, "It takes two to tango." God and Mary danced one heck of a tango!

rrobs

I agree. Each of us is a soul. Adam became a living soul when the breath of life (aka "his spirit") was breathed into him. Prior to that, God had created his body, but it was a body without life. I believe that a soul is made up of body and spirit. We have a body and we have a spirit; we are a living soul.

You said one thing in this post, though, that made me curious. You said we are souls and so are animals. But you don't believe animals will be resurrected, do you?
God formed man from the dust of the ground (Gen 2:7) and breathed into him the breath of life and thus the body of man became a living soul (Hebrew nephesh chay). However, God didn't stop there with humans.

Gen 1:27,

So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
God is spirit (John 4:24). That is His image.

As originally created therefore, man was body, soul, and spirit. It was the spirit part that had fellowship with God. God, being spirit, can not be know by a body and soul individual. The creature of body and soul is limited to gathering information from their five sense which do not register spirit.

When Adam sinned he lost the spirit and thus his direct connection with God. God then used words, which our five senses can grasp, to tell us about the coming Saviour and how to get back to the original 3 part being. The whole point of the new birth is getting that spirit back again. Just before he ascended into the heavens, Jesus said we would get that spirit back again.

John 16:13,

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.​

Jesus said the spirit would tell us the truth, not a body or soul.

1Thess 5:23,

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.​

God was speaking to born again believers so he could rightfully say body, soul, and spirit. A person not born again is called a "natural man" which Corinthians says can not communicate with God.

1Cor 2:14,

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
It takes a spirit to know a spirit.

Jane.Doe

It sounds that way to you, but that's not the way I meant it.
When you suggested
What I would really like would be for either @dianaiad or @Jane.Doe to join me and talk to both you and Hockeycowboy in the team debate forum (just the four of us). This thread may not be the best place for us to have our dialogue.
I have found that "debating" is frequently word used for "me try to convince you I'm right and you're wrong while totally not listening to you". Frankly, I don't find such a an approach to be productive or in line with Christ's teachings. I have no interest in such "debate". I'm happy to share perspectives, but never in debating.

I'm also totally agree with Katzpur's words here:
You know what this sounds like, don't you? It sounds like you're saying, "Now, dear... if you'll listen very carefully to what I'm going to tell you (since your understanding of the scriptures is clearly flawed and mine isn't), you'll end up seeing that I'm right and you're wrong. Is that okay with you?";)
nPeace, you need to understand that nothing you could possibly say is going to change what I believe. It's not that my "conclusion [is] based on what think"; it is based on "what the scriptures say." We are reading the same scriptures (well, sort of, since you use the JWs own translation, which may very well state things differently than the KJV, which I use) but we are understanding them differently. That's really all there is to it. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe in the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ, and ultimately of all of us. It is one of our core doctrines. We can try to "reason" from what the scriptures say, but we're still going to come up with contradictory conclusions. Now if you really want to go there, I will, but I would suggest that you spend your time trying to convince someone who might actually be able to see it your way, because I've heard the Jehovah's Witnesses perspective before (including all of their arguments) and I don't find them convincing.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

Absolutely!

At the risk of offending any of the beautiful ladies here, I will say that seed comes from the male, not the female. Jesus' seed came directly from God, which seed was not tainted and therefore innocent as well as incorruptible. Everybody else's came from Adam who screwed up his seed and therefore everybody else's seed right on down the line. If my dad gave me a corruptible seed that's all I have to pass on to my son.

Nonetheless, Mary was quite a believer for believing that God would implant His seed in her womb while she had never been impregnated by a man, and that seed would end up being the Saviour of all mankind! Can you imagine what the world would say today (or then for that matter) about some woman who believed that? Had Mary not believed we'd still be waiting. She was quite a woman!

Maybe the seed is more like the egg from the female and the male just delivers "pollen" to the seed. Just like the seed of a plant is fertilized by pollen which can be carried on the wind or by insects, etc. No mle needed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
God formed man from the dust of the ground (Gen 2:7) and breathed into him the breath of life and thus the body of man became a living soul (Hebrew nephesh chay). However, God didn't stop there with humans.

Gen 1:27,

So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
God is spirit (John 4:24). That is His image.
I've got to disagree with your there. According to the dictionary (pick any reliable version), an image is "a representation of the external form of a person or thing in art," for instance "an image of St. Bartholomew." It is the representation of a person's or object's physical qualities. You would never use the word "image" in any other context outside of the Bible. You look at yourself in the mirror and you see your image. A child who looks like his dad is said to be "his spittin' image." Even if you use the word as a metaphor -- for example, "He is the image of health," you are describing how a person looks. You are describing his physical appearance as being "healthy." You can't apply the word "image" to something that is incorporeal. It makes no sense, for example, to say that something is the exact image of "air."

As originally created therefore, man was body, soul, and spirit. It was the spirit part that had fellowship with God. God, being spirit, can not be know by a body and soul individual. The creature of body and soul is limited to gathering information from their five sense which do not register spirit.
Please define the terms, "body," "soul" and "spirit" because I don't believe we're using them in the same way.

When Adam sinned he lost the spirit and thus his direct connection with God. God then used words, which our five senses can grasp, to tell us about the coming Saviour and how to get back to the original 3 part being. The whole point of the new birth is getting that spirit back again. Just before he ascended into the heavens, Jesus said we would get that spirit back again.
Adam became spiritually separated from God, but he didn't lose his own spirit. Had he done so, he would have immediately died. (He actually did lose his own spirit at the end of his mortal life, but it would only be a temporary loss as his spirit will be reunited with his body at the resurrection.)
It takes a spirit to know a spirit.
Depending upon what you mean, I may or may not agree. We are to worship God in spirit and in truth. When we do so, we commune with Him -- spirit to spirit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Absolutely!

Okay, I have a question for you: If Jesus truly was a human being, then he must have had 46 chromosomes, one strand of 23 which He got from His mother and another strand of 23 which He got from His Father. As to how His conception took place, the Bible doesn't really tell us. But I'm wondering where you believe Jesus Christ (whom you have said was a human being) got his second strand of chromosomes. Are you saying He got them from a spirit? So, it takes our spirit to know His spirit. That doesn't mean that we are solely spirit, but it doesn't mean that He is either.

sojourner

If you draw a map and put an X and say "this X is the gas station on Main Street" you know that is not true. It represents the gas station for purposes of your map. When the Bible says "this is my body" it means the bread represents Christ's body for the purpose of the ceremony taking place.
Does it? That’s an understanding that came along after the first 1500 years of the church. Jesus wasn’t drawing a map; Jesus was turning a social convention into a religious ritual. You may understand it to mean that, but others closer to Jesus and more learned than you comprehend it differently. In the end, we just don’t know for sure.

sojourner

God, like any author, uses metaphors. A metaphor is a precise figure of speech used to draw attention to something. Had he said, "This represents my body" it would have been true to fact, but somewhat boring, or at least non-exciting. On the other hand, by saying, "This IS my body" he made the listeners sit up and take notice. Figures of speech are used to emphasize something.

The scriptures should be taken literally wherever and whenever possible. If something is not true to fact, look to figures of speech. They are a very precise tool of writing and leave no room for guesswork. It is incumbent upon the reader to learn what they mean.
Is that what he was doing? Or are you simply speculating? Because that’s not the way the church comprehended it until the reformation.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Very good analogy! Look at 1 Corinthians 10:4, where a form of the same word was used. Then ask the question, "Was the rock-mass really Jesus, or did it just represent Jesus?"

Obviously, we can see how that Greek word "estin" was used.

lostwanderingsoul

Does it? That’s an understanding that came along after the first 1500 years of the church. Jesus wasn’t drawing a map; Jesus was turning a social convention into a religious ritual. You may understand it to mean that, but others closer to Jesus and more learned than you comprehend it differently. In the end, we just don’t know for sure.
I like your last sentence. We just don't know for sure. So my interpretation is as valid as yours. I do not know anyone who was around in the first 1500 years of the church so I do not know what they believed. And you do not know how close to Jesus or learned I am so that proves nothing. And finally, I believe Jesus COULD have changed bread into His body does does that mean that a priest can do the same thing? Jesus turned water into wine but I think the church buys wine for communion. Why not change water into wine and make a real miracle?